Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to ask to view a photographer's portfolio?

Unhappy Is it wrong to ask to view a photographer's portfolio?

Hey there peeps.

I have this really troubling time with one of the photographers in clubsnap so I thought it will be good if I can seek advise from all of you.

Generally, he wrote to me that he saw my post on CS and wonder if im interested in a photoshoot..stating also that he has won many trophy and such for his photography skills.

After that I replied and asked if I may view his portfolio and was frank enough to say that I am actually more interested in having a paid shoot. BUT, the thing was he came back with this really wierd ans:

As attached:

Quote Originally Posted by acdtss
    Quote Originally Posted by eventuallymine
    Hi, irene come across CS saw u post for tfcd photoshoot..
    Wonder u willing to be modelling to build up ur portfolio..?
    I'm a photogrpher who got many yrs photography experience, have
    won alots of trophy & prizes at photos competition..
    Hope able to work with u soon.. have a nice days
    Hi there, do you have a portfolio for me to see?
    Thanks~
    Hmm..wonder after u see my portfolio link will u let me photoshoot?
    haha..
    ^^ But ill still have to see your portfolio ehh~ Its alright, Ill let u know if ill still let you do the shoot. But Im more interested in paid shoots rather then tfcd. but no harm checking out your portfolio (:
    If let u see my portfolio already & dun let me photoshoot den what
    is the point to show ? Have come across many models did that way
    lols..nope good haha..so if a paid shoot dun need show u my
    link wonder? Sorrie, i dun do paid shoot if every models asking for
    pay & i give them guess i must be printting money lol haha rite?
    Do think twice b4 disappointed, u will gain my experience skill dun
    worrie..btw why not u show me ur port link instead?
    Hi there,

I do not understand what you meant. Even CS indicates for all models that in the first stated recommendation:

"1. Look for a photographer WITH a Portfolio

To produce good images, you got to have a affinity with the photographer. Before agreeing to work with someone, view his portfolio first to get a rough idea on his style. If you like his style and ideas, there is a match! The likelihood of producing good photos is much higher as well. It would be even better if you two could work on a long term relationship to develop each other. In this industry, both the photographer and model will get equal recognition and rise up the same time. If your photographer becomes famous, most likely, you will become famous too!"

You can find this in the sticky thread. Photographers usually show us their portfolios and that is when we decide between a TFCD or a paid shoot. All this are determined between the model's ability to pose and the photographer's shooting skills. If you think that you are not comfortable with showing me your portfolio then I will not be agreeing on a shoot. And I am not particularly demanding for a paid shoot either. Check out that sticky thread please. Thanks.
    Can't understand u also, what u want see my port link is dun trust
    me as a photographer? If so wonder how to working with u? lols..i
    won't using point & shoot cam to photoshoot u for sure rite?
    If u want asking for paid shoot, shld u show ur port link to me
    instead? If dun have port link shld do more tfcd to build up ur link..
    I able let u know my photography skill more den 10 over
    yrs, how about u wonder how many yrs modelling experience?
    Was it wrong for me to have asked for his portfolio?
    I meant, i was just trying to check out his portfolio and such... soooo, what went wrong here?

Please advise peeps.. Im getting the blues here~ *sulks*
    Aiiren.爱恋
    ♫ ♬♪♩

Default Re: Is it wrong to ask to view a photographer's portfolio?

I have trouble with his English.

anyhow, if you are proud of your work, you wont have qualms about Showing them. Trust or no trust.
    Last edited by papermelodydoll; 24th September 2010 at 01:06 PM.

The portfolio is the single most important document a photographer can possibly have to sell his/her skills.

I'd say, forget about it and move on with someone else.

I'm not a fan of taking pictures of xmm so i don;t really know what goes on in these shoots. But he sure sounds disgusting... I'll be wary if I were you

I don't see that there's anything wrong with wanting to view a photographer's portfolio, especially if he claimed that he won many awards. Most photographers here will provide their portfolios without being ask. Asking for portfolio is sort of like a safety measure for models to see what they are getting into, i don't see why the photographer is unwilling to provide a link.

To be honest, just ignore him. Probably some sleazy person trying to scam you..

Ignore such person... as a photographer he/she shld be proud of his portfolio to showcast his works... 10 over yrs experience yet dun dare to show portfolio he maybe bogus... or just brag about it... no point talking to such person

The problem was - i replied him as nicely as i could, reminding him that i am not trying to doubt him. I just needed to take a look at his portfolio. And what harm can I do even if i see his portfolio and choose not to take a shoot with him?

Of course, the selling point is his portfolio, whether I am a pro model or a newbie, I still have to see ar..Its nt as if i never linked my portfolio in my thread
    Aiiren.爱恋
    ♫ ♬♪♩

you opened a thead abt this, so obviously ur either wary or pissed with his guy..

do u really need us to tell u to stay away from him anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by eventuallymine View Post
    The problem was - i replied him as nicely as i could, reminding him that i am not trying to doubt him. I just needed to take a look at his portfolio. And what harm can I do even if i see his portfolio and choose not to take a shoot with him?

Of course, the selling point is his portfolio, whether I am a pro model or a newbie, I still have to see ar..Its nt as if i never linked my portfolio in my thread
    Hi,

Even after seeing his portfolio (anyway how do you know it is HIS pics??), he still can shoot differently than in his portfolio with some excuses as he wants to do it differently.......

In shoots with strangers or not, ALWAYS bring someone else around!!!

It is good that you come here to ask around.........

HS

Quote Originally Posted by papermelodydoll View Post
    you opened a thead abt this, so obviously ur either wary or pissed with his guy..

It is good to see who the photographer is hehehehehe!

nowadays DSLR is so cheap anyone can own one and call himself a photographer, so i guess she posted here is a good things, to let everyone know wat kind of ppls is around here.

we are here to help and advise each others...

Cheers

if he won awards and has nothing to show, there is something wrong with him. at the very least, he should be able to show his "award winning works".. don't tell me he don't know what they are?

i would stay away from this member. highly suspicious.

*shrug*

The person's username is acdtss

she had already posted out the whole conversation.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=32085 <- there, if anyone is interested.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724139 <- the only thread I can find with his photos,.
    Last edited by papermelodydoll; 24th September 2010 at 01:33 PM.

did a search, found this:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740370

he ask model to show portfolio and promise to show portfolio when receive pm....

slap him with his own words.

do you know this person?

here are some examples of his works

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724139

you can judge for yourself where his capabilities are, based on those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    do you know this person?
    nay. i dunno anyone from clubsnap and I seldom post here.
    just so happen im kpo and free today. haa

suggest the mod team look into this claim, and ask for an explanation from relevant member, if the claim is proven to be bona fide. following which, if he cannot provide a good one, ban him, and log his ip address for future reference.

nay. i dunno anyone from clubsnap and I seldom post here.
    just so happen im kpo and free today. haa
    as someone who has been asking for greater action towards the negative examples of portrait photographers in clubsnap... i think there's nothing wrong in being too careful.

loads of people here will be more than happy to sit back and claim that it's a free market, that models have free will, they make their choices as adults. my point has always been that clubsnap *is* a photographic forums. if no stand is taken and no action is taken, then it reflects very badly upon us as photographers collectively, that we can't be bothered to keep our own house clean.. and just pass the ball into other groups' court. i don't see how proper, conscience-clear photographers would disagree with me, unless you have vested interest in NOT cleaning up.

i do agree that there are limitations as to what can be done about this situation, but in such cases, i am sure some form of action can and should be taken. if for nothing, to show a clear stand where we want to be.

i'm sure that just posting up this experience is nothing wrong... threadstarter posted up both sides of the story... showing the 2 way correspondence... therefore, in my humble opinion, assuming that there was no modification of what was posted... then it is fine. we make our own judgement based on what we saw.
    Last edited by night86mare; 24th September 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast