Thread: Hi Sir's, Need help and advice

Default Hi Sir's, Need help and advice

Hello Sir's

I'm new kid to photography and i'm willing to buy a DSLR to get in to this hobby. I visited many forums and collected revies about Sony, Nikon and Canon. Last week i physically felt the experience with Sony alpha 550. It looks good with feel and specs. I compared same specifications with Nikon and Canon, both looks bit expensive. Nevertheless i willing to go for good one irrespevtive of brand. I belive its one time investment.
    I need your best advise on which one to buy. Many people says Sony is gud choice. But i want to know from you guys becaz you are really in to photography.
    Awaiting to hear from you guys.

Thnx a lot in advance in guiding me.

Default Re: Hi Sir's, Need help and advice

Best thing to do is ask youself:
    1. How much is my budget?
    2. What will i shoot ?
    3. Have I read the reviews?

Best of all, try the camera that you wanted including other brands like Nikon, Canon, etc!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by magodar1979 View Post
    Hello Sir's

I'm new kid to photography and i'm willing to buy a DSLR to get in to this hobby. I visited many forums and collected revies about Sony, Nikon and Canon. Last week i physically felt the experience with Sony alpha 550. It looks good with feel and specs. I compared same specifications with Nikon and Canon, both looks bit expensive. Nevertheless i willing to go for good one irrespevtive of brand. I belive its one time investment.
    I need your best advise on which one to buy. Many people says Sony is gud choice. But i want to know from you guys becaz you are really in to photography.
    Awaiting to hear from you guys.

Thnx a lot in advance in guiding me.
    sony is a good brand, just remember that camera body will keep changing, the true investment is on the lens, i prefer having a 400D/450D+24-70L lens rather than a 7D+18-55 kit lens(sorry for the example, i'm from C camp lol ), so you find out what lens range u want, basically canon, nikon or sony would have quite enough of lens collection but hey there's always a 3rd party brand to offer you more choice anyway, so just get down to courts(either the one at somerset or at tampines they have more model that u can play around) and handle all of the brands model and take it from there, happy hunting
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

The Sony A550 is a good choice, with many handy features like in-body IS, fast AF in live view, a tilt/flip LCD and good battery life. If you can get it for a good price, it's definitely worth it. I just used it in the F1 and got very nice pictures of both the cars and concerts, and the "shoot over everyone's head" ability (that the tilting LCD really helps with) was immensely useful.

As jed pointed out, ergonomics are a key factor here. If you held the A550 and it felt good, then it's a good choice for you.

As for lenses, Sony may not have as many as Canon and Nikon, but Sony has lenses to cover all the usual needs and has high-end G and Carl Zeiss lenses too. There are a lot of lenses from tokina, sigma and tamron too, and the marketplace is quite active.

For support, you can bring it to any sonystyle all over Singapore, no need to bring it to a specific ulu service centre.
    Alpha

Hi, Look around and see how many ppl carry canon, nikon and sony, and buy the latest model

Hi magodar1979,

you mentioned that you have touched and felt the Sony Alpha 550. Have you went and tried any Nikon or Canon cameras?

Important thing is you find a camera that is comfortable for you; comfortable as in the layout of the controls, physical weight and comfort for holding.

Although buying a camera can be a one-time investment (depending on how updated you want to be on new models), you may want to factor in costs of lenses and accessories (dry box, blower, filters, flash, etc).

Hi All
    Thnx for your quick replies.
    I too felt Nikon D90. The feel is awesome and the picture quality too. But the pricewise i felt bit expensive. Now i have a choice whether to go Alpha550 or Nikon D90.

buy A550 lah, and you'll see how CHEAP it is.

size also good...
    Last edited by banana0ne; 27th September 2010 at 11:13 AM.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

Hi All
    I too felt Nikon D90. The feel is awesome and the picture quality too. But the pricewise i felt bit expensive. Now i have a choice whether to go Alpha550 or Nikon D90.
    If you really like the look, feel, functions, specs, price of the Sony A550, then I think your choice is clear.

Get the Nikon D90..

hahaha no la just kidding
    A550 is a great cam. You won't really go wrong choosing from one of the big brands. They have more than enough lenses in their range to satisfy any hobbyist.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, Look around and see how many ppl carry canon, nikon and sony, and buy the latest model
    What nonsense advice lah.
    Alpha

Hi All
    The D90 uses the A500 sensor. So technically, the A550 has the slightly higher sensor spec.
    Alpha

Hello Sir's
    Thnx for all your replies. I got pretty gud info from u all.
    Meanwhile, is there any shop in SG who can rent DSLR's for a try?
    Pls let me knw if there is..

Blog Entries

Hello Sir's
    Thnx for all your replies. I got pretty gud info from u all.
    Meanwhile, is there any shop in SG who can rent DSLR's for a try?
    Pls let me knw if there is..
    http://www.camerarental.biz/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The D90 uses the A500 sensor. So technically, the A550 has the slightly higher sensor spec.
    Not that it matters to a beginner in photography.

It doesn't even matter to many seasoned photographers. The person behind matters more (for non pixel-peepers anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not that it matters to a beginner in photography.

It doesn't even matter to many seasoned photographers. The person behind matters more (for non pixel-peepers anyway).
    I fully agree, though most beginner photogs put a lot of meaning behind numbers.
    Alpha

Hi Sir's
    Im back again to seek ur advise again.
    Upon reading through, i have a choice to buy better DSLR. Meanwhile i'm confused too
    I went to courts and tried Alpha 550 and Nikon D90. Both attracted me well. While looking at the specifications, alpha has got technically advanced features than D90. As a beginner i only can choose DSLR based on specs and feel.
    You all are experts in photography and i really want to know from your prospective and experience that which will be great tool to have. Most say Nikon gud and most say Sony gud.
    Awaiting to hear from you
    Thnx a lot in advance.

Try renting both and try them? go home and compare their IQ and see which one do you prefer.. no one can tell you which one to buy and only you can find out what you really what..
    Alpha

Assuming both feel good in your hands: If you need video, D90. If you need fast autofocus in liveview, tilting LCD and in-body antishake, get the A550
    Alpha

Hi Sir's
    Most say Nikon gud and most say Sony gud.
    All brands are good. photography is not about brand anyway.