Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Save the Commonwealth Games

Blog Entries

Default Re: Save the Commonwealth Games

Just finished a conference call with our Delhi branch manager .... after clearing up work matters I asked if he was excited about the Commonwealth Games starting next week... he was excited but hoped that the organizers will clean up the gigantic mud pools scattered throughout the Games sites .... said that the Games should go on OK ..... at the expense of New Delhi residents

The health concerns is serious......... we've installed an active filtration system and perpetual water boiler in the office ..... some staff actually fill up their bottles to bring home after work. Hear that the recent rains mixed with cow and human excretements on the roads and mixing in with the groundwater is not at all pleasant.
    Last edited by ed9119; 23rd September 2010 at 12:08 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Just finished a conference call with our Delhi branch manager .... after clearing up work matters I asked if he was excited about the Commonwealth Games starting next week... he was excited but hoped that the organizers will clean up the gigantic mud pools scattered throughout the Games sites .... said that the Games should go on OK ..... at the expense of New Delhi residents

The health concerns is serious......... we've installed an active filtration system and perpetual water boiler in the office ..... some staff actually fill up their bottles to bring home after work. Hear that the recent rains mixed with cow and human excretements on the roads and mixing in with the groundwater is not at all pleasant.
    Well, its up to them to ease the athletes' concerns now, the facilities might be there but the health and safety issues are still around, more athletes than those whom alr withdrawed might not want to take the risk

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I wonder those still supporting Dehli and dreaming that they can pull it off, have ever been to Dehli or India.

They may pull it off, but at what cost? Cost to the country that can ill afford this spectacle, and at what cost to the atheletes.

Beside, the Commonwealth Game, really an afterthough in the arena of international competitions.
    If you are refering to me, I have been to Mumbai, Chennai and Kerela, not Delhi. Though it does not mean that I am familiar with the inner workings of India. In fact, I don't know how India works. However, India is not a poor country lah. There are reasons why there are so many poverty but it is defintely not poor. Look at their military budgets. If you look at China, South Africa and Brazil. There are also alot of poor people. It is always debated if these countries should be so extravagant in building multi million dollar stadiums to host one off sporting events when they could have used the money to feed their poor. I know the quality of infrastructure the Indian builds, not world class. You get water seepage, wall cracks, tiles falling off, straight through water pipes (without the U bends). Even newly laid roads can have pot-holes. So if you want to scrutinize, there really is a lot you can complain about. Anyway, I am neither supporting nor against them. If you ask me to, I would not go there and watch the games, even if it is free. But to say they are less capable would be an understatement.

I also think the sportsmen should adopt the fact that he is truly good if he can compete in any environment. For those kuniang and spoilt athletes, maybe they can stay home and wait for the games to come to their door-steps.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 23rd September 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

China can pull off the Olympics.
    Little Singapore can pull of the yOG.

What happened in Mumbai is remembered by everyone.

Not much hope for Japan's participation in Nanking YOG 4 years later. The recent spat over islands can escalate and worse - memories of what Japan did in Nanking during WW2.
    In my opinion, sports and sportmanship should never be put in line with politics.

If the concern is safety due to the said collapsed of infrastructure or recent security incident, that would be justifiable. Tracing back to war history is not wise statement.

Just hope that the sportsmen going there would be safe and return safely.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    Actually, it looks like it has yet to be commissioned. These look just like your HDB/Condo before you move in, if you are among the early birds. I am sure you know where the construction workers do their business. But you guys are right. With only a few days left, it should be in much better conditions than these.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 24th September 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    I wonder why is India chosen in the first place. I was there on a holiday once, I was suffering even when I was a tourist.....
    Diarrhoea?

Sing cannot be too obvious in turning India down.
    Not diplomatic....
    SGP will not dare jeopardize the business/trade relationship with India.

But they should have the officials and athletes' welfare & safety as priority.

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    In my opinion, sports and sportmanship should never be put in line with politics.

Tracing back to war history is not wise statement.
    ha.. ha...human beings don't think that way. Not if your ancestral kinfolk were butchered in the Nanking massacre.

USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics ...... politics got nothing to do with it...yah,...sure....we believe you....

ha.. ha...human beings don't think that way. Not if your ancestral kinfolk were butchered in the Nanking massacre.

USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics ...... politics got nothing to do with it...yah,...sure....we believe you....
    Yes, you are right! It is human nature to be drawn into that kind of emo. my grandparents sduffered not lesss than any of those when went through the dark period. We can forgive but not forget the history.

let the sport Game be itself without mmuch of politic colour.

we saw that in YOG, in Beijing 2008, South Africa WC .... just like that.

Hope the sportsmen play safe and return safe. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Yes, you are right! It is human nature to be drawn into that kind of emo. my grandparents sduffered not lesss than any of those when went through the dark period. We can forgive but not forget the history.

let the sport Game be itself without mmuch of politic colour.

we saw that in YOG, in Beijing 2008, South Africa WC .... just like that.

Hope the sportsmen play safe and return safe. cheers
    It is a perfect scenario that politic will not affect sports but we all know that the world is far from ideal so let all hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    If you are refering to me, I have been to Mumbai, Chennai and Kerela, not Delhi. Though it does not mean that I am familiar with the inner workings of India. In fact, I don't know how India works. However, India is not a poor country lah. There are reasons why there are so many poverty but it is defintely not poor. Look at their military budgets. If you look at China, South Africa and Brazil. There are also alot of poor people. It is always debated if these countries should be so extravagant in building multi million dollar stadiums to host one off sporting events when they could have used the money to feed their poor. I know the quality of infrastructure the Indian builds, not world class. You get water seepage, wall cracks, tiles falling off, straight through water pipes (without the U bends). Even newly laid roads can have pot-holes. So if you want to scrutinize, there really is a lot you can complain about. Anyway, I am neither supporting nor against them. If you ask me to, I would not go there and watch the games, even if it is free. But to say they are less capable would be an understatement.

I also think the sportsmen should adopt the fact that he is truly good if he can compete in any environment. For those kuniang and spoilt athletes, maybe they can stay home and wait for the games to come to their door-steps.
    India is ill suited because the Central Govt is weak, the system is corrupt, the public sector is unorganized.
    If you don't want to go to watch the game, why do you feel atheletes has to endure the unreasonable hardships?

Yes, I am say, India has no real business hosting this game. They are not ready, not prepared, not deserving.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

just now on news, singapores' athletes must not expect hotel grade accomodations. advice to wear slippers even in the room as there r many sharp edges due to poor finishing. water doesnt drain properly in the bath room after use. advice to bring dis-infectant spray.

if i m representing, sorry, not going.
    Last edited by denniskee; 23rd September 2010 at 11:33 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    just now on news, singapores' athletes must not expect hotel grade accomodations. advice to wear slippers even in the room as there r many sharp edges due to poor finishing. water doesnt drain properly in the bath room after use. advice to bring dis-infectant spray.

if i m representing, sorry, not going.
    Drainage problem = dengue problem, if it was me, not going too.
    Last edited by spree86; 23rd September 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Sing cannot be too obvious in turning India down.
    Not diplomatic.
    If a serious incident happens, that's what every country is waiting for.
    That is the excuse they have to back out.
    It is like, don't blame me. Now you know why we cannot come.

In the 9.30pm news just now, a long list of world class sports men/women have backed out personally.

India wanted it to be a showcase. Problem is, it can showcase how splendid India is or it can showcase how CMI India is.

China can pull off the Olympics.
    Little Singapore can pull of the yOG.

What happened in Mumbai is remembered by everyone.

Not much hope for Japan's participation in Nanking YOG 4 years later. The recent spat over islands can escalate and worse - memories of what Japan did in Nanking during WW2.
    Dude, next YOG is in Nanjing not Nanking.
    And to the cser who mention the commonwealth games bigger then the yog, it's not. Yog has 205 participating countries, commonwealth has 85 but some are already pulling out. In my opinion I think the games will go on but at a lower state and service level.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    OH PLEASE !!! most toilets after renovation also look like that before cleaning up ... I know I've been a little critical in earlier post but lets be fair ..... IF this was the pic of a typical Game venue toilet AFTER opening ceremony, THEN there is a problem ...
    Last edited by ed9119; 24th September 2010 at 12:07 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    India is ill suited because the Central Govt is weak, the system is corrupt, the public sector is unorganized.
    If you don't want to go to watch the game, why do you feel atheletes has to endure the unreasonable hardships?

Yes, I am say, India has no real business hosting this game. They are not ready, not prepared, not deserving.
    I am not that familiar with India history and politics so will not be drawn into this discussion. But I think it is not easy to govern the country. If you do a wiki search on the political parties, you will see that other than the recognized parties, the unrecognize ones lists from A-Z.

If I am an athlete representing the country, I will brave all dangers and not chicken out. The lifespan of an athlete is short. He must cherish these big games opportunities. Other athletes are also going and enduring the same conditions. It is a level playing field. Why some athletes now are like celebrities. Not glam, not hip, then don't go. Surely as a spectator, you have the option to choose. I wouldn't go to South Africa too. I do not think I can fit into the culture of vuvuzela or bangra drums at the stadium. Athletes are going to compete and make a name for themselves. Spectators are there for the experience. Cannot compare the 2.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 24th September 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    OH PLEASE !!! most toilets after renovation also look like that before cleaning up ... I know I've been a little critical in earlier post but lets be fair ..... IF this was the pic of a typical Game venue toilet AFTER opening ceremony, THEN there is a problem ...

huh... i have installed toilet bowls and did some plumbing and occassionally helped with renovation works when i'm doing my part time job. i assure u none of my toilets look like that, even if i'm fixing it

at least not THAT bad as far as i remember

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    huh... i have installed toilet bowls and did some plumbing and occassionally helped with renovation works when i'm doing my part time job. i assure u none of my toilets look like that, even if i'm fixing it

at least not THAT bad as far as i remember
    selective memory lost may be

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Drainage problem = dengue problem, if it was me, not going too.
    due to flood mass recent flood in some states in india (on news but not sure if its near the games area), there r already outbreak of dengue and other health probelms.

My reaction is after looking at the pictures of that unfinished olympic village. I wonder how is it like at the stadiums.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast