Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 121

Thread: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

  1. #81
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    I think if the camera fulfils most of the requirements and the price is right, that's what you should go for. Once you start using it for prolonged periods, then you discover other quirks, and whether or not you can live with them.

    So far haven't found the "perfect" camera
    Exploring! :)

  2. #82
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe2 View Post
    LOL

    I'm not saying sony is the solution for all.
    Neither am I advertising for sony.
    Nor am I a sony fanboy.
    Nor do I think there's a single perfect camera in this world.

    Its just that currently a55 fulfills most of my requirements.
    My previous post did state several quiks that I didnt like about it, if we dig deeper we would probably find even more.
    But at the end of the day, its whether the requirements outweighting the pros and cons.
    e.g buy by end oct, which forces me to look for current available cameras, video modes, etc.

    Yes, personally I would agree having control over the dof for video would be great.
    But I dont think any mum/gf would able to pull it off easily.
    I dont even think I would be able to do a great video in MF like the link i provided, it requires alot of experience to do it.
    Seeing sony giving a new firmware for NEX cameras to give some manual control for video is heartening, but no news regarding a33/55?
    Hopefully they would release the controls too, to make it a better product.

    I think I would go with 18-250 for starters, since I have tried it and it seems to be a good walk around lens for me and the trip, and price discount is great.

    Subsequently when I'm back in SG I can pick up the 50mm 1.8 and if the motor noise is too annoying I can decide later on to pick up the 18-55 SAM or 18-70 SAM if its out or if there are any newer lens with SAM.
    Since both of these lens are relatively cheaper than 18-250. Right?

    P.S does a55 have a battery grip? I might need one for better grip
    Hey dude.. we ain't talking about you. relax.

  3. #83

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    phew!

    scanned the internet, seems that there isnt any battery grip for a33/55

  4. #84
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe2 View Post
    phew!

    scanned the internet, seems that there isnt any battery grip for a33/55
    Hint. A55/33 has a hinge located at the bottom for the LCD display. that the reason I didn't suspect any vg. Size and weight is okay. But the grip, it's just so-so, hands down to NX10 for better handling.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  5. #85

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Here's where the A55 hinge and light weight comes in very handy:

    (from here: http://photoschool.pixnet.net/blog/post/17170401 )
    Alpha

  6. #86

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Here's where the A55 hinge and light weight comes in very handy:

    (from here: http://photoschool.pixnet.net/blog/post/17170401 )
    not that i disagree that a55 is an able camera (as are many other offerings in the market, brand is just an artificial distinction for me)...

    but seriously, being able to camwhore with a camera would be the least of my priorities. i'm sure there are way more compelling reasons than that!

  7. #87

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but seriously, being able to camwhore with a camera would be the least of my priorities. i'm sure there are way more compelling reasons than that!
    To me, I agree. To the hordes of Poly/Uni XMM new DSLR shoppers? Maybe a different story.
    Alpha

  8. #88

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Hiya Johndoe,

    No offence to other users, but get a Canon 500 or 40D, used one if you're on budget, get some good lenses. I suggest 2 if u're on a trip (1 walkabout lens, and another wide angle or fast lens).

    I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.

    Also, won't advise using DSLR for yr videos during yr trip. Take photos with DSLR and get a PnS for video recording- better. (videos burn up battery life fast and heats up quite a bit in DSLR )

    With the above camera setup, u still have another $300- $600 for other accessories which u will definitely need.

    Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body.
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/

  9. #89
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Hiya Johndoe,

    No offence to other users, but get a Canon 500 or 40D, used one if you're on budget, get some good lenses. I suggest 2 if u're on a trip (1 walkabout lens, and another wide angle or fast lens).

    I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.

    Also, won't advise using DSLR for yr videos during yr trip. Take photos with DSLR and get a PnS for video recording- better. (videos burn up battery life fast and heats up quite a bit in DSLR )

    With the above camera setup, u still have another $300- $600 for other accessories which u will definitely need.

    Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body.
    You make this sort of statement, who would be crazy enough to vouch for you...?
    What brainwashing technique did they use on you?
    Exploring! :)

  10. #90
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Hiya Johndoe,

    No offence to other users, but get a Canon 500 or 40D, used one if you're on budget, get some good lenses. I suggest 2 if u're on a trip (1 walkabout lens, and another wide angle or fast lens).

    I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony - all the bros here can vouch.

    Also, won't advise using DSLR for yr videos during yr trip. Take photos with DSLR and get a PnS for video recording- better. (videos burn up battery life fast and heats up quite a bit in DSLR )

    With the above camera setup, u still have another $300- $600 for other accessories which u will definitely need.

    Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body.

    OHHH! that one is I can call merchandizing... but HELOOO!!! what the hell are you talking???...
    come back from Mars and we'll talk about it...
    Last edited by banana0ne; 28th September 2010 at 10:53 PM.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  11. #91
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    OHHH! that one is I can call merchandizing... but HELOOO!!! what the hell are you talking???...
    come back from Mars and we'll talk about it...
    I can't believe the misinformation that people would spread so they can market their own "out-of-date" stuff which they're trying to sell...

    Maybe next time when I sell my DX camera, I'll start telling newbies that FX is lousy, etc etc etc...
    Exploring! :)

  12. #92

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.
    "all bros" except every review site out there? The NEX-5 and A55 have better high ISO performance than the 550D in the recent reviews. Also, Nikon uses the Sony sensors.

    I suggest that you stop reading the 2-3 year old marketing material and start updating your knowledge before spouting ill-informed nonsense.


    Of course, the truth is:

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body.
    You mean only 6.3, compared to 7 and 10? And a 40D that had such notoriously poor autofocus and features compared to the A700 and Nikon D300 that Canon was forced to release the 50D in a hurry?

    Wow, you really have been smoking the Canon marketing material.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 29th September 2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Alpha

  13. #93
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.
    When you mentioned all bros... I don't know which bros you refer to... But then again, I am not your bro. I hardly know you.

    And stop talking nonsense about N and C having the best noise performance.

    And sorry, I wouldn't touch your 40D now that there are so many new stuff on the market. 40D is now officially 2 generations behind now that 60D is already out...

  14. #94
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Just to share this with people who are getting (or already have) the A33 and A55 cameras, and have Sony mount Sigma lenses, or intend to buy any used Sigma lenses.

    Some sigma lenses will have issues when using on A33 or A55 bodies. You need to get the lens(es) into Sigma service center to get the lens re-chipped to solve this issue.

    If your lens is bought grey market you probably have to pay to get it done. And if you lens is a discontinued model, no modification/solution will be available (you're SOOL)

    Read more here.
    http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...nfo_100910.htm

  15. #95
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Hiya Johndoe,

    No offence to other users, but get a Canon 500 or 40D, used one if you're on budget, get some good lenses. I suggest 2 if u're on a trip (1 walkabout lens, and another wide angle or fast lens).

    I suggest not getting Sony but get Canon or Nikon instead? 1 good reason would be noise performance is much better on Canon/ Nikon as compared to Sony- all the bros here can vouch.

    Also, won't advise using DSLR for yr videos during yr trip. Take photos with DSLR and get a PnS for video recording- better. (videos burn up battery life fast and heats up quite a bit in DSLR )

    With the above camera setup, u still have another $300- $600 for other accessories which u will definitely need.

    Another reason is because I'm selling my precious 40D and u seem to the right buyer for it buzz me if u would like to a 6.3 frames per second super fast autofocus camera with magnesium alloy body.
    hv u ever handled a sony dslr before?? or u just assume it is by reading it off DPreview lol
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

  16. #96
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by willdoang View Post
    hv u ever handled a sony dslr before?? or u just assume it is by reading it off DPreview lol
    I already handled a Sony, and I didn't liked it...
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  17. #97

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    I already handled a Sony, and I didn't liked it...
    Hmm? The comment was directed at MettaLife. :P
    Alpha

  18. #98

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    seems like a flame war coming.. why cant we just agree that each brand have their own pros and cons? and no brand is the best.. no doubt canon/nikon is the most popular but that dosn't make them the best..
    Alpha

  19. #99

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    seems like a flame war coming.. why cant we just agree that each brand have their own pros and cons? and no brand is the best.. no doubt canon/nikon is the most popular but that dosn't make them the best..
    Naw, we're all just having fun.
    Alpha

  20. #100

    Default Re: What dslr to buy currently? (Buy by end Oct 2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Naw, we're all just having fun.
    i certainly hope so... i just feel so irritated when i see comments like canon's the best.. cannot accept the fact that sony and other smaller brands are climbing fast.
    Alpha

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •