Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Walking smokers

  1. #41

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    smoking will never be totally banned in sg... and all those restriction imposed by the government is just for show only in my opinion. Nvr seen anyone fine before for smoking outside the non smoking zone?

    cos the government is still earning from these cigarette tax afterall.
    why should one be fine smoking outside the non smoking zone?

    let me start by stating that i have never smoke in my life n i don't enjoy the smell.

    but is cigarettes a legal product?
    n isn't it enough that smokers can't enjoy their little pleasure almost anywhere.

    if smoking is really so harmful, might as well just call for the total ban of it?
    they did it with chewing gum, didn't they?

  2. #42

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    although the nicotine found in ciggarettes is also a drug, it's controlled in quantity.

    however, those other drugs that are illegal contain substances which contain substances which cause people to hallucinate, stone and do many other things.

    if you've read cases of people who consume such drugs, you'll know what they do afterwards:
    1) think they're superman and jump off buildings or walk across busy roads thinking it's empty
    2) become so dependant on the drugs that they practically can't do anything. not even work.
    3) most of these drug addicts don't even hold proper jobs and beg, steal, rob to get money for their next hit.
    4) abuse family members for money, or hallucinate that their family members want to kill them.

    and the list just goes on. and that's why all those hallucinogenic drugs are all banned worldwide, and not just in singapore
    ganja has all the pros w/o the cons,
    lets have the petition for legalizing it.
    n its not banned in holland too.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    there are considerate smokers... but hardly the majority.
    at least there is a considerate smoker,
    i hv yet to come across a considerate non smoker.

    not directing to the above thread now,
    ban this ban that just because u can't accept?
    why don't we ban the burning of joss paper as well?
    r we becoming a puritan country?
    do u do the missionary position only?

    live n let live.
    u get ur kick from capturing others soul into images(i believe in that),
    they get theirs from burning some weeds, so?

    seems like we live up to our whining n intolerance image pretty well here.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Actually.. considerate smokers are ok.. most pple would have no issue with them around..

    it's the inconsiderate ones that should be eradicated....

  5. #45

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    at least there is a considerate smoker,
    i hv yet to come across a considerate non smoker.

    not directing to the above thread now,
    ban this ban that just because u can't accept?
    why don't we ban the burning of joss paper as well?
    r we becoming a puritan country?
    do u do the missionary position only?

    live n let live.
    u get ur kick from capturing others soul into images(i believe in that),
    they get theirs from burning some weeds, so?

    seems like we live up to our whining n intolerance image pretty well here.
    I have stayed in the UK for awhile, reaction to smokers there are very different from Singapore.

    I smoke freely without the funny stares, people running away from you or even covering their mouths when I light up. Wonder why the reaction is so strong in Singapore?
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 24th September 2010 at 08:14 PM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    In Japan signboards, in pictorial forms and notices, everywhere "NO smoking while Walking". However any smoker will know where he can have a puff. Smokings points outside departmental stores, in the parks and also near to their versions of 7-11 stores. No boards to say that you can smoke here; however where ash bins are provided you may smoke. Very subtle message.

  7. #47
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    at least there is a considerate smoker,
    i hv yet to come across a considerate non smoker.

    not directing to the above thread now,
    ban this ban that just because u can't accept?
    why don't we ban the burning of joss paper as well?
    r we becoming a puritan country?
    do u do the missionary position only?

    live n let live.
    u get ur kick from capturing others soul into images(i believe in that),
    they get theirs from burning some weeds, so?

    seems like we live up to our whining n intolerance image pretty well here.

    +1
    We've become a society of puritians, intolerants, pseudo-preachers. Whining........
    We see the world with Singapore as standard yard-stick. Must they follow us....No
    We just cannot accept different societies have different cultural practices, different rules; just different. It's such diversity that make the world outside interesting and colourful.


    Adding to ed9119 comments " We should ban drinking too...... "

    Smokers killed themself smoking; Drinkers kill others, the innocents
    Last edited by shierwin; 24th September 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additional comment

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post

    Smokers killed themself smoking; Drinkers kill others, the innocents
    If the comment in red is 100% true, few pple would hv an issue. The fact is, they (the INCONSIDERATE ones) HARM others with their 2nd hand smoke.

    The drinkers comment is also faulty. Only drunken drivers kill, and those who drink excessively irritate. Those who don't drive or control their drinking are not a menace to society.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    All I can say is live & let live.

    The inconsiderate or considerate smokers & drinkers all all here to stay, doesnt mean that you dont smoke/drink you should ban it?

    I can tell you, a lot of smokers like myself, we wished we could quit smoking, its easier said than done. A lot of non smokers dont understand it.

    If we ban smoking for health reasons, should we ban burning of joss paper during 7th month? Not to mention, a lot of inconsiderate people burn the joss paper in the grass, on the drain covers etc. Change all cars to electric? Ban all fossil fuel vehicles?

    Talk about vehicles, I dont understand why Singapore is not implementing road tax by CO2 emissions?

    Just live & let live.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Weed is technically banned in Holland. It's only available for sale in Amsterdam in coffee shops because it is required by law to be discreet... hence the famous Amsterdam coffee.

    Selling cigarettes by the stick in "smoke shops" would be a backward move by the government. They already stopped importing the 10 pack cigarettes. This would either force light smokers to stop or become heavier smokers (more financial investment). In addition, by offering per stick sale of tobacco, the entry cost to "experience" smoking by youth becomes reduced from the price of 1 box to to the price of 1 stick.

    In California, Marijuana is a legalized medical drug which can be bought over the counter easily. The Czech republic may also be very close to legalizing Marijuana. Though there is a ban on hard drugs across the world.

    As a smoker, i agree that the smell produced by other smokers is quite unpleasant, but hey, it's not like I'm not offending anyone. Nice quote "let he who has no sin cast the first stone"

  11. #51

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    personally, a cigarette is best savoured when one is stationary.

    in general, i think we smokers need to cultivate good 'smoking etiquette' eg. not puffing in the direction of others, not throwing our cigarette butts wantonly, stubbing out completely before disposing off our cigarettes, not spitting ever so often when smoking etc.

    how many times have i seen the ashtray of a litter bin literally 'smoking' cos an inconsiderate smoker didnt stub out his cigarette completely? too often. then there'll always be idiots who throw a piece of tissue on the ashtray 'cos they cant be bothered to throw it into the bin proper.

    how many times have i seen HDB staircases sullied by pools of spit made by underaged smokers, sharing a smoke with their mates away from the public eye? if the taste is bitter, then smoking isnt for you, boy.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    In a bid to control the rising number of young smokers, the Ministry of Health announced that it is considering tightening the Tobacco Control Act to guard against the threat of new tobacco products and e-cigarettes.

    REACH contributors generally welcome the move, with a few even urging that we go a step further by imposing a total ban on the import of cigarettes. Other suggestions include imposing a quota on the import of cigarettes, increasing cigarette prices, extending the smoking ban to more areas, and raising the minimum age at which one can purchase cigarettes to 25 years. A few contributors also hope to see stricter enforcement against smokers who light up at designated no-smoking areas.

    Some contributors also shared anecdotes of having to put up with second-hand smoke, and expressed resentment towards those who smoked inconsiderately. This included inconsiderate neighbours who made little attempt to prevent their second-hand smoke from drifting into their neighbours' homes. Contributors hope that the relevant authority would look into such anti-social behaviour so as to safeguard the health of Singaporeans and create a healthier living environment for all.

    ---
    next time we might not able to smoke in our own house.....
    Last edited by ninelives; 30th September 2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Objection !!!

  13. #53
    Member armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pinnacle@Duxton
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Actually smoking in your own house is not a very good thing to do, especially if you have young children around

  14. #54

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    i'm a smoker and i dont understand why some smokers like to share their unpleasant
    smoke with those walking behind him. its really very annoying especially when one is crossing
    a road where you have no where to escape the smoke from the front.

    there's no right or wrong becos there isn't a law to stop ppl from doing this for now.
    however, i think GRACIOUS is the only way i can think of if we 1 2 live in harmony and peacefully.

    treat ppl the way you want to be treated.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    at least there is a considerate smoker,
    i hv yet to come across a considerate non smoker.

    not directing to the above thread now,
    ban this ban that just because u can't accept?
    why don't we ban the burning of joss paper as well?
    r we becoming a puritan country?
    do u do the missionary position only?

    live n let live.
    u get ur kick from capturing others soul into images(i believe in that),
    they get theirs from burning some weeds, so?

    seems like we live up to our whining n intolerance image pretty well here.
    non smoker here but i do agree with your point, though sometimes (when you woke up onthe wrong side of the bed), it's annoying to have someone walking in front of you, puffing their smokes.

    i just overtake them, show respect, get respect... i do believe in that, so unless they purposely blow the smoke on my face, i just leave them be!
    Why so serious... Son?

  16. #56

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    i'm a smoker and i dont understand why some smokers like to share their unpleasant
    smoke with those walking behind him. its really very annoying especially when one is crossing
    a road where you have no where to escape the smoke from the front.

    there's no right or wrong becos there isn't a law to stop ppl from doing this for now.
    however, i think GRACIOUS is the only way i can think of if we 1 2 live in harmony and peacefully.

    treat ppl the way you want to be treated.
    Why so serious... Son?

  17. #57
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Walking smokers

    i smoke only when i drink but in stationary mode. If walking on the street, i will puff out the smoke when there's no one, and if there are some people then i puff out the smoke in the air above my head (like old classic smoky train).

    I DETEST smokers who never stub out their fags and then let it catch fire in the ash tray on top of the rubbish bin.

    I always make sure i have completely stub out the fag when i am done with it, so that it will not produce smoke in the ash tray and then catch fire later on top of the rubbish bin.

    BTW, i am against totalitarian attitudes...
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •