Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182338 ... LastLast

Thread: DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Part II

Default Re: DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Part II

Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    haha when i type tis post, i only type sg animal, but i saw wildcat end up with the "wild". haha
    I was wondering if you meant those "animals" that roams the streets at night...

but yeah, as DD123 mentioned, the thought of it sends shivers down my spine...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I was wondering if you meant those "animals" that roams the streets at night...

but yeah, as DD123 mentioned, the thought of it sends shivers down my spine...
    Wildcat will become DomesticatedCat soon...

I'm not a fan of "super-zoom" lenses for DSLRs, coz to me, the main point about using a DSLR is to have the best lens possible for the situation.
    I'm a newbie but now I find that i'm into prime lens. Damn BBB. 50/1.4 in my list now.
    Ain't too clever but definitely not stupid. Hey guys, just wanna learn....

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Wildcat will become DomesticatedCat soon...
    HouseCat?

HouseCat?
    How about PuddyTat?

I did! I did! I did see a PuddyTat!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

afternoon everyone!
    thanks for the advices that u guys have given me.. deep
    bbb virus in me..

hmmm.. I also wish I am able to adopt the all prime lenses route
    but it will burn holes deeper than what my pocket can go..
    especially telephoto primes.. lol..

so for now my plans will be 11-16, 17-50, 55-300.. anyone here can
    opinions on the set up I'm having?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFields View Post
    afternoon everyone!
    bbb virus in me..

Take your time lad... no point getting all in one shot. Over time, your plans will change. Trust me. Over time, you'll form an opinion that is more suitable for you than whatever we've said so far - coz you know yourself better. One lens at a time. You don't want to burn out in this hobby, a bit of BBB now and then later breathes new life to your photography.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFields View Post
    afternoon everyone!
    bbb virus in me..

Get the one you think you will need most first. See if you need zoom more, or wider angle, or a more 'overall' lens. get liao then you can decide on your next lens based on what you are lacking for you to shoot what you want

Notsoclever and quizsilver, see you guys tml morning!

f/1.8 primes still not so terrible in terms of pricing.
    My 'budget trinity' 35,50,85 f/1.8 primes cost me MUCH less than 1K.

btw what is "wild sg animal" har?
    why need 35,50,85 f1.8 primes? is there a big diff between these 3 lenses? care to share how much u got the 35 n 85 one? i noe the 50mm one is abt $190..

Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    why need 35,50,85 f1.8 primes? is there a big diff between these 3 lenses? care to share how much u got the 35 n 85 one? i noe the 50mm one is abt $190..
    Big difference is the focal lengths... 35 is at the widest - eg perfect for group photos in a smaller confined area ( where you can't step back). 50mm is in the middle... Whereas, 85mm is if you can't get any closer (a bit of a short range telephoto if you ask me)...

This is the alternative to having a zoom lens that covers 35 to 85mm... But notice that you'll never enjoy any f/1.8 from the zooms... Hence your DOF on zooms can never be as thin as the f/1.8 primes (aperture size can never be as large)... And during low lights - you'll suffer without boosting your ISO to unforgiveable noisy levels IF you need to shoot handheld... DOF is related to aperture size... the bigger the aperture, the thinner your DOF can be... How creamy your bokeh (background blurr), would depend on the design/construction of the lens. Number of blades, whether curved or straight, also affects bokeh quality.

Oops... you mentioned how much... haha missed that one

Brand new 35mm f/1.8 (strictly DX lens) is about 320.... 85mm is about 400 to 500 (maybe less?)... Of the 3, 85mm and 50mm is a D model (with aperture ring)... 35mm is a AF-S model... (no aperture ring)
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 24th September 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bitez View Post
    35 was a birthday present, bought from SLR-Revo.
    50 was the first prime I bought. $130 2nd hand and in good condition. Seller was upgrading to 1.4 version.
    85 was $450 2nd hand.

as kriegs said, it's about the focal length and the perspective you get from having to stand a certain distance away.
    35 is my light, 'party' lens. I pair w my SB400 for a really light walk-around setup to take fun shots of friends/family at the table.
    50 I use less because it's an in-between focal length.
    85 is nice for outdoor portraits, where you have a bit more space.

The limitations of primes versus zooms... if you're stuck in one small area (without the room to move back and forth)... if you only have one prime with you - you are dead and have to live with perspective that prime gives you... But seldom we are in that situation, hence... we use our legs to zoom...

However, the beauty of the primes is that they are cheap and affordable (at least the above mentioned ones) and they are best with thin DOF - no zoom can beat that! And why a number prefer primes over zooms in this aspect... But it depends on personal needs really... For photojournalists, they may prefer 17-55 / 24-70mm f/2.8 (not the best DOF but better than nothing and anything with smaller apertures). f/2.8 still gives quality bokeh (provided the lens can be used wide open - sharp enough). In some situations, photojournalists may not have the luxury of time to switch lenses - hence they prefer versatility of zooms over primes... Imaging you're in a war zone, conflict area, protests, you need to watch out for your own safety.. do you think you have to the time to switch lenses??

Not just the above situations, in weddings, birthday parties, big events, with a lot going-ons, people all around you... If you want the best candid moments at any given time and spot, quality f/2.8 zoom is what most would go for... unless you can jump over people and hop over tables to get the focal distance you want... lol!

Really, boils down to your style of shooting...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 24th September 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn View Post
    Notsoclever and quizsilver, see you guys tml morning!
    haha cya be gentle on me

Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    haha cya be gentle on me
    Hmmm... are you that fragile?

Too bad I can't go... you guys have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    The limitations of primes versus zooms... if you're stuck in one small area (without the room to move back and forth)... if you only have one prime with you - you are dead and have to live with perspective that prime gives you... But seldom we are in that situation, hence... we use our legs to zoom...

However, the beauty of the primes is that they are cheap and affordable (at least the above mentioned ones) and they are best with thin DOF - no zoom can beat that! And why a number prefer primes over zooms in this aspect... But it depends on personal needs really... For photojournalists, they may prefer 17-55 / 24-70mm f/2.8 (not the best DOF but better than nothing and anything with smaller apertures). f/2.8 still gives quality bokeh (provided the lens can be used wide open - sharp enough). In some situations, photojournalists may not have the luxury of time to switch lenses - hence they prefer versatility of zooms over primes... Imaging you're in a war zone, conflict area, protests, you need to watch out for your own safety.. do you think you have to the time to switch lenses??

Not just the above situations, in weddings, birthday parties, big events, with a lot going-ons, people all around you... If you want the best candid moments at any given time and spot, quality f/2.8 zoom is what most would go for... unless you can jump over people and hop over tables to get the focal distance you want... lol!

Really, boils down to your style of shooting...
    sharpness also another factor...

shoot the kit lens (which is actually quite a sharp lens) at 50mm and maximum aperture, then shoot the 50 prime at the same aperture. The difference is not huge, but definitely noticeable!

sharpness also another factor...

shoot the kit lens (which is actually quite a sharp lens) at 50mm and maximum aperture, then shoot the 50 prime at the same aperture. The difference is not huge, but definitely noticeable!
    yup yup! Think primes as concentrated piece of machinery targetted at handling a particular focal length with greater precision (but watchout, not all primes are that good). But the 3 primes mentioned here are superb value for their purpose. Whereas, zooms tend to be jack of all trades, master of none... (however some zooms can better than primes as well - like Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 14-24, 16-35, etc)... You just gotta know which!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 24th September 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Big difference is the focal lengths... 35 is at the widest - eg perfect for group photos in a smaller confined area ( where you can't step back). 50mm is in the middle... Whereas, 85mm is if you can't get any closer (a bit of a short range telephoto if you ask me)...

This is the alternative to having a zoom lens that covers 35 to 85mm... But notice that you'll never enjoy any f/1.8 from the zooms... Hence your DOF on zooms can never be as thin as the f/1.8 primes (aperture size can never be as large)... And during low lights - you'll suffer without boosting your ISO to unforgiveable noisy levels IF you need to shoot handheld... DOF is related to aperture size... the bigger the aperture, the thinner your DOF can be... How creamy your bokeh (background blurr), would depend on the design/construction of the lens. Number of blades, whether curved or straight, also affects bokeh quality.

Oops... you mentioned how much... haha missed that one

Brand new 35mm f/1.8 (strictly DX lens) is about 320.... 85mm is about 400 to 500 (maybe less?)... Of the 3, 85mm and 50mm is a D model (with aperture ring)... 35mm is a AF-S model... (no aperture ring)
    ooh.. thanks all for the detailed explaination!
    i like nice nice bokeh too.. always envied those whose pics have nice bokehs.. now finally own a D90 can try out...

no. of blades, curved or straight is dependent on the properties of the lens? how come a 50mm at $190 is cheaper than 35 and 85mm? btw, all the prices u listed above are nikkon lens rite? does sigma have these kinds of prime lens too?

35 was a birthday present, bought from SLR-Revo.
    50 was the first prime I bought. $130 2nd hand and in good condition. Seller was upgrading to 1.4 version.
    85 was $450 2nd hand.

as kriegs said, it's about the focal length and the perspective you get from having to stand a certain distance away.
    35 is my light, 'party' lens. I pair w my SB400 for a really light walk-around setup to take fun shots of friends/family at the table.
    50 I use less because it's an in-between focal length.
    85 is nice for outdoor portraits, where you have a bit more space.
    oh... i was thinking of getting a 50mm becus its in between, yet u didnt get it becus its in between.. hahah.. but very gd buys u have!

yup yup! Think primes as concentrated piece of machinery targetted at handling a particular focal length with greater precision (but watchout, not all primes are that good). But the 3 primes mentioned here are superb value for their purpose. Whereas, zooms tend to be jack of all trades, master of none... (however some zooms can better than primes as well - like Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 14-24, 16-35, etc)... You just gotta know which!
    so.... which primes aint good?

so dat i can avoid those...

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182338 ... LastLast