Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to ask to view a photographer's portfolio?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it wrong to ask to view a photographer's portfolio?

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    I just hate when people keep telling me how good and how many years of experience he/she is in certain industry.
    Recently, my parents had some renovation job done by an established renovation company 'C..w'. My parents signed the paper. When I reviewed, I found the details and warranty information not clear enough, thus I called the project manager to request for more information. Guess what he told me? My parents had signed the contract, he has every right not to send me the details. He even told me he has 15 years of experience in this industry. What the hack, do you think I care how many years of experience he has when he demonstrated such unprofessional attitude! I called up his manager and got him replaced!
    hehe not my company.

he has 15? ive been in it since i'm born dad's one. still helping out with quotations, fixing toilet bowls whenever i can

anyways, if u want the details, he has to give u. its a no no to withhold details. even if u signed quotation, paid down payment, u want changes we still have to change give u (provided we havent done it yet). its kinda... like a business thing. be smart, and u can survive.

But then what if I am an amateur without portfolio (which I am)? Does it mean I cannot engage XMM for photoshoot?

I just hate when people keep telling me how good and how many years of experience he/she is in certain industry.
    Recently, my parents had some renovation job done by an established renovation company 'C..w'. My parents signed the paper. When I reviewed, I found the details and warranty information not clear enough, thus I called the project manager to request for more information. Guess what he told me? My parents had signed the contract, he has every right not to send me the details. He even told me he has 15 years of experience in this industry. What the hack, do you think I care how many years of experience he has when he demonstrated such unprofessional attitude! I called up his manager and got him replaced!
    this brings to mind this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=378316&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence
    dude... i was expose to photography at a very young age....

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    But then what if I am an amateur without portfolio (which I am)? Does it mean I cannot engage XMM for photoshoot?
    you can, but if i was xmm, i certainly would want at least a better photographer before i offer tfcd.. it's my time. if end up the pictures returned can be taken by myself with P&S on a tripod, might as well make better use of my time..

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    haha used to it already

i've seen more
    "i own a lot of big gear"
    "i shoot 10 years"
    "i win awards"
    "my daddy was a professional"
    "my mum was a professional"
    "i got many professional friends"

etc etc etc
    Tell them last time police man wear shots also

I've met quite a fair bit of established photographers, even my uncle is a very established photographer, sadly I'm no way near his standard. But all of them never once said they won award etc. or even on their webpage say they won awards.

For a photographer, your portfolio is the one that silence the critics or seals the deal the the client, who cares what camera you use?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I was also expose to movies since young(everyday watch TV and watch movies quite often) but I am not a movie star or director today.
    Individual has their own opinion, will be good to open up and listen to others critics. Ofcourse critics have both good and no so good.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Interesting thread. BTW, I don't like using 'dude' in a sentence, seems not polite? I may be wrong
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    Tell them last time police man wear shots also

I've met quite a fair bit of established photographers, even my uncle is a very established photographer, sadly I'm no way near his standard. But all of them never once said they won award etc. or even on their webpage say they won awards.

For a photographer, your portfolio is the one that silence the critics or seals the deal the the client, who cares what camera you use?
    i do think it is a bit unnecessary to state all these accolades unless there is a strong and solid reason, i.e. you need the accolades to gain more clients, if you are a professional... to laymen, all these do count.

but well, if it is a fact, there is also nothing wrong with stating it, so long as you don't like... mention it in every picture you post or something, by placing the list of awards you have as a watermark, for example..

Interesting thread. BTW, I don't like using 'dude' in a sentence, seems not polite? I may be wrong
    i don't really mind , actually...

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I always showed this portfolio to the XMMs.

So far none refused to let me shoot.

Last edited by Sion; 25th September 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I always showed this portfolio to the XMMs.

So far none refused to let me shoot.
    LOLs! show pound or euro might have some persuasive power. 1000 Taiwan dollar like water leh. Or show your prowess in self portraits.

Back to topic: If it is a TFCD then the photographer have to show his/her portfolio before the model is comfortable about the end results. what is the point if the model knows that it is going to be a waste time sessions...... unless need to clock more time for modeling?

Something like how to make a bad photographer produce good pictures?
    Last edited by NMSS_2; 25th September 2010 at 02:56 PM.

That fellow did'nt come in to explain or clarify? Or show the award winning photos?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    That fellow did'nt come in to explain or clarify? Or show the award winning photos?
    i am really interested to see his award winning photos too
    Moments

Quote Originally Posted by axis90x View Post
    i am really interested to see his award winning photos too
    they all got deleted after he knew ppl were looking... i didn't get a chance to see too...

but i wonder why he even post them on the web if he didn't wanna let ppl see his pics.. lol...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by eventuallymine View Post
    Hey there peeps.

I have this really troubling time with one of the photographers in clubsnap so I thought it will be good if I can seek advise from all of you.

Generally, he wrote to me that he saw my post on CS and wonder if im interested in a photoshoot..stating also that he has won many trophy and such for his photography skills.

After that I replied and asked if I may view his portfolio and was frank enough to say that I am actually more interested in having a paid shoot. BUT, the thing was he came back with this really wierd ans:

As attached:

Was it wrong for me to have asked for his portfolio?
    I meant, i was just trying to check out his portfolio and such... soooo, what went wrong here?

Please advise peeps.. Im getting the blues here~ *sulks*
    My only advice is:

好花不常開
    好景不常在

Last edited by Sion; 25th September 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eventuallymine View Post
    he Pmed me that his name was spoilt.. so I shall not upset him further. He claimed that im happy now that his name was spoilt. Seriously. His eng was really ): He said "Hope wont see u, guess u will get what u have......"

*speechless*
    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    If you had read TS's post, it's quite obvious that he is aware of this thread and that he doesn't intend to come in..

for me is ..

if i am paying a model, she must showed me her port.
    i don need to show her my port

don also expect photos from me - cos i am paying the model and i am not a nice person
    some models don work with me (tfcd) becos they said i am too fierce after casting (i heard this from mua/stylist whom i work with)

back to thread
    anyway if hes asking for tfcd, better see his port.
    else wasting each other time

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    If you had read TS's post, it's quite obvious that he is aware of this thread and that he doesn't intend to come in..
    i pmed him about the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767771

please be informed about this thread.

it would be good if you could clarify what is going on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by acdtss
    Is e model started e thread, dun mind u go askin her?
    Not really wan her for shoot & dun think so she willing, dun show her
    my link coz hv come across many models after saw e port link nope
    new or nope reply..
    i thought of replying to him urging him to think of why the models who saw his portfolio link did not want to proceed with the shots... but i guess, it is a lost cause?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    some models don work with me (tfcd) becos they said i am too fierce after casting....
    I think they are afraid of your

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think they are afraid of your

this is not exactly the same as i have
    my one can put AA battery one

i said if u give me V-sign pose
    i will whip u! HAHAHA

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast