Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 183338414243444548 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion - Season I

Default Re: Photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion or links to your galleries

Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post

trying out some landscape shots with the da1224 w k5. shot with ND1000 filter. PP with picasa. image is not sharp and colour is not saturated. anyway to improve?
    THere is the characteristic warm cast that comes when you use ND110.

Did you use manual focus? Also, what F/stop?

Default Re: Photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion or links to your galleries

Quote Originally Posted by kengoh View Post
    Shot both with the same settings:
    500mm +1.5x TC, 1/320s, F4.5, iso640, 0.00eV

Shifted the tripod to get a different bg.

Guys which bg would you prefer?
    #1, I like having more green, makes the bg less dull.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Went for a walk around my place this morning and shoot this two birds.

Little Bronze-Cuckoo (Male)
    http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...4/IMGP1026.jpg

Yellow-fronted Canary
    http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...4/IMGP1070.jpg
    Nice neighbourhood you have.

This one!

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    prefer this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    #1, I like having more green, makes the bg less dull.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    This one!
    Thanks guys for the comments.

Just received my K-5 yesterday after finally biting the bullet. First impressions: WOW!!! I haven't had a chance to put the 7fps and AF-C performance to the test, that will come tomorrow at some indoor basketball games. However, I did get to put the camera to good use at an event with super low light and check out its reputed high ISO capabilities. I was shooting at ISO 6400 and 12800 all night long and the noise performance is roughly comparable to ISO 1600 and 2200 on my K20D. I don't really mind the grain (which looks quite film-like actually) and there is none of the purple/magenta cast that shows up on ISO3200 upwards on the previous generation sensor. ISO 25600 (expanded ISO) is a bit nasty as the purple cast shows up but that's in comparison to the ISO 6400 image, which still blows me away. I would shoot ISO 25600 for my coverage for the school newspaper (previous upper limit was ISO 3200 only), but I'm really not sure whether I will ever need to go that high. I'm really quite amazed by the low light shooting that the K-5 opens up for me.

One downside is that in that situation I was struggling quite a lot with the reported tungsten low light front-focus issue. The camera was confident in locking on, but the image was quite consistently front focusing. I'll have to try the camera out even more to see if this problem is manageable, especially in slightly better lighting that I find myself shooting in more often. I personally hope that Pentax will fix this problem in the K-5 because the FF is just letting the fantastic sensor down.

Lastly, the interface is totally different from the K20D so I think it will take some getting used to. I also intend to shoot with both bodies at events but the different button placement and user interface might be a problem.

Here are some photos I took last night, I think you will agree with me that these samples are nothing short of impressive.

ISO 12800, f/2.8, 1/45

ISO 12800, f/2.8, 1/125

ISO 6400 f/2.8, 1/90

darren, those shots are amazing.
    may i ask if any PP involved and what lens were u using for these 3 shots?

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    darren, those shots are amazing.
    may i ask if any PP involved and what lens were u using for these 3 shots?
    Thanks! My standard PP work involves some exposure, contrast adjustments, toning, vignetting and slight NR in LR3. I prefer to leave some of the grain than to totally get rid of grain at the expense of a "smeared" look. I was using Tamron 17-50 for the first shot and Tamron 70-200 for the last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by otc View Post
    You are applying the rule of 1/3 here. Sharpness is not an issue. Composition is superb.. You have brought out the scene as it is as the walk board is about 100 metres or so from where you shot.

I may want to try to tilt the lens down a little to give the perception that the walkboard is link to the other end of the river... ie the edge of the walkboard touching the far horizon of the other side of the river.

marcus
    thanks, marcus. that's a good suggestion of tilting the lens to link the two sides of the lake. will try out in the next outing.

Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    For me, sharpness is not an issue for Landscape. Coz anytime can sharp. But I find the pic to be underexposed. I see u using 20sec exposure. Maybe can try abit more than that. If its me, I would overexposed abit, change it to black n white. That can help more details of the sky.

My 2cents
    appreciate your dua kupang. next time will try different exposure time.

Kam Fei, you may need to adj. the colors as well. It's the typical tint from a ND110, that you'll need to correct during PP. And yes, you may have to adjust the curves a little to lighten the shadows. This lens is certainly capable of sharper images from my experience. Before you shoot next time, make sure when you set it to Manual focus, also set your focal distance to infinity. You may have adjusted that unknowingly.

My sun shots were destroyed because I forget to cover my viewfinder!
    thanks for the help during the shoot and the comments here. how come need to cover viewfinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    It's the B+W ND110? The filter has a strong red cast and I always need a large WB correction in raw. That usually affects the colour saturation as well, so need more tweaking after WB correction. Not sure if it's easy to work in jpg if using the ND110...

Not sharp maybe 'cos the jetty was moving slightly? Anyway, we can't tell that it's not sharp.
    yup, it is the B+W ND110. the sky doesnt look sharp, i mean. didnt do much correction during pp. as this is my first time using ND110 didnt know the orangy cast was so pronounce.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    THere is the characteristic warm cast that comes when you use ND110.

Did you use manual focus? Also, what F/stop?
    Yup, the focus was set to infinity with f8 stop and 20s exposure. on tripod with ISO100.

guys, thank you for all the comments and advices, especially bernard for setting up the meet at pandan reservoir.
    shoot to remember. flickr

Nice!
    Shot them at Puggol East/Central?
    I don't have the canary yet.
    Thanks Ken. Shot them at Punggol East.

I was lucky to see it fly out to the open and stayed long enough for me to get near to take some shots.

Prefer #1 too.

Nice neighbourhood you have.
    Thanks Bernard. It's the glassland near where you all go and shoot the bridge. That place is going to be gone soon to make way for a golf driving range and sports hub.

Hi Ken
    Excellent shot!
    Prefer the first one as I am colour-biased.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Went for a walk around my place this morning and shoot this two birds.

Little Bronze-Cuckoo (Male)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853439

Yellow-fronted Canary

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...98#post6999798
    Des
    You must be staying next to the Birdpark! Very sharp and nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    Ok last two photos, from a very busy weekend for me.
    FA 77

Very nice, Cornelius. Always trying to learn to take such portraits with such sharpness and details.
    And your Barrage scene is fantastic too! It looks so un-real. Like a scene from Terminator....!
    Last edited by airconvent; 20th February 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    Thanks! My standard PP work involves some exposure, contrast adjustments, toning, vignetting and slight NR in LR3. I prefer to leave some of the grain than to totally get rid of grain at the expense of a "smeared" look. I was using Tamron 17-50 for the first shot and Tamron 70-200 for the last 2.
    thats some poison for 17-50.. i think it's a good choice of bumping the ISO to get 1/45s, otherwise the old lady's hand might be blurry due to her movements.
    and best of all, the noise is hardly noticeable!

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    Just received my K-5 yesterday after finally biting the bullet. First impressions: WOW!!! I haven't had a chance to put the 7fps and AF-C performance to the test, that will come tomorrow at some indoor basketball games. However, I did get to put the camera to good use at an event with super low light and check out its reputed high ISO capabilities. I was shooting at ISO 6400 and 12800 all night long and the noise performance is roughly comparable to ISO 1600 and 2200 on my K20D. I don't really mind the grain (which looks quite film-like actually) and there is none of the purple/magenta cast that shows up on ISO3200 upwards on the previous generation sensor. ISO 25600 (expanded ISO) is a bit nasty as the purple cast shows up but that's in comparison to the ISO 6400 image, which still blows me away. I would shoot ISO 25600 for my coverage for the school newspaper (previous upper limit was ISO 3200 only), but I'm really not sure whether I will ever need to go that high. I'm really quite amazed by the low light shooting that the K-5 opens up for me.

One downside is that in that situation I was struggling quite a lot with the reported tungsten low light front-focus issue. The camera was confident in locking on, but the image was quite consistently front focusing. I'll have to try the camera out even more to see if this problem is manageable, especially in slightly better lighting that I find myself shooting in more often. I personally hope that Pentax will fix this problem in the K-5 because the FF is just letting the fantastic sensor down.

Lastly, the interface is totally different from the K20D so I think it will take some getting used to. I also intend to shoot with both bodies at events but the different button placement and user interface might be a problem.

Here are some photos I took last night, I think you will agree with me that these samples are nothing short of impressive.
    Congrats on your purchase bro, let me know about the 70-200 results ok Waiting for next week to get my K-5.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

Quote Originally Posted by art2d2 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase bro, let me know about the 70-200 results ok Waiting for next week to get my K-5.
    ... all upgrading to K5!

Darren, congrats on your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    thats some poison for 17-50.. i think it's a good choice of bumping the ISO to get 1/45s, otherwise the old lady's hand might be blurry due to her movements.
    and best of all, the noise is hardly noticeable!
    I was testing to see how far I could push the ISO on the K-5 and I'm really impressed with how that turned out. ISO 12800 is just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by art2d2 View Post
    Thanks Arthur. I'm still testing it out, just shot some basketball today. The AF is definitely better than K20D but still nowhere near bai fa bai zhong. But the higher FPS is really great. Give me some more time and I'll be able to post more detailed thoughts on the new camera. I'm quite sure you will like it when it comes

... all upgrading to K5!

Darren, congrats on your new toy.
    Thanks Bernard. I'll be sure to post a lot of K-5 poison, hopefully more and more people upgrade to this fantastic camera.

Congrats Darren on your new K-5.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Congrats Darren on your new K-5.
    Thanks Denis. I wish I could've gotten it earlier but the price was prohibitively high for me until now. Spend about as much as you guys did but missed out on almost 4 months of shooting with it.. Better late than never. My K20D sensor conked out the day the K-5 arrived, so perhaps this is all fated

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 183338414243444548 ... LastLast