Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting friend's church wedding. 50mm f1.8 or kit 18-55mm

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shooting friend's church wedding. 50mm f1.8 or kit 18-55mm

Quote Originally Posted by skyunicorn View Post
    a flash is so expensive though. I think I will just get the pop up flash diffuser.

I am also the bridesmaid, so really wondering how on earth am I going to carry so many things in a dress... hmmm
    no no no no no....

you need to leave the big guns at home and just bring a PnS...

You are one of the bridesmaid for goodness sake!

A Lumix GF1 with 20mm f1.7 pan cake lens will do the job !
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    there might be more then one bridesmaid.
    Yup there will be 4 bridesmaids.
    i don't think you should try to double job just becos there are more than one bridesmaid...

it just not really nice to sling a DSLR around ur dress.. try to help with the bride... and then move away and try to take a photo... and then try to walk down the aisle and then try to take a photo...

if i were you, i would leave aside the photography.. get another fren to do the shoot.. while you just enjoy being part of the wedding.. and sharing the joy of ur fren getting married...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

a flash is so expensive though. I think I will just get the pop up flash diffuser.

I am also the bridesmaid, so really wondering how on earth am I going to carry so many things in a dress... hmmm
    This multi tasking that your friend has given you, might end up not doing both jobs well. I think your friend really has low expectations.

Hmm...I just can't imagine someone in a dress carrying a dslr with a flashgun. I think you either be the bridesmaid, or the photographer. No offense but IMO your friend probably thinks being a photographer means just holding up the camera and anyhow shoot...
    Canon Kiss X3 BG-E5 | Canon 135 f2 | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 430EXII
    View my gallery

Be a good bride's maid . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

rent-a-lens
    indie

I'm not going to say that the 18-55 kit lens is insufficient cos I also used the kit lens on my 500D to shoot for my friend's wedding earlier this year.

It all depends on the lighting in the church. You may have to bump up the ISO a fair bit but it's still fairly doable. Just that, of course, a faster lens wouldn't hurt and would make the job a whole lot easier.

Here's a sample of a shot that was taken then:

EXIF:
    Camera: Canon EOS 500D
    Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55IS / 3.5-5.6
    Exposure: M
    Focal Length: 30.0mm
    Flash: Did not fire, compulsory mode
    Metering: Spot
    White Balance: Auto
    Shutter: 1/60
    Aperture: f5.6
    ISO: 1600

My advice would be to not be afraid to turning up the ISO, make sure the shutter remains at a decent speed to freeze motion but maintaining exposure. If you're limited by the aperture, work around it.

Oh, and very important - go there early, get a feel for the place. Or if they have rehearsals, go there, take some shots, test it out. Get a hold of the itinerary if there's one so that you have an idea of the sequence of events and where you could take shots as it progresses. The worst thing is for you to be right at the altar when the bride is entering, too far away to get any good shots and no time to get to the shot-taking spot.

But yes, make sure your friend's expectations are controlled cos with a kit lens, while you "can" get nice shots, the keepers may be lower simply because the conditions it has to work in may be more exacting.

EDIT: Oh, and shoot in RAW so that you lose minimal details. Many of my shots were saved by some simple touch-up thereafter. But there was an official photog, so the pressure wasn't on

EDIT 2: Oh.. I just read through all 3 pages and realised you're also the bridesmaid....
    Errrrm, yeah. I agree with the others - there's no way you're gonna cover the wedding/ceremony well if you're required to also perform your bridesmaid duties. That's like saying I'm the cashier and also the chef in a restaurant. It's not gonna work well......
    Last edited by Sivakis; 16th December 2010 at 10:41 PM.

if you are the bridesmaid, i would suggest that you get someone else to do the shooting for you, if not get a really compact camera to shoot alongside. it would be really weird for you to lug a dslr around, esp if you are gona be in a dress...

Also, tell your friends to exchange the rings and kiss more deliberately (slower than usual, if possible). That will give you a little bit more time to snap multiple pictures with slight adjustments.
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    if you are the bridesmaid, i would suggest that you get someone else to do the shooting for you, if not get a really compact camera to shoot alongside. it would be really weird for you to lug a dslr around, esp if you are gona be in a dress...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawbeansta View Post
    Also, tell your friends to exchange the rings and kiss more deliberately (slower than usual, if possible). That will give you a little bit more time to snap multiple pictures with slight adjustments.

The post was in early Sept........

Maybe wedding is already over

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123