Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DSLR for Female - Please Recommend!

Default Re: DSLR for Female - Please Recommend!

I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

You have to ask yourself how good you wanted the pictures to be and how far you're going in the future and HOW HEAVY IS CONSIDERED HEAVY TO YOU?

There's really no "designed for ladies" DSLRs.

There's a reason why DSLRs are heavier. Bigger sensors for better IQ, heavier material used to construct the body for durablity, more screws and nuts to make it more weather-proof, more buttons and switches for better and faster configuration and when all these added up together, the camera is heavy.

I am not trying to say that the heavier the camera is, the better it is. But they are reasons they why they were heavy. Also, personally I deemed that most of the DSLRs, especially those entry to mid-entry level camera's weight is reasonably acceptable.

If you just wanted to shoot you and your friends pushing the peace sign then upload facebook with DSLR results, go for NEX-3, NEX-5, Olympus PEN, Leica, etc.

But if you're serious with photograhy and wanted to find a good and light mid-entry level camera to start with, I would recommend you Canon 550D.

Most importantly, go down to the stores and feel it yourself.

think I found the ultimate mini, mickey, mousy Minox that fits right in your handbag...I mean hand

Last edited by ManWearPants; 26th September 2010 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Ha ha, nice recommendation. But hey manual focus, every other shot will be blur.
    If every other shot is blur for you, you aren't doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    You have to ask yourself how good you wanted the pictures to be and how far you're going in the future and HOW HEAVY IS CONSIDERED HEAVY TO YOU?

There's really no "designed for ladies" DSLRs.

There's a reason why DSLRs are heavier. Bigger sensors for better IQ, heavier material used to construct the body for durablity, more screws and nuts to make it more weather-proof, more buttons and switches for better and faster configuration and when all these added up together, the camera is heavy.

I am not trying to say that the heavier the camera is, the better it is. But they are reasons they why they were heavy. Also, personally I deemed that most of the DSLRs, especially those entry to mid-entry level camera's weight is reasonably acceptable.

If you just wanted to shoot you and your friends pushing the peace sign then upload facebook with DSLR results, go for NEX-3, NEX-5, Olympus PEN, Leica, etc.

But if you're serious with photograhy and wanted to find a good and light mid-entry level camera to start with, I would recommend you Canon 550D.

Most importantly, go down to the stores and feel it yourself.
    .........550d..........
    I dunno!!!

Once u start working with a DSLR, weight shudn't be concern anymore. Going DSLR means u care about the features, the performance rather than weight, colour. One might go around searching for the lightest DSLR, but at the end of the day, u want a balance, u'll need a light lens as well. how many good and light weight lenses are there out there? after buying lenses, then u might want to consider having an external flash, and then a tripod, and at the end of the day a big bag to squeeze them all in. Going DSLR means it's getting bigger, heavier.

Above comment is what I feel, Im sorry if it offended any other users, I meant nth of that. So libgirlmom, consider finding out features and performances rather than just the physical outlook of the cameras. I dun believe that DSLR are manufactured for men only. All the best in your search for DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by irphotography View Post
    If every other shot is blur for you, you aren't doing it right
    If recommending for female it should be something that is more capable and easier of getting sharp pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    If recommending for female it should be something that is more capable and easier of getting sharp pictures.
    Ok lah, I'll to let her take my kitchen knife a picture. That one I cn guarantee very sharp.
    I dunno!!!

get the canno 60D

Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    Ok lah, I'll to let her take my kitchen knife a picture. That one I cn guarantee very sharp.
    That one cannot guarantee you will come out of the kitchen after that

Anyway, I'd recommend something along the D7000/60D range for the better grip. imo even the D5000/D3000 line is too small for comfortable grip for females.
    Last edited by brapodam; 26th September 2010 at 08:31 PM.

When you buy into a camera system, what matters most will be the lenses which you will be buying and using. The camera bodies can come and go, but the lenses you invested in will stay with you for a long time. Even if you get a small and light weight camera body, it will still become heavy when you mount a heavy lens.

For a start, the usual suspects recommended will be the Canon 550D and the Nikon D5000. They are good choices. But because they are full frame, you can expect big and heavy lenses, especially for the higher end range.

You may also consider the Sony A33 or A55. They are pretty value for money, lightweight and features-packed too. But again, like Canon and Nikon, expect big lenses.

Alternatively, you can consider the Four-Thirds (4/3) system by Olympus. They are much lighter and smaller dSLRs. As they are not full frame, their system is lighter and smaller, but still packs a big punch for hobbyists and enthusiasts.

I think you have got more than enough information about the pros of owning the Canon and Nikon, so I think I shall brief you a little about the lesser knowns.

For Canon, Nikon and Sony, the bodies do not have Image Stabilizer (IS), but can be compensated by their more expensive lenses that comes with IS. Unlike the Canon, Nikon and Sony, Olympus uses in-body IS. As their lenses are small and compact, they can afford to use in-body. Their Zuiko Digital Tatsuno lenses range are complete, more affordable and are superb! You just need a few lenses to cover a wide range. That's a bonus and saves you $$$. Here, you can choose either the Olympus E-450 (w/o IS) or E-620.

As mentioned by other kind souls here in clubsnap, Pentax is a good choice too. Perhaps the Pentax K-r. But again, lenses could be limited.

But if you just want a compact with dSLR qualities kinda cameras, you can consider the Sony NEX-3 or NEX-5, the Samsung NX10, or the micro Four-Thirds (m4/3). Sony is coming up with more lenses for their NEX system and Samsung has limited lenses for you to choose from. So the best choice could be the m4/3. The m4/3 manufacturers (Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma) are focusing and investing most of their resources in the development of m4/3, so you can expect more toys to play with in the future.
    You may want to check out http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html for more info.

If you can afford, perhaps the Fujifilm FinePix X100 can be your new toy too. But I doubt you want that now.

In conclusion, below are my recommendations (for entry/amatuer level) from each brand/system...

dSLRs
    Canon 550D
    Nikon D5000
    Sony A55
    Olympus E-620
    Pentax K-r

Mirrorless
    Panasonic GH2 or GF1
    Olympus Pen PL-1 or P2
    Sony NEX-5
    Samsung NX10

Perhaps a food for thought... So far, I have recommended cameras to many of my family and friends. They have opted for the Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Nikon D5000, Sony A-550, Panasonic GF1, the Olympus Pen PL-1 and P-1. So far, with regards to weight issues, only my Canon friends are complaining about the weight weighing them down, especially during their travel trips. The m4/3 users have no complaints about weight and they have their cameras with them almost all the time.

All in all, remember that the camera is just a tool for the photographer... The choice is yours
    shoot to 'kill'

I plan to buy my wife Olympus Pen EP2/EPL1....it had 12,3 MP+6400 ISO+Full HD Video recording, it so handy in hand and very2 fit to using a manual lens in it

I hav a few friends (males n females) using 400D and later models. (i hang out with a bunch C camps) after a few months to a year all of them wanted to upgrade to 50D or 7D n get bigger heavier lenses n tripods. Weight or size shouldnt be major factor, its more of how well ur camera can serve u. Go try them out for yourself!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fierywise View Post
    dSLRs
    Canon 550D
    Nikon D5000
    Sony A55
    Olympus E-620
    Pentax K-r
    dun discount Pentax k-x, this is still the best valued DSLR at the moment...
    I dunno!!!

i would suggest u get a D90, it is abt 620g(body) which is abt slightly more heavy on the 500ml water bother. together with the kit lens (18-105mm) it is 450g if (18-200mm = 565g) together add up a 1L water.

go have a feel of it.
    it is quite comfortable.
    it sort of balance out the weight.

ppl are suggesting light body and if the weight of the lens is going to be too heavy and u will be holding it and ur wrist will hurt more.

but look for a balance ya.

ps some info for u on the canon 550d,
    body = 480g
    kit lens of (18-200) = 595g

i'm not a lady but sometimes i feel oh so feminine

maybe you would like to wait for the pentax k-r like me so that we can colour coordinate our wardrobe with our cameras. maybe in purple i'm planning to get the kit lens and add on the new 35mm prime.

so next time if you see a guy using a purple k-r it's probably me...

Some female friends I know using DSLRs range from D40, D60 to 5Dmk2. Find something your comfortable with wether it's an evil system or DSLR. If it's not comfortable for you, less chances you'll take photos with it.

get one tt u like the feel, u will get used to it... if not, let ur bf/hubby carry the gear. With these "porters", u can then pile on the tripod, more lens, water bottle etc.
    D90|18-105mm|35mm|50mm|85mm|200mm Micro|24-70mm|

Quote Originally Posted by satayman View Post
    i'm not a lady but sometimes i feel oh so feminine

so next time if you see a guy using a purple k-r it's probably me...
    Perhaps you should start another thread "DSLR for feminine male"

Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    dun discount Pentax k-x, this is still the best valued DSLR at the moment...
    Oh yes indeed!
    shoot to 'kill'

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast