Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    rear sync, i.e. the flash fires at the end of the exposure, allowing you to expose correctly for the low light scene. Note that you may need a tripod if shutter speed is too long.

You better try them out and practise more before the actual date.
    oh yeah i just saw a website about it..... never thought of using it that way.....

thought only for fast stuffs like cars and bikes and such....

very good info.... thanks, both to you and quizesilver

i suppose that the movement of the capsule will not have problem on the background for slightly longer exposure hor?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfish View Post
    oh yeah i just saw a website about it..... never thought of using it that way.....

i suppose that the movement of the capsule will not have problem on the background for slightly longer exposure hor?
    If it's not too slow, like about 1/15 or 1/8... it should not matter, but if it drops lower to 1 sec or so, then you may get some slight movement in the BG.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

The capsule isn't very big, so like the other bros already said here, 50mm is way too tight. 17-55 is a good try, but having 10-22 is a pretty safe bet too.

With the capsule being relatively small, a diffuser like stofen will definitely work for you. Can explore other possibilities too.

cheer, hope u take plenty of nice shot for the ROM.
    i am still learning too.

i'm quite sure u shutter speed shld not go lower then 1/20. if yes bump up the iso abit.
    dun put the lens hood on if u tend to use it.

try capture their doing instead of them posing for u. then i am sure it will be nice too. of cos a final grp photo or only the hubby n wife is a must too

the capsule is not that big, with twenty persons inside, more likely you will be pin down to one spot,
    if so, using a prime lens you will be shooting from a same angle thru out the ceremony, like a CCTV......

anyway, from the questions you ask here, I wondering are you sure what are you doing? and is the person know what's he/she doing by asking you to shoot this event?

hope it is because of the super hot auspicious date, unable to find a photographer, not because of other reasons, no offend.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

a photographer for such events should have already have the knowledge of all the basic principle of photography, able to adapt what he have learnt, or have similar experience to the actual situation, he need to solve the problems there and then, without external help.

this is not an photo outing, not nice you can try some other day again,
    this is a wedding solemnization ceremony, not a birthday party that you can have it every year.
    So you only have one chance, you are expected to deliver results, think carefully.
    let the person know able your ability, if he/she don't mind, do whatever you can or please.

Blog Entries

bring the kit lens or a wider zoom ......... and a flash unit to balance out the wide DR between outside scene and inside

it will be more useful than a 50mm on APS-C sized crop ...... otherwise you will constantly be at one end of capsule with the subjects at the other end of the capsule trying to jam everyone into the viewfinder

hope u enjoy yourself !
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this is not an photo outing, not nice you can try some other day again,
    this is a wedding solemnization ceremony, not a birthday party that you can have it every year.
    yah loh, it is almost equal to AD... very stressful, once event pass its gone...

until now i never feel myself good for AD, perhaps i can still do pre wedding with my existing skills and knowledge since if the shoot dun turn out good, i can rearrange for another re-shoot with the couple. :x

not sure if its covered but shoot raw + jpeg if possible.

dont forget that the capsule is blue tinted so depending what time the event is, the people may be more "blue-ish".

also chances are the people will want a group picture inside the capsule.

I wont use a 50mm for the whole ceremony. an ultra wide angle is a must if dont have a lot of space to work with.
    Last edited by Reportage; 23rd September 2010 at 11:01 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    yah loh, it is almost equal to AD... very stressful, once event pass its gone...

until now i never feel myself good for AD, perhaps i can still do pre wedding with my existing skills and knowledge since if the shoot dun turn out good, i can rearrange for another re-shoot with the couple. :x
    On the contrary I am good at actual days, dinner and dances, live events haha.
    I have trouble artificially posing people.

anyway 50 is too tight. you need like 2m away to get 1 headshot. for a 2 person image, you need to be like 3m away, which is like the full length of the capsule.

If im not wrong, there is mock capsule near the place. although you can't go in, you can guage the distance.

use a UWA like the 8-16/10-20 (10-20 prefered coz there will be sun = there will be flare = 8/16 will flare up) distored images better than no images.

since you have a 7D and can do ettl wireless, you can put your flash in a corner pointing towards the sun for cross lighting, that way you wont have flat images.
    Last edited by IsenGrim; 23rd September 2010 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    On the contrary I am good at actual days, dinner and dances, live events haha.
    I have trouble artificially posing people.
    ohh i got problem posing people too (1 to 1, photographer to model) but for couples, quite simple (since they are comfortable with each other)... especially if you already knew the couple. Just make a point to sit down talk to the couple and listen to their expectation prior to the shoot. Then on the actual shoot, dun treat the shoot as a shoot but a normal date btw them two, ask them not to pose too much and treat me invisible haha. i will just be a lamp post tagging along on their date.
    Last edited by sinned79; 23rd September 2010 at 11:17 AM.

sounds tight. i wouldn't risk it.

when in doubt always run with a zoom and flash in the bag so that you know you can deliver at least the bare minimum.

to catchlight:
    thanks for your concern.
    i am more like asking about the situation inside the capsule as i have never been in it before.(i will go for once before if really have to, but seems like the info here are good enough.)
    and whether my 50mm is wide enough as thats the fastest lens i got. i got another 17-85mm for zooms though, but as you know its a slower lens. therefore, i am willing to rent one if many ppl recommends so. and i see that's the thing now.

erm... regarding your concern, i would say its a last minute decision to have their solemnization on that date. it is an event which they see when they pass by the local CC. they are allowed only 23 people onboard. 2 of which is the couple and 1 is the JoP, and left with 10 people for each side of the family. i happen to be one of the family who does shooting. so they asked for my help to do their shoot.
    i did shooting for my own brother's rom/mini-event before and found(not myself) the results acceptable, although not of professional quality.(not PP yet) i have some experience doing events for my current office and therefore, likely be able to expect what might happen people-wise. (if you can provide more would definitely be good.)
    anyway, we had a discussion yesterday. the organiser will be briefing the photogs on the events and do's/don'ts, as some minister is attending the mass after-event.

yes i agree with you that i might be a bit amateur-ish in my shooting skills. but i am willing to learn as much before the actual shoot. i am currently reading up books and website. and i am also attending classes to see if i have missed out on anything useful.

therefore, if you can provide me with tips, i will definitely be grateful.
    if you happen to be at the same place, come over and talk to me, if you can identify me.... thru my gears.
    (many photogs will be there as its an organised event.)

to everyone who have provided me with their inputs, thank you and keep them coming.
    i am reading...

regards.

to catchlight:
    thanks for your concern.
    i am more like asking about the situation inside the capsule as i have never been in it before.(i will go for once before if really have to, but seems like the info here are good enough.)
    and whether my 50mm is wide enough as thats the fastest lens i got. i got another 17-85mm for zooms though, but as you know its a slower lens. therefore, i am willing to rent one if many ppl recommends so. and i see that's the thing now.

erm... regarding your concern, i would say its a last minute decision to have their solemnization on that date. it is an event which they see when they pass by the local CC. they are allowed only 23 people onboard. 2 of which is the couple and 1 is the JoP, and left with 10 people for each side of the family. i happen to be one of the family who does shooting. so they asked for my help to do their shoot.
    i did shooting for my own brother's rom/mini-event before and found(not myself) the results acceptable, although not of professional quality.(not PP yet) i have some experience doing events for my current office and therefore, likely be able to expect what might happen people-wise. (if you can provide more would definitely be good.)
    anyway, we had a discussion yesterday. the organiser will be briefing the photogs on the events and do's/don'ts, as some minister is attending the mass after-event.

yes i agree with you that i might be a bit amateur-ish in my shooting skills. but i am willing to learn as much before the actual shoot. i am currently reading up books and website. and i am also attending classes to see if i have missed out on anything useful.

if you happen to be at the same place, come over and talk to me, if you can identify me.... thru my gears.

to everyone who have provided me with their inputs, thank you and keep them coming.
    i am reading...

regards.
    good luck! there is always first time just dun panic and make blunders cos this blunders can be 'costly' (in terms of memory value) to others.

to catchlight:
    thanks for your concern.

i am reading...

regards.
    i think why catchlight is concern is maybe the kind of ans we give sound like u nt too sure thus like dat.
    from he post, u can see that he is actually quite helpful to all.

err btw u may also wan to look up on some of the photographer and see how they take their shot and what kind of moment they capture.
    from there u can also learn some skill

not a must juz a tot.

to catchlight:
    thanks for your concern.

i am reading...

regards.
    you miss out a "s",

good to know that you have experience on event shooting,

I disagree using a 50mm thru out the whole event, it will be too tight, a couple of shots is fine, but what is the point of having fantastic venue but your lens is inadequate to show it? and since you shoot the ceremony before, do you think you have the time to change lens, find a nice angle, take a few shots, move around, look for new angle, take some more shots, change back to a zoom lens, carry on shooting again?

anyway, all the walls are glasses in the capsule, if it is in day time, all your shots are backlit, if it in the evening, needless to say you need to use flash, unless you ask everybody to hold their pose while you making exposures.
    if you're using flash, you will have reflection of your flash all over the place, you will have flash exposure nightmare too. So beside you composing your framing on the event, you also need to look out using somebody's head to block the reflection of your flash.

one more thing, the couple will be as nervous as you, they will do everything in a very fast pace, so you need to ask the couple to clam down, and slowly do whatever thing they need to do.

hope this help.

Has TS considered renting lens?

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Has TS considered renting lens?
    thats what i pointed out in the first place... just rent it for this occasion, don't spend money buy...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    the "roof" is too low. u may need to lower the flash intensity too.
    You may want to preempt TS how low is the roof and the colour of it, as well as the type of lightings used.

On a separate note, the sides are glass. If using flash, will you catch the reflection of it.

I think this shoot is quite challenging. Maybe can draw from some photos of people who have did it before.

erm... i did mentioned that i will be renting for one......

and ah ...... ya i know it will be challenging as you can see... therefore, i am asking for tips ....
    especially ppl who had shoot there before.

i know a lot had been mentioned above. however, if you feel you can add in to more of what the above had not mentioned, feel free to do so.

i believe this thread will be interesting and benefiting for many others who might be going there(Singapore Flyer) for their shoots in future, which i believe are not few.

cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast