Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

  1. #1

    Question Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Hi everyone

    Need some help/suggestions, please.....

    I have never been inside the Singapore Flyer capsule before,
    and I am asked to cover the shoot for a relative on their ROM very soon.

    therefore, I only got one chance to it.

    so as the question above:

    I currently am holding a Canon 7d which is a crop frame and I have a 50mm 1.8ii.

    Is this setup wide enough for the shoot? or do i need a wider lens?
    If need be, I'll go and rent one.

    Just to take note: i will be having 20 other ppl around in the capsule.

    what do you guys use for shoot in these situations?

    any other equipments, i will need for the shoot?

    i know its recommended, however is it really necessary to go one round in the SGP Flyer to experience beforehand?

    please share your valuable experience and suggestions.

    Thank you beforehand for your inputs.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    I would recon first and go on a ride. Bring your lenses. Depending on how much of a full body/half body shot you want, 50mm may or may not work for you. But best not to limit yourself like that.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    lighting?

    hmm, if your main focus is solely the couple (not really bothering about bg), this SHOULD BE JUST FINE! but, like what Rashkae have said, best not to limit yourself like that. It's okay if you go home thinking '**** i should have rented a WA etc.', but the couple would be, 'hmmm, why isn't there a shot that has a view of the cityscape...?'

    best bet, get a WA (kit lens will do the job).
    50mm for the bokeh.

    it'll be a luxury to bring portable lighting inside... (just a flash or two with triggers)
    Even Hot Girls Fart

  4. #4

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    50mm crop has an approximate 30 degree coverage and I doubt the capsule would have adequate camera to subject distance. Moreover, you are going to have 20 ppl. Don't risk your relative's big day; go take a ride to determine the situation as Rashkae has suggested.

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfish View Post
    Hi everyone

    Need some help/suggestions, please.....

    I have never been inside the Singapore Flyer capsule before,
    and I am asked to cover the shoot for a relative on their ROM very soon.

    therefore, I only got one chance to it.

    so as the question above:

    I currently am holding a Canon 7d which is a crop frame and I have a 50mm 1.8ii.

    Is this setup wide enough for the shoot? or do i need a wider lens?
    If need be, I'll go and rent one.

    Just to take note: i will be having 20 other ppl around in the capsule.

    what do you guys use for shoot in these situations?

    any other equipments, i will need for the shoot?

    i know its recommended, however is it really necessary to go one round in the SGP Flyer to experience beforehand?

    please share your valuable experience and suggestions.

    Thank you beforehand for your inputs.
    If you don't want to pay for a ride to find out. I'd suggest that you get an alternative lens and a flash to go along with it. Make sure you practise enough with it first before you do the actual thing.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #6

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Thank you everyone for prompt inputs.

    probably i should also mention that i also have 17-85mm f4-5.6 lens and a 580exii flash.

    why i only mentioned the 50mm(f1.8ii) was because i was concern with the light in the capsule as it will be an enclosed area..... sorry never been in there before.

    i know there will be ambient light around but dunno if there will be enough.

    i post for advise in the hope of getting valuable experience from (especially ppl) who had been there, with the hope of not having to pay a ride by my own self...... seems like i might have to pay for a ride then....

    so if you can provide more info about the capsule, i would be very thankful.

    regarding the part about lighting.....
    if i put my 580exII flash with a diffuser mounted on a tripod, would that do for extra lighting?
    would i be needing this? or something smaller?
    http://ddelectronics.com.sg/products...%252d119.html#

  7. #7

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    i think i'm quite sure tat 50mm + crop factor won't work for u. it will be way too narrow, think u need around at least 24mm and below to capture more ppl and at 3 quarter or full body.

  8. #8
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    will it be at night?? is that why you were thinking of using the 50? anyway, if you do, then it will be quite shallow DOF.. not going to get good groups, or trios shots etc...

    my reccomendation would be to rent a 17-55 f2.8... range is just nice.. aperture is there if you need it... and then just boost ur iso slightly to help if it is at night..

    i went on the flyer during national day.. to catch the fireworks with my gf... used.. 500d, 17-55 f2.8, no flash.. iso 800-1600 depending on the shot.. and then some shots with built-in flash tuned down to lowest power.. (when i asked someone else to help me take cos i don't trust their handheld shots)...


    shouldn't be a problem on a 7D and 17-55 combo...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  9. #9

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    will it be at night?? is that why you were thinking of using the 50? anyway, if you do, then it will be quite shallow DOF.. not going to get good groups, or trios shots etc...
    not sure about the time but most likely will be on the day time.

    since we are talking about the DOF.....
    if DOF is shallow at 1.8 to (let's say) 2.0, if i close the aperture to f11, will that help?

  10. #10
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfish View Post
    not sure about the time but most likely will be on the day time.

    since we are talking about the DOF.....
    if DOF is shallow at 1.8 to (let's say) 2.0, if i close the aperture to f11, will that help?
    f5.6 to f8 should be sufficient for most of the shots you take at such a distance.. But you may need to fill in with flash.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    space inside the capsule will be quite tight for 20 pple, right? I would think it will be difficult to isolate people in your shots. How would one approach such a situation would also be interesting. If you use too long a lens, you don't get enough of the background to show that it is taken in mid air in a revolving capsule. If you use too wide, it is like group photos all the time. Think need to cheorograph and direct the show a bit to make full use of the 30min. Quite challenging siah.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 22nd September 2010 at 03:03 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    i think i'm quite sure tat 50mm + crop factor won't work for u. it will be way too narrow, think u need around at least 24mm and below to capture more ppl and at 3 quarter or full body.
    Agree with this. 24mm is a better bet for 2ppl shots with the environment taken in.
    A 10-20mm is the safest choice.

    While a 50mm is possible to take photos of the couple, it will show off very little of the environment.

    The other thing to think about is lighting. Exposure difference between flyer and outside will be significant. Bring a flash and bounce it, while exposing the outside.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 22nd September 2010 at 02:12 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    ur 50mm definitely not enough.

    on your crop body it is 80mm... too tight to take a group photo of 20 within the capsule.

    u got 2 choice:

    1. get a 24mm like others suggest or maybe a 30mm sigma (but the group of 20 have to squeeze a little). 10-20 may distort the people standing at the corners.
    2. Rent a FF body for that one day event so you can use your 50mm f1.8.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Last wk I just went to the flyer at around 5+ in the afternoon. The capsule was bright enuff at that time but the problem is when the light shine behind the subject, your subject faces will be dark.

    So in my opinion, I think it will be gd to bring ur flash along.

    As for len, I was using a 28-75mm on a crop body and I find it sufficient for my shoot. Able to take a grp shot of 10 ppl with it from head to knee coverage.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  15. #15
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    As for len, I was using a 28-75mm on a crop body and I find it sufficient for my shoot. Able to take a grp shot of 10 ppl with it from head to knee coverage.
    you may want to advise TS which focal length u using.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Thank you everyone for the valuable inputs...

    i think i will take the plunge to rent a 17-55mm and bring my 580exII flash which i will put on the Lumiquest diffuser, on a tripod.

    what do you guys think? should be alright ...right???

  17. #17

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    I'd suggest a 17-55 or 15-85 with bounced flash. The 50 would have been ok if it was just 3-4 of you. It will be challenging to get a clear shot in there with so many people as you'd need to put some distance between you and the subjects...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    hi TS
    not too sure if it is too late.
    but 50mm will be tight inside the capsule. tried before.

    your current lens 17-85 will be ok.
    since you got your flash.
    remember to add diffuser too.
    the "roof" is too low. u may need to lower the flash intensity too.

    if u dun have the 17-55, nvm but make sure u are well verse in using the flash. and also u may wan to use rear mode.

    oh ya also tripod maybe good only for group shot. but since u are doing capture of the "event" do it free hand. use A mode for more consistent and cover more shot.
    take more shot so that at least there will be more decent one since it is going to be once for the ROM

    cheers

  19. #19

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    hi TS
    not too sure if it is too late.
    but 50mm will be tight inside the capsule. tried before.

    your current lens 17-85 will be ok.
    since you got your flash.
    remember to add diffuser too.
    the "roof" is too low. u may need to lower the flash intensity too.

    if u dun have the 17-55, nvm but make sure u are well verse in using the flash. and also u may wan to use rear mode.

    oh ya also tripod maybe good only for group shot. but since u are doing capture of the "event" do it free hand. use A mode for more consistent and cover more shot.
    take more shot so that at least there will be more decent one since it is going to be once for the ROM

    cheers
    Hi quizesilver,

    still not too late, the ROM is on the 10/10/10.

    what is rear mode, anyway? (while i go look it up)

    i was thinking of mounting the flash with a diffuser on the tripod while using the wireless trigger on the 7D. that i think should give me more light.

    not really well verse with flash photography yet, but i have looked thru some websites and a magazine "Digital SLR Photography: Portraits".

    if you have some tips for me, please do provide.
    there's still time.

  20. #20
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Will crop with 50mm do it for Singapore Flyer?

    rear sync, i.e. the flash fires at the end of the exposure, allowing you to expose correctly for the low light scene. Note that you may need a tripod if shutter speed is too long.

    You better try them out and practise more before the actual date.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •