Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The character of Teachability

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Question The character of Teachability

    On the character of Teachability I can first think of:
    1) What can I do to develop a better willingness to be more teachable?
    2) Must I have this trait of character if I want to lead others effectively?
    3) To be a person who can teach we have to be a person who is teachable?
    What other things have I got to know and develop in order to be teachable?

  2. #2
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    TS, are you thinking of becoming a teacher (school)?
    For (1), firsr you must have a passion to teach, this is on the mental side. As for how to teach, this is the basic skill you can pick up at NIE. Teachers are human, they also need to go through learning path. There is a Chinese proverb - live till old, learn till old.
    For (2), I believe there are some professional trainings/courses you can look around to enhance this area of skill.
    For (3), I must say that everyone has their own strength. Teaching is a skill, willing to teach and transfer knowledge and experience come from heart(passion).

    There are many teachers out there, (1) some very good ones are able to share knowledge and experience outside the text books to further enrich their students knowledge, (2) those average ones, just follow through the text books to make students understand and (3) those cannot make it ones, they go through the text books and students still get confuse
    Last edited by kwttan; 27th September 2010 at 09:20 AM.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  3. #3

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    first step to being teachable is admitting what you do not know

  4. #4
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    first step to being teachable is admitting what you do not know
    Interesting philosophy.
    Can elaborate more?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    What I am referring here is that some people have great talent
    and incredible drive and soon become the most popular and
    highest paid professional in the industry, however they were
    contented with the status quo because they were not fueled by
    teachability.

    The danger is obvious... soon this marvelous happenings
    will come to an end unless they have a continued desire to grow
    and succeed with a higher level of excellence to everything they did.


  6. #6
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Interesting philosophy.
    Can elaborate more?
    not just admitting what u dunno. but also must be able to accept criticisms, being able to admit that you were wrong and ur willing to change.

    its easy to say u dunno. to wanna learn more its hard. to admit that what u had learnt could be wrong and change is even harder.

    embrace changes. its the only constant

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    not just admitting what u dunno. but also must be able to accept criticisms, being able to admit that you were wrong and ur willing to change.
    its easy to say u dunno. to wanna learn more its hard. to admit that what u had learnt could be wrong and change is even harder.
    embrace changes. its the only constant
    Great insight, however the present world is such that people
    in higher authority or people who are in charge
    e.g. people who rule a country or organization,
    are they capable of this behavior?

    Indeed you are pointing at the stage where humans find
    it very hard to follow, thus giving a rise to human mishaps
    in relationship and harmony.

    Today it is not a surprise that the constant reminder
    in adult education is the embracing of change, something
    that could take a long long time to accomplish.

  8. #8
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Great insight, however the present world is such that people
    in higher authority or people who are in charge
    e.g. people who rule a country or organization,
    are they capable of this behavior?

    Indeed you are pointing at the stage where humans find
    it very hard to follow, thus giving a rise to human mishaps
    in relationship and harmony.

    Today it is not a surprise that the constant reminder
    in adult education is the embracing of change, something
    that could take a long long time to accomplish.
    yep. it is hard. thats something i felt befoer, the limits of what u could do.

    the only way u can have lesser limits is to hit higher ground.
    to implement changes, to be able to have the ability to make changes, means u hve to find a way up the ladder

    perhaps its hard to follow. i do nt know. in the real world, there arent spaces for mistakes in the first place. but if u ask me who i would like to take under my wing, be it photography or studies or work, i'll take someone who puts in effort, willing to change, willing to admit he is wrong and change. doesnt have to be a mr perfect. that is to me teachability. (whether u can be taught)

    i think what urs meant was being contented, and not striving higher. a feeling that things could always be better and as such never stop learning. like... 50 years ago, ppl werent happy with camels and horses. and then came cars. then came planes. now there are space shuttles. if we demand more, we improve greater. is that what u meant? being willing to learn as opposed to whether u can be taught
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 27th September 2010 at 10:25 AM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Admit that there are a lots we don't know, the next person always has something to teach us. Don't put up a defense when other opposes your idea. Have an interest in learning new things and be willing to ask and listen.
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

  10. #10

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    On the character of Teachability I can first think of:
    1) What can I do to develop a better willingness to be more teachable?
    2) Must I have this trait of character if I want to lead others effectively?
    3) To be a person who can teach we have to be a person who is teachable?
    What other things have I got to know and develop in order to be teachable?
    The best teacher is MISS TAKE, learn from her.
    I learn everything from her. I deleted 100MB of bad photos every week.


    Every time you teach, you are also learning.
    For example, I never use a Nikon D90 before.
    When I teach my co-worker how to use her D90 to shoot night scene with a tripod, I am also learning the features in D90.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: The character of Teachability

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    The best teacher is MISS TAKE, learn from her.
    I learn everything from her. I deleted 100MB of bad photos every week.


    Every time you teach, you are also learning.
    For example, I never use a Nikon D90 before.
    When I teach my co-worker how to use her D90 to shoot night scene with a tripod, I am also learning the features in D90.

    Another point to take note if a person is capable of being teachable
    especially of those who are elderly or in higher authority is the mark
    of being in service at all times.

    The ability to put others (colleagues and friends) ahead of himself
    and his personal desires. To put it blunt, this act is more than being
    willing to put his own agenda on hold and have strong intention to be
    aware of other people's needs. Be willing at all times to help them,
    and be able to accept their desires as vital and important.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •