Thread: Advice on lens upgrade

Default Advice on lens upgrade

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a suitable lens upgrade for my D40. Would preferably find lens that can auto-focus with D40 automatically.

Also, I found out that I'm unable to focus on objects somewhat far away.

Is it something to do with my settings? I can't seem to focus as clear on the object as I would have like to, like the picture.

Would appreciate any form of help.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 21st September 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Default Re: Advice on lens upgrade

Increase your aperture will helps.

If this is not your picture, please properly credit the photographer.

Also, how are you "unable to focus"? Remember, your old D40 only has 3 AF points, so make sure you use them well. Also, you're on 6MP, right? Does your pic look sharp when resized to a smaller size?
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by discostickz View Post
    I'm currently looking for a suitable lens upgrade for my D40. Would preferably find lens that can auto-focus with D40 automatically.
    Something to read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm
    You could also ask the guys in the Nikon equipment forum. I'm sure they'll have plenty of suggestions. What's your budget? What's your intended usage?

Is it something to do with my settings? I can't seem to focus as clear on the object as I would have like to, like the picture.
    Read about Depth of Field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm
    To me, the picture is sufficiently sharp at the center (the pattern of the pants is spot on). The face appears a bit soft, though. But without knowing the details (hint: missing exif data) we can only guess.
    Last edited by Octarine; 21st September 2010 at 09:00 PM.
    EOS

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Would appreciate any form of help.
    Thanks.
    Please post an example of your work, so we know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Please post an example of your work, so we know how to help you.
    Hi, this is one of the shots I took

I remember focusing on the middle point, which was on the object. However, the background is not exactly "blurred" as I'd hv liked to.
    Sometimes I feel that my pictures seem to be shot with a normal compact cam, instead of dslr quality..
    Last edited by discostickz; 21st September 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Blog Entries

if you have not gotten direct permission from image owner, do not leech the pic. dat is piracy.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Something to read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm
    You could also ask the guys in the Nikon equipment forum. I'm sure they'll have plenty of suggestions. What's your budget? What's your intended usage?

Read about Depth of Field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm
    To me, the picture is sufficiently sharp at the center (the pattern of the pants is spot on). The face appears a bit soft, though. But without knowing the details (hint: missing exif data) we can only guess.
    Hi, thanks for the links, wld be sure to check them out!

Blog Entries

I remember focusing on the middle point, which was on the object. However, the background is not exactly "blurred" as I'd hv liked to.
    Sometimes I feel that my pictures seem to be shot with a normal compact cam, instead of dslr quality..
    There you go. No need to buy lenses until you need it:

Using a DSLR doesn't mean you instantly get images you desire. May i ask what mode do you usually shoot in?

A fair amount of homework have to be done to know how to get the image you want, its not the camera's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    A fair amount of homework have to be done to know how to get the image you want, its not the camera's fault.

No camera can read the mind of the person behind the viewfinder. One has to understand how a camera works (technically, optically) and then setup accordingly to achieve the desired result.
    If you shoot with a DSLR as you do with compact cam why should the results differ?
    EOS

Pro camera does not mean pro pictures. You need to know what you're doing.
    Alpha