Thread: as with all newbies... :)

Default as with all newbies... :)

hi all. i've finally put my foot down in getting myself a decent camera to satisfy my photograpghy needs. have been into photograpghy for a few years, which my diploma had many modules on, and have helped out in a handful events as a photograpgher. so, i sort of know the very basics of photography, and wish to learn more from a decent camera.

basically, the 2 aspects which i wish to use my prospective camera in are:

outdoor shoots which include outing with friends, etc, and a little of night scenery.

macro shots. i know it's not the most popular, but i'm really fascinated by them. i have an aquarium at home and i'd love to be able to capture better shots of them. also, outdoor close ups of plants and every other small things would be my favourite subjects.

the 2 cams that have had me interested are the 550D and g11/g12. a dslr and a semi pro. based upon these 2 factors, which do you think will satisfy my needs? or rather, would a dslr outperform a semipro so much that it is a must over the semipro? i've never used them before, that's why i need you kind advices. haha.

thanks in advance!

Default Re: as with all newbies... :)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunT2J View Post
    hi all. i've finally put my foot down in getting myself a decent camera to satisfy my photograpghy needs. have been into photograpghy for a few years, which my diploma had many modules on, and have helped out in a handful events as a photograpgher. so, i sort of know the very basics of photography, and wish to learn more from a decent camera.

basically, the 2 aspects which i wish to use my prospective camera in are:

outdoor shoots which include outing with friends, etc, and a little of night scenery.

macro shots. i know it's not the most popular, but i'm really fascinated by them. i have an aquarium at home and i'd love to be able to capture better shots of them. also, outdoor close ups of plants and every other small things would be my favourite subjects.

the 2 cams that have had me interested are the 550D and g11/g12. a dslr and a semi pro. based upon these 2 factors, which do you think will satisfy my needs? or rather, would a dslr outperform a semipro so much that it is a must over the semipro? i've never used them before, that's why i need you kind advices. haha.

thanks in advance!
    First Question - Have you test shot with any of the above mention camera? If not go give it a try to see which one you are more comfortable with.
    Second Question: Which are the possible area you foresee that you will be more interested in shooting more?
    Third Question: What is your budget?
    Fourth Question: What you do mean by DSLR outperform semipro? Is it a SLR vs DSLR? or Crop Body frame vs a full frame?
    ^^
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

I believe he meant a DSLR vs a prosumer camera. Yups.

I believe a number of points you'd want to take note for serious macro photography (the one point, any decent cam can take imo...'fun' shots)

1.choices of macro lens(es)
    2.dslr (typically) boasts faster AF and AF points
    2.crop factor (ie, sensor size) - this will in turn relate to how small your aperture can go before your picture going soft from diffraction. Obviously, this is where PnS will lose out no matter how many mega pixels they claim. Of course unless, they are boasting a 35mm FF sensor. (then there are other issues too like short back focussing..blabla)

any more than that..for serious macro photography can ask the pros

^above of the top of my head.. current DSLR bodies are very decent. Buy into the brand for their lenses, cause new bodies keep coming out!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ang; 24th September 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Welcome to CS . . .

tough decision . . . haha. G11 got the underwater case which you can bring your camera down into your aquarium to shoot. interesting . . .

I agreed with Skylover that you need to try out the 2 cameras and see which one that you like. Personally i feel that camera is a very personal thing which we can only give you a bit of the differences or ideas. Ultimately you need to choose it yourself.

For outdoor shot, i feel that both cameras can do the job well with its existing lens.

For macro, you need to have a macro lens or a filter, so it is an add on later.
    By the way, macro is very popular here . . . see the macro sub forum . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

wow. thanks alot for all the prompt replies here. didnt expect them to be so.. prompt. haha. thanks alot.

firstly, test shot? you mean going down to get a touch and feel of the different models? or are testing out sample shot and judging their quality? could we actually do that? haha. i went down to different places yesterday and today, but the shops were closed by the time i made it :x

the possible areas, as stated, would be outdoor activities in the day and scenery shots at night. and when i'm at home and something happens in the tank, i'd wanna snap it down as well

my birthday's just 2 days ago, so my parents are getting me something for my birthday. so why not a cam, since they know i'm into such stuff and it's about time to get a proper one. therefore, price cant be sky high, around 1-1.5k sounds good. and i know the options for 1.5k is waaaayyy limited. but on the other side fo the coin, if i'm more suited for a prosumer, i dont wanna get a dslr JUST to max out the budget too.

jonathan, thanks alot for the input. u've hit the nails on the head. a few questions. is the prosumer's AF really slow? one point i left out earlier was that i wanted one with decently fast AF and shutter lag. is shutter lag the correct choice of words? haha. ok i shall stick to layman's terms. i wanted a cam that could capture an image and process it fast, or fast enough. i dont wanna miss a picture perfect moment waiting for the cam to be ready for its next shot. i hope you get what i mean. will the prosumer be able to keep up to a dslr?

as for crop factor and aperture, to be entirely honest, i'm gonna start reading up on that. i skipped my class module on aperture :x have seen that term come up plenty of times, and i know it's important and basic.

thanks everybody again! u all helped me out in one way or another!

Hi there.
    I would say that a DSLR outperforms (dangerous word there) a prosumer in many areas like outright resolving power, AF speed, high ISO performance, etc. Add to that, it pretty much gives you total control of image parameters.
    The biggest difference is that you can swap lenses.
    Main disadvantage is more heft and more cost. Your budget would be severely stretched though, so I'd advise more careful thought. Worried that you get "sucked down the perpetual black hole of upgrading" if you do go the DSLR route
    Exploring! :)

Oh by the way, Happy Belated Birthday to you, TS (Shaun?)
    Exploring! :)

thanks alot ZerocoolAstra. i'd guess i'd have to go down and grope the models first to get a better feel of the cams. i'd do that first before asking any more. thanks on and all for helping! greatly appreciated.

Since you are already considering a DSLR then you should get a DSLR. If you get a prosumer then you will always be wondering how better a DSLR would be.

But getting a DSLR is just the beginning to spending more money. Because then you will be thinking of getting a dry cabinet, more lenses, etc. Whilst with a prosumer you can almost stop spending more money.

And of course a DSLR is more fun with more learning opportunities.