Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is photography good for health?

Default Is photography good for health?

Is photography as a physical activity good for health? Tell me what you think.

Default Re: Is photography good for health?

yes, i lost 2kg on outdoor shoots last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    yes, i lost 2kg on outdoor shoots last weekend
    wah, sounds like dehydration to me. always keep hydrated. 2kg of water lost in 1 weekend is a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    well, it depends.

i used to walk around the whole of punggol the whole afternoon.

if you are serious and are overseas , shooting can involve a huge amount of trekking.

if you sit around and shoot xmm, i don't think you will get much exercise, but at least your mental health will be maintained (i.e. you won't have to release your base desires in a less legal/socially acceptable way) somehow, i always get an image of a sweaty man peering through the viewfinder and just sweating, and sweating...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    somehow, i always get an image of a sweaty man peering through the viewfinder and just sweating, and sweating...
    ha ha you are so prejudiced ...... there are sweaty men peering through viewfinders all over the place in all genres of photography
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

the thing about shooting outdoors in sg is dehydration. sweat a ton of water. i never like the physical aspect of it. i rather work out in a gym.

No good for health actually for some, when they spend so much money buying photography related items to shoot XMM, they left with little or no money on their health.

For most, the heavy bag hurts their back, i am one....... my friend even hurt his wrist......

but have any one of you heard abt a joke: one guy put his extra lens on the area between the stick while shooting XMM bikini, and eventually injured that part becos that part got responds????
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

wahh.. like that also can? respond and hurt that part. that's the first time i head.

i dun think it affects physical health at all, but it definitely affects monetary wealth adversely!!! hahaha
    Nikon D300

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ha ha you are so prejudiced ...... there are sweaty men peering through viewfinders all over the place in all genres of photography
    i know....

but this sweaty man will breathe hard... and then after a while, wipe his face and tell himself "calm down calm down" and then peer through the viewfinder again....

i am also a sweaty man peering through viewfinder when i shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    but have any one of you heard abt a joke: one guy put his extra lens on the area between the stick while shooting XMM bikini, and eventually injured that part becos that part got responds????
    wow, his that part is very powerful

at least he never spoil the lens instead.

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    i dun think it affects physical health at all, but it definitely affects monetary wealth adversely!!! hahaha
    no leh, i haven't spent more than $40 for photography since a year ago.

how about prior to 1 year ago??
    Nikon D300

have...! u travel to interesting places to take nice photos...
    but I'm sure you classify that cost differently
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    I think in general photography is quite a healthy activity. If you like outdoors-y photography, you do get the chance to breathe in a lot of fresh air.
    Ask those who chase sunrise... air is quite cool and clear in the mornings.

also if you are travelling and always on the lookout for good shooting locations, you do tend to walk a lot.

the main downside is the weight can cause posture problems, and maybe injuries to small joints like wrist, finger, etc.
    I wouldn't consider cost to be related to health...
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    No lah, I'm sure he trekked all the way on foot... If wanna shoot sunrise tomorrow? Midnight better start walking... Better yet, start cycling / uni-cycling / roller blading / skate boarding at 3 am...

Just kidding okay!

Edit: I'm talking about Sg alone...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

I think in general photography is quite a healthy activity. If you like outdoors-y photography, you do get the chance to breathe in a lot of fresh air.
    Ask those who chase sunrise... air is quite cool and clear in the mornings.

also if you are travelling and always on the lookout for good shooting locations, you do tend to walk a lot.

the main downside is the weight can cause posture problems, and maybe injuries to small joints like wrist, finger, etc.
    I wouldn't consider cost to be related to health...
    Agreed... also my advice is, if you don't have enough sleep, don't force yourself to wake up like 5 am just to catch the golden light... The repercussions can be very great on your body, especially if you're not getting any younger...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 24th September 2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    how about prior to 1 year ago??
    the last big purchase i made was my pentax k20d. that was two years ago.

other than that, just sub $100 tripods for replacement when they broke, finally got a giottos tripod when it was on offer (~$90 for the legs, usually much more) until a year ago when i replaced my giottos 3 way panhead for a panballhead (~$110).

i don't really like to spend recklessly on this hobby. obviously there are days when i think of getting say, pentax 16-50 DA*, pentax pancake 40mm... but i don't really need it. so i just think, and i don't buy. and i still haven't bought.

ah, yes, bali was a more or less focused-on-photography trip.

i meant "spending on photography" in the sense of photographic equipment, not the process of making photos

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    No lah, I'm sure he trekked all the way on foot... If wanna shoot sunrise tomorrow? Midnight better start walking... Better yet, start cycling / uni-cycling / roller blading / skate boarding at 3 am...

Just kidding okay!

Edit: I'm talking about Sg alone...
    i have walked to east coast park on foot before, in the wee hours of the morning.

for the rest, is a bit hard for me. so i tend to take more sunsets than sunrises, not because i can't wake up (never had a problem with that), but the fact that sunsets are cheaper than sunrises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast