Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycling questions . Need your advice .

Default Cycling questions . Need your advice .

Hmmm , would you prefer a bicycle or a bicycle machine(sorry I dunno what it's called) . If a bicycle , then are there any cycling spots in Singapore thts pedestrian-free and car-free ? And also , to reduce body weight , is cycling the most advisable sport ? Or you have a better option , please advice .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

Default Re: Cycling questions . Need your advice .

Quote Originally Posted by loozhengyuan View Post
    Hmmm , would you prefer a bicycle or a bicycle machine(sorry I dunno what it's called) . If a bicycle , then are there any cycling spots in Singapore thts pedestrian-free and car-free ? And also , to reduce body weight , is cycling the most advisable sport ? Or you have a better option , please advice .
    no particular preference, both have pros and cons. For bicycle, it's more fun and interesting to ride outside, unless it rains. For 'bicycle machine', it gets boring after some time. But you can use it anytime, even when it is raining.

For car free, may not be pedestrain free, try the Park Connectors. http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.p...tors&Itemid=74

Not sure if cycling is the best for losing weight. Maybe you can try with a mix of other sports. And don't forget to watch your diet.

you can have the best of both worlds by getting a bike and a bicycle trainer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_trainer

I think if you want to lose weight, jogging or skipping would be a bit faster than cycling, not that cycling doesn't help. However, cycling cause less stress to your joints compared to the other 2 activities so i would go for that too.

go to SMBF (Singapore Mountain Biking Forum) and ask them.. sure got alot answers

Actually, swimming is the best... the least impact to the joints.

If you cycle long distance and up and down hills, you may actually injure your knees in the long run.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post

If you cycle long distance and up and down hills, you may actually injure your knees in the long run.
    yep. swimming makes use of almost all muscles...

on the down side, u will look like a bao bang ka if ur super duper fat. reason why i never go swimming

TS, maybe u post in this thread here in cs?

CS bicycles and cyclist thread
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...472352&page=38
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Watch your knees for repetitive stress ... meniscus can wear out faster.

Also, if not get right bike seat, may suffer what we like to call ... "butt cracks". Tear of the skin at the area where the seat contacts your body or bum.

Good if you do it with either swimming or cycling. Alternate the various exercises on a weekly basis. Say, this week you cycle and swim. Next, you run and cycle. Following, swim and then run. You get my drift, don't you?

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Trainers ( cycling machines) for rainy days, can get bored easily. If want to have people/car hassle free..only PCN at certain days, esp in the night. Must have good lights....just beware of cobras in some PCN !

Jogging is the best cardio exercise. Try high intensity running. It's running at full speed for 40 seconds and rest (rest, as in walk or jog) for 1-2 min. Do 8 reps. Because of the stress on the tissue, the body repairs the broken tissue which somehow makes you magically slim down.

It works! After my first time, I lost 2kg. It gets really tiring the first time round. It get's easier and easier after a few try. After not doing for 2 weeks, holiday and exams around the corner, my tummy is bigger.

Really? Where did you read this from?

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Watch your knees for repetitive stress ... meniscus can wear out faster.

Also, if not get right bike seat, may suffer what we like to call ... "butt cracks". Tear of the skin at the area where the seat contacts your body or bum.
    guys, i think thats the least of ur worry, read this

Does Bicycling Cause Erectile Dysfunction and Impotence in Men?
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/c...gImpotence.htm

so before getting into serious cycling hobby, read more to understand and prevent injuries, as with all other sports.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Really? Where did you read this from?
    Not read... personal experience... my knees are bad now...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

dont exercise will have problem , exercise also will have problem. very headache. my shoulder hurts due to long hours of computer usage, now my dilemma is whether to exercise or not.
    Objection !!!

Not read... personal experience... my knees are bad now...
    Interesting. What did you do?
    I've climbed Genting four times and still I know of others who's done it many times more and still no problem.

My personal experience is, if one does not gradually build up hill training and suddenly decide one is going to be a mountain goat, there will be problem (most likely muscle imbalance, and resulting in tendonitis, but that lasts a week or so - no permanent damage). However building gradually will avoid even this, as generally our muscles build a lot faster than tendons, thus the problems when starting hill training.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    dont exercise will have problem , exercise also will have problem. very headache. my shoulder hurts due to long hours of computer usage, now my dilemma is whether to exercise or not.
    Light exercise should help... and get a doctors advice on whether it is suitable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Interesting. What did you do?
    I've climbed Genting four times and still I know of others who's done it many times more and still no problem.

My personal experience is, if one does not gradually build up hill training and suddenly decide one is going to be a mountain goat, there will be problem (most likely muscle imbalance, and resulting in tendonitis, but that lasts a week or so - no permanent damage). However building gradually will avoid even this, as generally our muscles build a lot faster than tendons, thus the problems when starting hill training.
    Well, I would guess that as a younger individual, you tend to have the invincible mentality and tend to push your body harder than you should. I guess this may have been the ultimate killer...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Sources say tht Swimming is good for building muscles and whole body workout , but they do not burn fats .
    Sources say tht Cycling is good for burning fats and have little impact on joints . However its hard to find a place that you cycle hassle-free in SG .

Damn i just want to lose 10kg .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

Sources say tht Swimming is good for building muscles and whole body workout , but they do not burn fats .
    Sources say tht Cycling is good for burning fats and have little impact on joints . However its hard to find a place that you cycle hassle-free in SG .

If i interpret it as you are 10 kg overweight, then its better to choose a lower impact activity at the start.

As mentioned, there are many stretches of park connectors, likely to have at least one near the vicinity of your house.

start off with walking, swim to tone after. Cycling can be done at the parks or if you are near changi, there's always changi coast road.. (there is a parallel cycling path on the beach side)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast