Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121

Thread: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

  1. #101

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    hmm.. not really a supporter of ANY brand...
    but here goes my reply (with a pun)

    mettalife, if given another choice than a55 I would rather buy a nikon D3100 than your 40D

    P.S new nex e-mount for nikon and pentax lens is out!

    P.P.S nikon's coming out with SLR TOO! OMG! LOL
    Last edited by johndoe2; 29th September 2010 at 10:21 AM.

  2. #102

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    i certainly hope so... i just feel so irritated when i see comments like canon's the best.. cannot accept the fact that sony and other smaller brands are climbing fast.
    Nah, get used to it, otherwise you'll get an ulcer fast. Many people believe what old uncles at the kopi shop say, or the marketing materials from 2-3 years ago. They don't actually do objective research and comparison.
    Alpha

  3. #103

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe2 View Post
    phew!

    scanned the internet, seems that there isnt any battery grip for a33/55
    There is currently no official battery grip for the a33/55 and I really doubt there will ever be one. Like Nikon 3100/5000 or Pentax K-x, the a33/55 aim for the "small and light" market. Having a battery grip on those cameras kinda defeats the purpose.

  4. #104
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    i certainly hope so... i just feel so irritated when i see comments like canon's the best.. cannot accept the fact that sony and other smaller brands are climbing fast.
    Some people just need to justify their choice of brand by defending it to the earth... beats me why

    To me, I think having strong competition will push manufacturers to innovate and offer good products at affordable prices.

    A Sony or Canon (or any other brand, for that matter) DSLR user is not my enemy. He/she is my fellow photographer...
    Exploring! :)

  5. #105

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    A Sony or Canon (or any other brand, for that matter) DSLR user is not my enemy. He/she is my fellow photographer...
    Exactly.
    Alpha

  6. #106

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    yea.. happy shooting fellow photographers!
    Alpha

  7. #107

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    For me, I went to the shops to try many brands like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Olympus etc before I finally came to conclusion that Nikon made me feel best. Different people different feel though.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  8. #108
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Some people just need to justify their choice of brand by defending it to the earth... beats me why

    To me, I think having strong competition will push manufacturers to innovate and offer good products at affordable prices.

    A Sony or Canon (or any other brand, for that matter) DSLR user is not my enemy. He/she is my fellow photographer...
    Yea bro... we are ONE....

    Last edited by daredevil123; 29th September 2010 at 07:28 PM.

  9. #109

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Hi rashkae,

    Thank you for pointing out the latest models in the market. I didn't realise Sony had launched a couple of new models that reviews have shown quite stellar, and I apologise to non Nikon/Camera users for the sweeping statement of opinion.

    However, I would refrain from using terms like 'ill informed nonsense' on a fellow user. It wouldn't reflect well on oneself in terms of internet etiquette- everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which is why I stated, prior to my comments, 'no offence to other users..'

    And back to John Doe:
    Wanted to share with you: In my as well as my bros' experience with Sony cameras, we found the ISO performance really lacking compared to Nikon/ Canon (Again, Personal opinion- no offence to other users). This is also supported by reviews from top sites:

    Top of line Sony flagship A900 -
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A.HTM

    Canon/ Nikon and Olympus 620 -
    http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/high-i...-620,1098.html
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...1i/noise.shtml

    500d and Sony A330 -
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...lpha_DSLR-A330

    Nikon and Sony -
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...80/noise.shtml

    Then again, being busy, I realised the new models from Sony looked pretty impressive. However, my 2 cents advice to u is that the comments provided are tried and tested, while these new models are not yet tried and tested, and it may not be as good as it is marketed, only time will tell.
    But from the price, it looks really good value though.

    And I'd like to thank all other bros who are courteous in their posts- it makes the world a better place, and it reflects the good character and upbringing that you are blessed with.

    My small advice to younger users In forums is to discuss the subject, the pros and the cons, have fun and try to refrain from insulting fellow users.

    God bless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    "all bros" except every review site out there? The NEX-5 and A55 have better high ISO performance than the 550D in the recent reviews. Also, Nikon uses the Sony sensors.

    I suggest that you stop reading the 2-3 year old marketing material and start updating your knowledge before spouting ill-informed nonsense.

    Of course, the truth is:

    You mean only 6.3, compared to 7 and 10? And a 40D that had such notoriously poor autofocus and features compared to the A700 and Nikon D300 that Canon was forced to release the 50D in a hurry?

    Wow, you really have been smoking the Canon marketing material.
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/

  10. #110

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Why are you digging up reviews of obsolete models, like the A330 and A380? And even the D90 is not compared to the A500, which shares the same sensor. Instead it's compared to the older, obsolete A380. As for the A900, it's designed as a low ISO monster for studio/portrait/landscape photography, and that's what it does well, same as the Nikon D3X which uses the same sensor - both do better at low ISO than even the 5D Mark II.

    And why is high ISO performance your only criteria, when Nikon and Sony have better AF performance and durability than a certain other brand? (See the luminous landscape real-world reports from their Antarctica trip - 3 guesses which cameras failed and which kept on working).

    If the question is what DSLR to get *today* then you should use the most current models on the market, rather than only comparing the models that were out at the time of the 40D you are selling.

    So try comparing the high ISO performance of the NEX-5 for example, and you'll realize better noise performance than even the 550D.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 30th September 2010 at 01:14 AM.
    Alpha

  11. #111

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    lol.. compare 500D with a330? a330 should be compared with 1000D. why compare mid range VS entry range? =.=
    Alpha

  12. #112
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Hi rashkae,

    Thank you for pointing out the latest models in the market. I didn't realise Sony had launched a couple of new models that reviews have shown quite stellar, and I apologise to non Nikon/Camera users for the sweeping statement of opinion.

    However, I would refrain from using terms like 'ill informed nonsense' on a fellow user. It wouldn't reflect well on oneself in terms of internet etiquette- everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which is why I stated, prior to my comments, 'no offence to other users..'

    And back to John Doe:
    Wanted to share with you: In my as well as my bros' experience with Sony cameras, we found the ISO performance really lacking compared to Nikon/ Canon (Again, Personal opinion- no offence to other users). This is also supported by reviews from top sites:

    Top of line Sony flagship A900 -
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A.HTM

    Canon/ Nikon and Olympus 620 -
    http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/high-i...-620,1098.html
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...1i/noise.shtml

    500d and Sony A330 -
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...lpha_DSLR-A330

    Nikon and Sony -
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...80/noise.shtml

    Then again, being busy, I realised the new models from Sony looked pretty impressive. However, my 2 cents advice to u is that the comments provided are tried and tested, while these new models are not yet tried and tested, and it may not be as good as it is marketed, only time will tell.
    But from the price, it looks really good value though.

    And I'd like to thank all other bros who are courteous in their posts- it makes the world a better place, and it reflects the good character and upbringing that you are blessed with.

    My small advice to younger users In forums is to discuss the subject, the pros and the cons, have fun and try to refrain from insulting fellow users.

    God bless.
    There are no truths, only perceptions...

    The perception of ISO performance can only be gauged when doing comparisons.

    But how the comparisons are set up will greatly affect the perception of 'performance'.

    Comparing models that are not at the same 'level' will not an accurate perception. Comparing models from different generations will not give an accurate perception as well.

    And I hate to smash your dreams of N C supremacy by telling you this. Nikon and Sony both uses the same sensors in many models.

    D90 and A500 uses the same sensor.

    A500 and A550 is the same generation and level as the 500D.They both perform at least as good (if not better) than the 500D.

    A2xx and A3xx series can only be compared to a 1000D. And they both perform as good (and in many situations) better than a 1000D.

    I don't find "ill-informed nonsense" offensive and neither do I find that it violates any net-etiquette. I think Rashkae is just calling it as it is. I don't agree with Rashkae on many things, but this one I do. From your opinions, I also really believe you are ill-informed. And what you said about C and N owning the world in performance, I also really think it is nonsense. That, sir, is MY opinion of your opinion... And like you said, we are all entitled to form our opinions and share it.

    net-etiquette only refers to foul language and making personal attacks. Forming and stating an opinion on someone's stated opinion is in no way detrimental to net etiquette. Saying you are ill-informed is not a personal attack nor an insult. ill-informed = just means you are not informed well. So no one is hurling insults at you. But if your pride is hurt, I think it is best to lick your hurt ego, go research more and get informed... Everything you put out in the public will get scrutinized. And if something you say is wrong, you can be sure someone will call it. I've been corrected many times myself. Nothing wrong with being wrong. It is how we all learn.

    BTW, I am a Nikon user and I am proud of it. Not because Nikon is the king of the hill... but they make good cameras that make good tools. But that doesn't mean they are the best in everything, and all their models are the best of the best.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th September 2010 at 11:11 AM.

  13. #113
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Hi rashkae,

    Thank you for pointing out the latest models in the market. I didn't realise Sony had launched a couple of new models that reviews have shown quite stellar, and I apologise to non Nikon/Camera users for the sweeping statement of opinion.

    However, I would refrain from using terms like 'ill informed nonsense' on a fellow user. It wouldn't reflect well on oneself in terms of internet etiquette- everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which is why I stated, prior to my comments, 'no offence to other users..'

    And back to John Doe:
    Wanted to share with you: In my as well as my bros' experience with Sony cameras, we found the ISO performance really lacking compared to Nikon/ Canon (Again, Personal opinion- no offence to other users). This is also supported by reviews from top sites:

    Top of line Sony flagship A900 -
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A.HTM

    Canon/ Nikon and Olympus 620 -
    http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/high-i...-620,1098.html
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...1i/noise.shtml

    500d and Sony A330 -
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...lpha_DSLR-A330

    Nikon and Sony -
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...80/noise.shtml

    Then again, being busy, I realised the new models from Sony looked pretty impressive. However, my 2 cents advice to u is that the comments provided are tried and tested, while these new models are not yet tried and tested, and it may not be as good as it is marketed, only time will tell.
    But from the price, it looks really good value though.

    And I'd like to thank all other bros who are courteous in their posts- it makes the world a better place, and it reflects the good character and upbringing that you are blessed with.

    My small advice to younger users In forums is to discuss the subject, the pros and the cons, have fun and try to refrain from insulting fellow users.

    God bless.
    My advice to forumers:
    Don't give "advice" when you have ulterior motive to promote something you are selling. It is not ethical, in my opinion.

    If you are not absolutely certain about something, make it known, instead of passing off myth as fact. This is sharing of information and opinions, not "blind leading the blind"...
    Exploring! :)

  14. #114

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    ......................
    ....................
    ..........
    And back to John Doe:
    Wanted to share with you: In my as well as my bros' experience with Sony cameras, we found the ISO performance really lacking compared to Nikon/ Canon (Again, Personal opinion- no offence to other users). This is also supported by reviews from top sites:

    Top of line Sony flagship A900 -
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A.HTM

    Canon/ Nikon and Olympus 620 -
    http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/high-i...-620,1098.html
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...1i/noise.shtml

    500d and Sony A330 -
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...lpha_DSLR-A330

    Nikon and Sony -
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...80/noise.shtml
    I have to point out that most of your research is flawed.
    Most of the cameras compared to are 'punching bags' which have lower tier pricing based off the exact cameralabs links provided.

    E-620 (4/3 sensor and USD579 camera vs D500 which is a USD669 camera based on the lowest pricing)

    A380 (USD499) vs D90 (USD1146)


    Take a look at A500, A550 to get nearer to the D90 and 500D, 550D.

  15. #115

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I don't agree with Rashkae on many things, but this one I do.
    I love you too!
    Alpha

  16. #116

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I love you too!
    EEeeeek !


    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Sony always come up with funny play and packaging but not practical. This is what they can do to squeeze into the market dominated by Nikon and Canon - to draw attention of somebody who want something different from Nikon and Canon.

    I'm looking at your list and only believe that D7000 is the only camera to go. It's a legend in the making. I think the price difference is worth it and also won't be so significant compared to those Sony cameras. Sony are not cheap though.
    The last time Sony came up with a funny play was when their camera dept was known as Minolta ! ...their 'funny' SLR has a 'funny' Auto-focus feature which was "not practical" !!!

    ...Guess what ? ...every manufacturer copied it ...including Nikon !!!
    Shoot everything ! ...if it moves, shoot it ! if it doesn't moves, shoot it as well !

  17. #117

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Sony always come up with funny play and packaging but not practical. This is what they can do to squeeze into the market dominated by Nikon and Canon - to draw attention of somebody who want something different from Nikon and Canon.

    I'm looking at your list and only believe that D7000 is the only camera to go. It's a legend in the making. I think the price difference is worth it and also won't be so significant compared to those Sony cameras. Sony are not cheap though.
    Ah bro... Sony cameras tend to be CHEAPER with MORE features than C and N.

    and what's the "funny play in packaging but not practical"? With the A100, Sony essentially helped create the budget DSLR space, it was launched before the D40. Then Sony also has in-body IS, there's the fast autofocus in live view with a tilting LCD screen (again, way before Nikon decided that it was a good idea and put an articulating LCD into the D5000). Believe me, that was VERY handy at shooting events and concerts, as well as F1! The navigation system Sony introduced with the A700 (quick menu selection using a joystick) was then copied by C and N as well. All at prices that are CHEAPER than the models you are recommending.

    Se really, I'm not quite sure who's been feeding you information. But sure, get the D7000, you'll still be shooting with Sony.
    Alpha

  18. #118
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I love you too!
    I you too bro..

    If we are all the same, the world will be very boring... and colorless.

  19. #119

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I you too bro..

    If we are all the same, the world will be very boring... and colorless.
    Exactly.
    Alpha

  20. #120
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Exactly.
    But is it me? or recently a lot of more weird colors popping up all over CS?

    Just an observation...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •