Thread: Kenko 2x teleconverter on 70-200mm f4L IS lens (pics inside)

Default Kenko 2x teleconverter on 70-200mm f4L IS lens (pics inside)

Today I tried to take some photos with my 70-200mm f4L lens mated with my Kenko 2x teleconverter (sure, it loses autofocus) the result is soft and really not as sharp as I would have right.

Do you guys think it is normal, or was it my techniques that was wrong. All shots are handheld by the way.

1)

Shutter speed: 1/350
    Aperture: f8
    ISO: 800

2)

Shutter speed: 1/250
    Aperture: f8
    ISO 800

For the noise... I believe it might be because I have set the ISO too high... but that is the only why I can prevent underexposed shots as it is not that bright and I cannot set my aperture any higher than f8 (f5.6 would be nice).

Hope for your help in this.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Default Re: Kenko 2x teleconverter on 70-200mm f4L IS lens (pics inside)

like you mentioned you did it handheld, it's not sufficient to pin the blame on the equipment. esp with a tele converter, with shutter speed of 1/250 might not be sufficient. besides, you ISO 800 might affect the sharpness too...

i will suggest that you do extensive testing. go out on a bright day, with your gear, and most importantly tripod and wired shutter trigger. set it up, focus on a stationary subject. then tk shots of it, and review those shots on a com...

if by then it's still soft, then most likely is the equipment fault!

Could easily be shutter speed. Use a tripod and actually test it out under a controlled environments.

Ya. That's why i sold it out cheap. not sure how the original performed.

In general, 2x teleconverters are CRUD and you lose a lot of sharpness. The 1.4x ones still do ok though.
    Alpha