Thread: Event Photography Lens

Default Event Photography Lens

I'll be doing some photography at a hotel ballroom event. With that kind of lighting and layout, what lenses do you normally use?

I think aperture is my priority here, as I think f2.8 lenses can produce some really nice bokeh here.

What focal lengths would you reccommend? would prime lenses be good in such a scenario?

I might want to leave out the flash, as i want to keep the lighting effects there.
    Nikon D5000 Nikkor Lenses 18-55mm & 55-200mm

Default Re: Event Photography Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronta View Post
    I'll be doing some photography at a hotel ballroom event. With that kind of lighting and layout, what lenses do you normally use?

I think aperture is my priority here, as I think f2.8 lenses can produce some really nice bokeh here.

What focal lengths would you reccommend? would prime lenses be good in such a scenario?

I might want to leave out the flash, as i want to keep the lighting effects there.
    Consider the 28-75mm Tamron f2.8 as it's one of the nice cheap lens. But it loses out on the wide, if you need the wide, consider the 17-50 instead.

And if you have more dough, then look at the Nikon ones such as 24-70 f2.8

But a flash is ALWAYS good to have as you may need to fill in shadow details or help boost the scene.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

cheaper alternative to the nikon 24-70 2.8 is also the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG HSM or non-HSM version.

I am a newbie too....I am going for holiday this coming November. Currently I own a Canon 500D with 18-55mm lense. I have tried taking photos lately but i still feel that this lense does not seem to be able to produce what i wanted. I take pictures of scenery more and of course the recent F1. I had talked to a friend of mine and he asked me to look at Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 for the mid range type of lense for my current preference of photo taking. Good to hear more of what this lense can take. Pretty new to DSLRs so please forgive my ignorance...

yet to explore the rest of the threads on lenses....

Quote Originally Posted by Steman View Post
    I am a newbie too....I am going for holiday this coming November. Currently I own a Canon 500D with 18-55mm lense. I have tried taking photos lately but i still feel that this lense does not seem to be able to produce what i wanted. I take pictures of scenery more and of course the recent F1. I had talked to a friend of mine and he asked me to look at Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 for the mid range type of lense for my current preference of photo taking. Good to hear more of what this lense can take. Pretty new to DSLRs so please forgive my ignorance...

if you are new, i suggest you hold on to ur money.. don't spend without a need to...

doing on holiday doesn't mean you need to fork out more and more money just for a lens to "help" you take "nicer" photos...

taking photos, part of it is relying on the equipment, but the other part is on urself... if you can't take nice photos with a 18-55 kit lens.. it doesn't mean you will take nicer photos with a 17-55 f2.8...

its forgivable that you couldn't get what you wanted for the recent F1, unless you have sufficient experience shooting, even if you had a expensive body n lens you will also have trouble with such fast action sports..

the 18-55 can be used for wide enough shots.. and suitable walk around for holiday.. the size n weight of ur cam doesn't bog you down when you are touring the whole day.. you don't attract needless attention from robbers with huge lens.. and also you get to enjoy the holiday more and not be so uptight...

if you really really must get sth for ur trip.. then i would suggest you just rent a lens.. maybe a convenient 18-135 or 18-200... then you don't have to worry about changing lens..

or a tamron 17-50 f2.8, then you don't need to worry about no flash..

or buy a 2nd hand 50mm 1.8 for low lighting...

don't make the mistake of buying just for this trip, then after that keep in the cabinet for months..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by Steman View Post

Enzeru21 was right, Just hang on to your 18-55 kit lens for now and try to explore it. Maybe you will find that it is a lens that suit you more then the other lenses. don waste extra cash by impulse.

Because you are still new to this hobby maybe i suggest that you explore this lens for around 6 month to 1 year after that then you upgrade to a better lens. In this period of time you might learn something interesting and also help you in choosing for your next lens.
    Last edited by cadefox; 29th September 2010 at 10:59 PM.
    [Canon 500D][EF-S 15-85mm][EF 50mm II][430EX II]
    HomePage's[http://cadefox.multiply.com/]

Btw, dun make the mistake thinking a fast lens will work wonders in all low light conditions. At times, a decent flash will need to be used.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site