Thread: Small black dot spotted on viewfinder screen

Default Small black dot spotted on viewfinder screen

Hi,

I noticed a small black dot or particle on my viewfinder screen after I removed my lens. Do you know what it is? Dust or fungus? Is it on my viewfinder or sensor? Any way to remove it?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Default Re: Small black dot spotted on viewfinder screen

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Hi,

I noticed a small black dot or particle on my viewfinder screen after I removed my lens. Do you know what it is? Dust or fungus? Is it on my viewfinder or sensor? Any way to remove it?
    it's most likely a dust on the focusing screen, u can try to clean it with the correct tool(plastic tweezer + a good blower or water flow from ur faucet) and a bit of youtube help(they hv a lot of video on how to remove & clean the focusing screen) or just go to Nsc for cleaning, either way it won't effect the image u take(if it's really on the focusing screen only), cheers
    Last edited by willdoang; 25th September 2010 at 08:22 PM.

Thank you!

i think its really hard to clean a focusing screen - they're very fragile! if it really annoys you, then you should go to NSC. otherwise, leaving it alone would probably be the best option and if you look into most people's cameras you'll see quite a few spots too so no worries at all

(btw this dust isnt the normal kind of dust you'll find on shelves etc, it's actually metal dust that is produced from the lens mount scraping against the camera mount when you attach/detach it, and in Singapore because it's so humid, the dust actually gets damp (welded dust) and sticks better so it's harder to remove)
    Last edited by spingle; 25th September 2010 at 09:49 PM.

this is likely to be dust.

it's going to be there in the long run... whether you like it or not.

yes, you can clean it... but it will be back, and there are risks involved when cleaning it unless you are experienced and confident in doing it.

Hi,

It's a speck of dust on the viewfinder, it's on the inside of the cam when you remove your lens. Can easily be clean using cloth.

I see. So I think it's better to leave it there and send my camera to NSC before the warranty ends.
    Ya, recently I keep switching lens. That's why.

Don worry you are not alone lol. My View finder also has 1 very small black dot at the left hand side of the screen, but it is ok de. It will not affect the IQ of your photo
    [Canon 500D][EF-S 15-85mm][EF 50mm II][430EX II]
    HomePage's[http://cadefox.multiply.com/]

I see. So I think it's better to leave it there and send my camera to NSC before the warranty ends.
    Ya, recently I keep switching lens. That's why.
    Not every lens switch will cause dust on focusing screen / viewfinder. And cleaning your dust is not a warranty service. If they do it for free than it's a gift, nothing that you can claim.
    Learn to live with it. Be more concerned about your images instead of such irrelevant cosmetic details. Since it's on the focusing screen it will not show up in your images. Pay attention to dust on sensor, that's worth looking for.
    EOS

Hi,

It can't be on the sensor if you see the "dot" though the viewfinder; what you can see through the viewfinder is via the prism reflected by the mirror through the lens. You don't "see" anything as yet on the sensor at this instance.

After the mirror flipped, shutter open then the sensor gets exposed of the image you shoot. However you can't anything through the viewfinder at this instance. If the picture is dot less,at least to the naked eyes, then your sensor is clean.

Does this make sense ?