Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Save the Commonwealth Games

Default Save the Commonwealth Games

After the success of the Youth Olympic Games is there any truth that the Queen is thinking of transferring the Commonwealth Games to Singapore from the shambles in Delhi.

Default Re: Save the Commonwealth Games

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee View Post
    After the success of the Youth Olympic Games is there any truth that the Queen is thinking of transferring the Commonwealth Games to Singapore from the shambles in Delhi.
    I'm not sure if it really will be moved here, most of the news coverage actually suggests that it might be canceled because the team don't want to send their athletes over. Also, we don't have an olympic village anymore, NTU dorms are now occupied by the students.

that would be such a shame if India cannot complete it on time.

imagine all the hard work and preparation for competition. only to be let down the last minute.

I don't think it was a last minute thing though. My friend was in Delhi last year and saw that the infrastructure wasn't even up then.

General safety seems to be real a concern for the athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    General safety seems to be real a concern for the athletes.
    The safety issue is big cos of the shooting and the dengue outbreak, other aspects such as no internet, no mobile network coverage and insufficient amenities are not helping too. If i'm the athlete i wouldn't go too.

I wonder why is India chosen in the first place. I was there on a holiday once, I was suffering even when I was a tourist. My first and last time.

I don't think even Singapore is ready to host the games which is due to start in about a week's time (3rd Oct).... but if they allow another 1~2 months to prepare, I am pretty sure it is possible...
    Last edited by watermaze; 22nd September 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by watermaze View Post
    I don't think even Singapore is ready to host the games which is due to start in about a week time (3rd Oct).... but if they allow another 1~2 months to prepare, I am pretty sure it is possible...
    I don't think any country is prepared to host it in a week's time. What about the opening ceremony? To train and mobilize thousands of performers, costumes, fireworks, etc. Nah, not possible.

Blog Entries

YOG hiccups seem like very small now compared to what Dehli is facing ..............
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

And it keeps getting better...

False ceiling collapses in main stadium.

Definitely not a good omen for the Games.

Arrow Re: Save the Commonwealth Games

Let's not put our athletes in harm's way.

They were not able to save Ms Lo Hwei Yen.

About one-and-a-half hours later,Ms Los husband, Mr Michael Puhaindran, identified the body as that of his 28-year-old wife, making her the first Singaporean to have been killed in an overseas terrorist attack.
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...393023/1/.html

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    YOG hiccups seem like very small now compared to what Dehli is facing ..............

I only guessing here.... but isn't the Commonwealth Games much BIGGER than the YOG ?? Could this be a reason why its much harder to get the job done.....

I'm hoping that the games will not be affected much.... India had already spent sooo much $$$$ already.... if no team turn up.... die lah

Scuba & Father... For Life

I think it is typical of the developed nations angst towards events held in developing nations. They ruck up the same things about Beijing air quality, human rights, construction progress etc before the 2008 Olympics. It turned out that was the most impressive Olympics ever. Of course India is more chaotic due to the democracy and the strained relations with their neighbours.

With China having hosted the 2008 Olympic successfully and Brazil hosting the 2014 World Cup. It will be interesting to see how India pull off this Commonwealth games as one the the big 5 newly industrialized economies.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 22nd September 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I think it is typical of the developed nations angst towards events held in developing nations. They ruck up the same things about Beijing air quality, human rights, construction progress etc before the 2008 Olympics. It turned out that was the most impressive Olympics ever. Of course India is more chaotic due to the democracy and the strained relations with their neighbours.

With China having hosted the 2008 Olympic successfully and Brazil hosting the 2014 World Cup. It will be interesting to see how India pull off this Commonwealth games as one the the big 5 newly industrialized economies.
    True but this time its kinda different, the lodging and amenities are not even up, even if they want to hold the game, it might be impossible due to the lack of infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    True but this time its kinda different, the lodging and amenities are not even up, even if they want to hold the game, it might be impossible due to the lack of infrastructure.
    Not up or not ready? If piling is not done, concrete is not poured. Then it would be a big joke and a slap in the face of India's aspiration. But if it is just not ready, then it surely isn't a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Not up or not ready? If piling is not done, concrete is not poured. Then it would be a big joke and a slap in the face of India's aspiration. But if it is just not ready, then it surely isn't a big issue.
    From what i've read, parts of the athlete village is not fully built yet and those which are built, electricity and plumbing are not put in. They are now rushing the work trying to get it done by the time the athletes arrive, which is actually these few days.

I wonder those still supporting Dehli and dreaming that they can pull it off, have ever been to Dehli or India.

They may pull it off, but at what cost? Cost to the country that can ill afford this spectacle, and at what cost to the atheletes.

Beside, the Commonwealth Game, really an afterthough in the arena of international competitions.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

international sporting events like these should really be placed in the hands of people who are capable enough and have the ability to accomplish it. such events require so much responsibility and planning.

Sing cannot be too obvious in turning India down.
    Not diplomatic.
    If a serious incident happens, that's what every country is waiting for.
    That is the excuse they have to back out.
    It is like, don't blame me. Now you know why we cannot come.

In the 9.30pm news just now, a long list of world class sports men/women have backed out personally.

India wanted it to be a showcase. Problem is, it can showcase how splendid India is or it can showcase how CMI India is.

China can pull off the Olympics.
    Little Singapore can pull of the yOG.

What happened in Mumbai is remembered by everyone.

Not much hope for Japan's participation in Nanking YOG 4 years later. The recent spat over islands can escalate and worse - memories of what Japan did in Nanking during WW2.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 22nd September 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast