Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

  1. #1

    Default HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    I have a prob using Photomatix!!
    Be it nite shot or a day shot...It look way too noisy,,,

    any advice??

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Hi there, in order to properly diagnose and help you, I'd be good if you can provide the EXIF of your shots. On what ISO did you shoot with? How many exposures were there? What camera did you use? What file format were your shots?
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

  3. #3

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Without seeing your images or your work flow it's hard to know if there is an issue.

    You should note noise issues using tone mapping, http://www.hdrsoft.com/support/faq_p...tix.html#noise

  4. #4
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Hi there, in order to properly diagnose and help you, I'd be good if you can provide the EXIF of your shots. On what ISO did you shoot with? How many exposures were there? What camera did you use? What file format were your shots?
    Other than that, post your raw photos and your finalised HDR photos for an indepth review so that we can give an objective feedback.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  5. #5

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    I used lightroom to export metadate

    http://www.mediafire.com/?fqh2a2jvrww7gq5


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Any sample of the images before and after HDR?

    How grainy is grainy? You have to understand that HDR will inadvertently introduce noise into your image - so all methods of reducing noise is necessary. You shot at ISO200. If possible, you should shoot at ISO100 or lower (if your cam allows). There also a need to do post-processing noise reduction to remove the noisy pixels, and there're many such programs/plug-ins around.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

  7. #7

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mktun View Post
    I have a prob using Photomatix!!
    Be it nite shot or a day shot...It look way too noisy,,,

    any advice??
    it could be anything.

    the fact is, you can definitely get relatively noise-free images.....








  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it could be anything.

    the fact is, you can definitely get relatively noise-free images.....







    last shot is fantastic! how did manage to achieve such a noiseless image?

  9. #9

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    last shot is fantastic! how did manage to achieve such a noiseless image?
    by not pushing it too hard in photomatix, in short.
    Last edited by night86mare; 28th September 2010 at 11:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but not pushing it too hard in photomatix, in short.
    brilliant image, nonetheless.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    by not pushing it too hard in photomatix, in short.
    To a beginner, what does "not pushing it too hard" mean?

    If you are keen in helping, then perhaps a bit more tips will be useful, that if it you'd want to share...And finally of course sharing your superbly taken and processed photos (I quite like them, really) doesn't answer the TS' question, does it?
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

  12. #12

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    "The more knowledge you attain, the more humble you should be."

  13. #13

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    To a beginner, what does "not pushing it too hard" mean?

    If you are keen in helping, then perhaps a bit more tips will be useful, that if it you'd want to share...And finally of course sharing your superbly taken and processed photos (I quite like them, really) doesn't answer the TS' question, does it?
    the main problem with most people when they are doing HDR is to happily push everything to the maximum. a lighter hand, as with all post processing matters... will always help.

    why did i not answer? because it depends. my tone mapping settings vary with every single picture, sometimes the strength is 20, sometimes it goes up to 80. every single picture that you see had different tone mapping settings.

    only very vague advice should be given in this area, because i am of the view that one has to play with the program more to gain further insights to achieve what they want. i used to post up tone mapping settings - that was in the past when i took the over simplistic view that there was a set of settings that one should always , always use. that has changed.

    so tell me, when there is nothing really constant, what advice should i give? i thought the pictures were a good way to point him to what i felt were natural looking hdrs which were noise free. certainly if you take a light hand, you would not get too much noise. that is a given.


    on another note... for someone so keen to point out things, you certainly don't seem to apply it on yourself.... i would not classify what amounts to "noise reduction program lor" as a very useful answer either........
    Last edited by night86mare; 29th September 2010 at 11:10 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ordinarypeople View Post
    i'm not sure if StuckInCustoms has taken a new direction, but when i last saw his images, they are in no way a good indication of how hdr should be used. that is my opinion. with his heavy hand in the hdr department, i guarantee you that if you viewed any of his images large, before noise reduction was run, it would be significantly grainy.

    that said, he has quite a huge flickr entourage... if that floats your boat.....

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the main problem with most people when they are doing HDR is to happily push everything to the maximum. a lighter hand, as with all post processing matters... will always help.

    why did i not answer? because it depends. my tone mapping settings vary with every single picture, sometimes the strength is 20, sometimes it goes up to 80. every single picture that you see had different tone mapping settings.

    only very vague advice should be given in this area, because i am of the view that one has to play with the program more to gain further insights to achieve what they want. i used to post up tone mapping settings - that was in the past when i took the over simplistic view that there was a set of settings that one should always , always use. that has changed.

    so tell me, when there is nothing really constant, what advice should i give? i thought the pictures were a good way to point him to what i felt were natural looking hdrs which were noise free. certainly if you take a light hand, you would not get too much noise. that is a given.


    on another note... for someone so keen to point out things, you certainly don't seem to apply it on yourself.... i would not classify what amounts to "noise reduction program lor" as a very useful answer either........
    i must agree with you. photography and post production isn't about constants and settings.

  16. #16

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ordinarypeople View Post
    Hi work seems over the top, but I guess it's personal preference.

  17. #17
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: HDR look grainy with Photomatix!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    To a beginner, what does "not pushing it too hard" mean?

    If you are keen in helping, then perhaps a bit more tips will be useful, that if it you'd want to share...And finally of course sharing your superbly taken and processed photos (I quite like them, really) doesn't answer the TS' question, does it?
    I too am a newbie to HDR. I think n86m is trying very hard to answer a question where the settings are varied. I've been following his style/methods for quite awhile and realised that each photo is different and thus the post processing methods would also vary. What worked well previously may not work well in the next photo and hence you got to vary again.

    In this respect, however we try to explain, the answer may never be suitable. It is good for TS to bring it out in the open so that we can give some feedback. The key to a better image is experience. There's no short cut to it.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •