Thread: Condensation woes

Default Condensation woes

I had left my camera is a cold aircon room for a while. Then I decided to take some shots from a sunny balcony. So took it out to the balcony and *BOM* fogged out. Wipe lens and viewfinder also no use. Had to wait for the camera to "warm up".

So my question: I am going on a tour to Japan this December. Of coz intend to shoot like mad. But how to deal with the condensation issue caused by the difference between heated interior and the cold exterior? Any advice? And besides condensation, any other issues to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Condensation woes

Here's a link before anyone comes into this thread and tell you to use the search function of this forum.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Dear Uncle Fai, there would be no condensation problem from hot to cold environment. Moreover, the humidity is very low during winter thus condensation would not be a prob. Battery and electronics may not function properly in cold weather so do ensure that they are not exposed to extreme temp. One other thing you may want to watch out is your lens filter. I had cracked two filters (Nikon and not any cheapo) from small knock even as the temp was above zero.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I had left my camera is a cold aircon room for a while. Then I decided to take some shots from a sunny balcony. So took it out to the balcony and *BOM* fogged out. Wipe lens and viewfinder also no use. Had to wait for the camera to "warm up".

So my question: I am going on a tour to Japan this December. Of coz intend to shoot like mad. But how to deal with the condensation issue caused by the difference between heated interior and the cold exterior? Any advice? And besides condensation, any other issues to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
    you can soften the transition by not taking it out right away, but that takes time.. frankly speaking though, it is not a problem especially when it only happens on the front element. just wipe and wait lor.

the problem is when it fogs up internally, then that can take a while to clear.

anyhow, it happens when your camera is cold, and you take it out in a warmer environment... therefore when you're indoors at night, there is no rush to take, just open up your bag (since padding tends to be very good insulation), and leave it open.... and then maybe after a while take the camera out without removing lenscap.. etc

another problem of cold weather is the shortened battery life. not that big an issue, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    Dear Uncle Fai, there would be no condensation problem from hot to cold environment. Moreover, the humidity is very low during winter thus condensation would not be a prob. Battery and electronics may not function properly in cold weather so do ensure that they are not exposed to extreme temp. One other thing you may want to watch out is your lens filter. I had cracked two filters (Nikon and not any cheapo) from small knock even as the temp was above zero.
    Hmm, I'm interested in this also. Learnt that humidity in Japan is actually very high, even in winter. So you find that the humidity in Japan is low in winter? Does it vary from region to region (e.g. between Osaka, Tokyo and Hokkaido)? I haven't been to Japan also so trying to get some first hand info as I too might heading there. Learning about different types of clothings required for a high humidity environment which is different from low humidity cold area.

This may not be true but so far has worked quite well for me although in theory, it shouldn't

Normally when I know I will be moving from cold to warm areas (and vice versa) and shooting immediately, I tend to keep my equipments in gallon sized ziploc bags with those blue beads of dehumidifiers, so I will put them in after shoot (and if I remember, before moving into aircon places). Not sure if the dehumidifier beads help, nor the ziploc bags (afterall, humidity inside and outside aircon place remains the same, and I think the dehumidifier doesn't work that fast). But so far it seems to work quite well and I'm not sure if there's any other factor

Also the problem will be shooting indoors, as you will be moving from cold outside to warm inside (bus, hotel, etc) in Japan, as opposed to cold inside (aircon) to warm outside in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Learnt that humidity in Japan is actually very high, even in winter. So you find that the humidity in Japan is low in winter? .
    U r probably rite that the RH in Japan is generally quite high, >50%. I guess it will probably drop to near zero when it snows.

Thanks in advance.
    Don't worry, I'm in NZ now and it just transited from Winter to Spring early Sept. As stated by others, humidity in other countries during Winter is generally very low compared to Singapore. Even when I'm up on the mountains when it's snowing, there isn't any problem. For me I don't really bother, but some might suggest you to keep your camera in your bag before entering a cafe/restaurant/building as entering from a cold place to a cafe where they have heaters might cause slight condensation.

Other things to take note is if your tripod is metal, it might cause frost bite so make sure u wear gloves or just take extra caution. Don't wear too thick gloves as it might hinder you taking pictures. Battery life will be shorter in cold weather so do have standbys if you intend to take a lot of shots.

Honestly, just enjoy your trip!
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

Try zip bloc bags.
    Canon 5DMKII, 50mm F1.2L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L IS MKII