Thread: Advice needed for upcoming event photography.. Kena arrow by company

Default Advice needed for upcoming event photography.. Kena arrow by company

Hi all,

Ive been asked to help take photos at a company event. Never taken event photos before. The venue is an auditorium with a high ceiling and low lighting.

Quite worried that shots will turn out too underexposed or blurred. I have an sb-600 with stofen diffuser.

Any tips on what settings i should try out to get sharp and decently exposed shots? Will setting flash to max power and attempting to bounce off the ceiling help? Or should i apply direct flash? Need to also capture shots of prize presentation on stage... Dim and backlit some more..

Any advice appreciated.

Default Re: Advice needed for upcoming event photography.. Kena arrow by company

if possible, go there and scout before the event. with a proper flash, any dlsr + kit lens should suffice.

besides, you aren't a professional. even if you screw up, id simply advise you to tell them "you hired me to be a (vocation), not a photographer". maybe in a less offensive tone but you get the general idea =/

btw, if u really wanted help, you'd furnish this thread with more details
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Default Re: Advice needed for upcoming event photography.. Kena arrow by company

The event is taking place nxt wk but its an external location so there is no way i can practice suffiiently in advance. We only went there for 1 recce and i was told abt it only after. So no camera to try. Prob i can only "practice" a couple of hours before it starts when we move in to do the set up. Ive only got my old d70 and the sb600.

My main concern is setting up correctly for shots inside the auditorium. The reception area im not so concerned coz the ceiling is white and its low enough for bouncing flash off it.

There will be prize presentations and speeches to shoot on stage. The stage itself is really big and deep, like those in most pri and sec schools. Stage is backlit coz theres a projecor screen splashed right across where we will be screening the event backdrop at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by HSQ0711 View Post
    The event is taking place nxt wk but its an external location so there is no way i can practice suffiiently in advance. We only went there for 1 recce and i was told abt it only after. So no camera to try. Prob i can only "practice" a couple of hours before it starts when we move in to do the set up. Ive only got my old d70 and the sb600.

My main concern is setting up correctly for shots inside the auditorium. The reception area im not so concerned coz the ceiling is white and its low enough for bouncing flash off it.

There will be prize presentations and speeches to shoot on stage. The stage itself is really big and deep, like those in most pri and sec schools. Stage is backlit coz theres a projecor screen splashed right across where we will be screening the event backdrop at all times.
    you don't have to be perfect in your execution you know? if you already seen the place can roughly gauge whether or not you can do it. and practice before it starts should be more than enough. tried a couple of events myself. sometimes an hour is all you have. this is not to say that im an expert of course.

what you'd want to do when you go in, is find a few spots you can use and note down the settings your chosen "fox holes".

im not sure if you want to capture the screen within your shot so i cannot comment on that. just know that a flash will kill the screen.

hope that helps
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Hmm, not to impress anybody but at the end of the day, at least to have some decent shots for our company publications, annual reports etc. If a lot of shots turn out blur, under or over exposed then cham4 lo. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by magicianhisoka View Post
    you don't have to be perfect in your execution you know? if you already seen the place can roughly gauge whether or not you can do it. and practice before it starts should be more than enough. tried a couple of events myself. sometimes an hour is all you have. this is not to say that im an expert of course.

what you'd want to do when you go in, is find a few spots you can use and note down the settings your chosen "fox holes".

im not sure if you want to capture the screen within your shot so i cannot comment on that. just know that a flash will kill the screen.

hope that helps
    Thx for the advice. By the way, would bounce cards help better in situations where we have high ceiling and low light?

Nxt time i shld ensure that they budget for event photographer! Haiz..

if you are looking for photo taking advice,

rent a Tamron 17-50mm. The 17mm is for the inevitable group shot and the ~50mm will be good for vip-shaking-hands-that-sort-of-thing shots. the 17-50mm has largest aperture of f/2.8 so the SB600 can work as filler flash.

settings wise, i recommend Av mode.

as for what shots to take during the event, refer to the company magazines or other publications and see if you can copy.

also, best to have extra batteries to backup the ones in the camera and flash.
    Last edited by Reportage; 21st September 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I saw a commercial photographer taking pics in a super low light condition with high ceiling using a bounce card. He somehow alter it a bit. I think u should look into bounce card. Quite popular.

maybe you should take MC and ask your company to find someone else??

haha... if you don't wanna stress urself over delivering pictures...

otherwise.. just go with ur current set up use a bounce card.. test shots.. shoot in raw... test shots before the important parts.. ie prize giving...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

To TS, just do whatever you can with your current set up.

forget about using stofen or bounce card if you shooting a large open space, stofen and bounce card only work well in a room with moderate ceiling height,
    bounce card also work in a open space but with subject in a short distance, eg, a small group photo.

try not to go too low shutter speed, 1/30 is the lowest, if your hands steady and subject is not moving.

if there is award presentation, remember to use fresh batteries and CF card and shoot direct flash, you want to able to shoot as fast as possible. ask the recipients to look at camera and smile.

bring extra battery for camera and flash, and also xtra CF cards.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio