Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

  1. #1

    Default Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    As above.

    I read all the disadvantages, but basically will need it just to transfer to a notebook's directory in "real-time". "Real-time", as in any duration below 30s will do, anyway I shoot in full res but Large quality and not fine (so probably about what...4MB per file?)

    Pro X2 got ad-hoc, will just get that. Else putting a router no issue. ie in a HDB flat, I shoot at the door, router plug in to power in the living room, and then notebook accesses router. This helps transmission distances. (I can get the high power routers + antennas, USB adapters + antennas to boost range, no issue I am tech inclined in this and have the experience). Limiting factor would be the Eye Fi card wireless hardware but performance can be boosted with the router.

    Say I get D7000, that has 2 SD slots so I will be writing data to 1 slot, the other slot houses the Eye Fi Pro X2 which transmits wirelessly plus also saves another copy of the images on the card.

    ie Usage is just purely to transfer files to the notebook in "real time" (eg within 30s). Notebook would be Win 7.

    Any practical comments on the system?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    id say...amazon is your best bet. can order with another bro to share the cost but will be good to keep it under 400 SGD to avoid paying gst
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

  3. #3

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Its ok bro.....I guess ebay also can. Not too ex.

    I don't think ad-hoc is a good idea, too short a range. Put a router into the equation (with high-gain antenna) would boost range tremendously indoors. 45ft (most prob significantly lesser even if you avoid big pillars "LOS") is not very confidence inducing.

    If that's the case, I might just go for the entry level first, Connect X2. As POC.
    Last edited by 2100; 21st September 2010 at 01:15 AM.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    AFAIK, all local EyeFi users purchase their cards online.

    you may want to consider this
    Trek's FluCard for wireless transmission of photos

    I ask the a staff from Chanlenger Hougang, was told it is available at Funan.

    Please let us know your feedback about this FluCard if you are getting it.
    Last edited by catchlights; 21st September 2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    I did a small review on the eye-fi Pro card, not the X2. Maybe the X2 got a better File transfer rate. Neverless, if you decided to use it for production, better think twice. And also I think amazon does not do carrier of that card to SG (due to product restriction).

    u can take alook at my review in CS
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625750

  6. #6

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Thanks catchlights. Just a quick glance, seems like the Eye Fi is quite a fair bit better. You can select which ones to upload, that is very good and very important for our usage. OMO is possible now, which already is a b**** to do trying to link NB to projector lah, if cannot then need to reboot, etc etc. Simplifies things and makes it viable to do since clients already don't wanna spend that much usually.

    Peterpan, yes I am intending to use it in a "live" pro environment but of course not that speed critical hence I'd factor in say a worst case scenario of 30s required to transfer. 802.11n and other WiFi stuff is like that, it auto knocks down the xfer rate if the signal is not strong. 1 - 11Mbps is not uncommon in the -80dBm signal region for a normal router but you can get 2X that transfer rate with a high-sensitivity model, esp with a small card like this (ie small transmitter = small power, workable antenna but not optimised SWR and probably it has much negative gain LOL). So if you want it to be faster, you need to get the best router, ie best receiving sensitivity, best selectivity, best antenna system which benefits both transmission + reception. Power has got nothing to do with this if the reception is not up to task, nor does data transmit direction (Eye Fi -> router) - so if you use those Buffalo Nfiniti High-power routers with FCC tested peaks up to 800mW, its no use. As an analogy you get 2 pax and 1 uses a waist-clipped 4xAA battery active speaker and the other with a 100kW high SPL professional line-array, still cannot maintain comms over 200m range.


    TP Link has a highly sensitive model which has a special 256K mode.

    Normal 802.11n stuff (pretty similar for other brands like Linksys, Dlink etc)
    http://www.tp-link.com/products/prod...l=TL%2DWR741ND

    Highly sensitive model which digs 10-15dBm deeper into the noise floor and still maintain connection (check out specs) :
    http://www.tp-link.com/products/prod...el=TL%2DWR542G

    Takes hell long to even transfer a 12MP middle compression 3MB size jpg though. LOL! But it will get through and be displayed on-screen eventually. Think table-table shots not too big a deal as ballrooms though big, don't present too many obstructions which are killers.

    PS. The hand covering the SD card area would take out 20dBm easily, which is a lot. Try covering your hand over the WiFi antenna of an external USB adaptor, drops like crazy. Same for iPhone 4.

    Don't want to spend like 1.2k for WFT from Nikon (anyway no such thing for D7000/D90, so....), I POC first lah...
    Last edited by 2100; 21st September 2010 at 01:49 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Obligatory dpreview review. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/eye-fi/page2.asp

    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...=eye+fi+pro+x2

    Looks not that good, really need the best routers. I have a pretty good one, lets try it.
    I was able to move pictures in a relatively open office, separated only by low cubicle walls at about 40 feet, though there were a few minutes of delay between when the picture was snapped and when the file finished uploading. Still, I was impressed with the range, and the closer the camera and computer were, the faster the files transferred.


    You can try this, best router + antenna upgrade so it will work with 1 wall seperating cam and router, then you have further distance between router and notebook. Upgrade the notebook with ext USB adator with antenna upgrade, or any model with a 5dBi ant. You can also opt to lengthen and add flexibility to the USB adaptor placement with a 5m USB cable. For ultimate applications : You can also opt for those high-gain high power models for router and USB adaptor, so while you still need to place the router near to the cam, the router - USB distance can be much farther. Use Yagi directional antennas on both router and USB adaptor......if it works out ok, just that range is the limiting factor
    Last edited by 2100; 21st September 2010 at 02:03 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    you seem knowledgeable on the power transmission. But really, for a card like that does it really worth the effort in pumping up the router, antenna, etc ... ? so u try eye-fi card lao?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    you seem knowledgeable on the power transmission. But really, for a card like that does it really worth the effort in pumping up the router, antenna, etc ... ? so u try eye-fi card lao?
    Sorta, coz the next working solution as in Nikon WFT is like 1.3k and cannot be used in multiple cams and adds additional bulk to the shooter? (I carry up to 3 bodies in one go sometimes). A good single antenna router and additional antenna upgrade is like $100...I don't know perhaps don't need to mod just get a cheap TP Link with 5dBi antenna for ard $60 will do. A good high power USB with 5dBi ant like TP-Link TL-WN7200 is like $50. Less than $120-150 total easily. Eye Fi Connect X2 is just under S$100 shipped.

    Of coz the weak link is the Eye Fi card, but can't be helped due to the design. In order to make it work, earn $$, its not only the hardware, but also the implementation on actual grounds which varies from houses and ballroom locations, ie the person setting it up. You gotta bring your notebook as well. Whole setup is another thing to take care of (lest get stolen), to carry as extra esp if you do not drive. Still not caught up here with PGs and VGs (they face another set of problems), very tricky and costly to set it right. How much do you charge to make it worthwhile, too much and they don't take.

    If want even more flexbility in locating the router, buy a sealed maintainence free batt to power. 5AH provides hours of juice in the home or ballroom. 12V can be stepped down with those car socket adapters. The batts come in 6V and 12V but only Linksys is 12V. Not expensive neither.
    Last edited by 2100; 22nd September 2010 at 01:04 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Your illustration seem workable and the overall setup is consider cheap. But frankly, buying router and tweaking the antenna, getting the power source, setting up the laptop seem alot of work esp when you going to run "live" production here. why not got for just a mobile hotspot devices such as huawei E583C etc. Eye-Fi able to connect to the hotspot and interface back to ur laptop. At least you can save buying a router and power source since the mobile hotspot router running on battery too. Anyway its just a suggestion.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    That's a good idea also. But then how to project as a slideshow (my main need).

  12. #12

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Very simple. You still need a laptop too. How it work is that mobile hotspot will be broadcasting connection out just like normal router. Ur laptop and eye-fi connect to the same wireless ID. At that setup, eye-fi able to pass the photo to your laptop and u still able to project it out. I'm using that function of course with a Jailbreak Iphone ack as a hotspot and interface it with my mac or an ipad that soon to come :P

  13. #13

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    I see, we can upload the pix to online galleries no issue - this part I understand.

    My bad, I think I have not mentioned the term "Live preview to guests" projected on the screen via LCD proj or also on notebook LCD screen (same thing technically I guess), while I am shooting.

    That's the main hurdle. So general Question again, you know of any photo s/w (of coz the usual Windows Fax/Pic Viewer can display slideshow via F11 key) that can display the lastest shot image automatically. ie, you have 10 images in the folder and it is displaying the 10th pix. You shot 1 new pix and uploaded to notebook bringing it to 11, after a few seconds the View displays the 11th image automatically.

    More difficult Question, any viewing s/w that can display the last 3, 5 or whatever images that you have shot, in a slideshow loop?

    As a start I think I'll just bring my current Buffalo G300HN router and netbook + Buffalo 150N high-power USB adapter to the regular spots that I think will be using to site survey first. It looks good in my home, but wanna try all sorts of apartments/condo/landed/ballrooms. I have ample experience with 2WIRE in condos/landed (PC/notebook built in Intel chip <-> router), that's a can of worms!
    Last edited by 2100; 22nd September 2010 at 09:18 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    hmm .. i think i can't answer your question regarding on the software cos i yet to use that function. Maybe you can pop another post in CS see if any bros or sis can hlp

  15. #15
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    I see, we can upload the pix to online galleries no issue - this part I understand.

    My bad, I think I have not mentioned the term "Live preview to guests" projected on the screen via LCD proj or also on notebook LCD screen (same thing technically I guess), while I am shooting.

    That's the main hurdle. So general Question again, you know of any photo s/w (of coz the usual Windows Fax/Pic Viewer can display slideshow via F11 key) that can display the lastest shot image automatically. ie, you have 10 images in the folder and it is displaying the 10th pix. You shot 1 new pix and uploaded to notebook bringing it to 11, after a few seconds the View displays the 11th image automatically.

    More difficult Question, any viewing s/w that can display the last 3, 5 or whatever images that you have shot, in a slideshow loop?

    As a start I think I'll just bring my current Buffalo G300HN router and netbook + Buffalo 150N high-power USB adapter to the regular spots that I think will be using to site survey first. It looks good in my home, but wanna try all sorts of apartments/condo/landed/ballrooms. I have ample experience with 2WIRE in condos/landed (PC/notebook built in Intel chip <-> router), that's a can of worms!
    another thread talk about this but no conclusive answer.

    appropriate software which can continuous update the images
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762212
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    I see, thanks. Seems like this issue also bugging photographers with no easy solution.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    I tried out the Eye Fi X2 Pro 802.11n. Ad-hoc connection is really very weak. Cannot really pass through even 1 wall to my notebook built in Intel 6200. Pathetic! Line of Sight, 6m is ok, beyond that it gets sketchy also (ie from one part of the living room to the other). I mean the transfer can get through, but you'll wait for it. Else if its very near LOS, it can transfer a 12MP 4MB file within 5 seconds from snap to ending up in the folder (everything inclusive, the progress bar indicating actual file transfer actually takes about 3 seconds only). Its real fast.

    Through a router its a bit better, just very barely cuts through 1 wall. (transmission speed is quite slow - takes about 30 seconds).

    Still could not find a software to display the most recently taken file automatically. There are slideshows which can loop from start to finish, but I don't think it'd be useful for weddings instant previews.
    The only solution i can think of is like livestudios.sg style, with assistants in real-time managing the slideshow (ie deleting the older pix). Else imagine you take 80 pix and each look you view back the most recent one, very sian. So this means additional costs - justifiable if you are doing Live Prints.

    Definitely not recommended for professional usage. (which ballroom is like 10m length max? )
    Last edited by 2100; 8th October 2010 at 06:36 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    I tried out the Eye Fi X2 Pro 802.11n. Ad-hoc connection is really very weak. Cannot really pass through even 1 wall to my notebook built in Intel 6200. Pathetic! Line of Sight, 6m is ok, beyond that it gets sketchy also (ie from one part of the living room to the other). I mean the transfer can get through, but you'll wait for it. Else if its very near LOS, it can transfer a 12MP 4MB file within 5 seconds from snap to ending up in the folder (everything inclusive, the progress bar indicating actual file transfer actually takes about 3 seconds only). Its real fast.

    Through a router its a bit better, just very barely cuts through 1 wall. (transmission speed is quite slow - takes about 30 seconds).

    Still could not find a software to display the most recently taken file automatically. There are slideshows which can loop from start to finish, but I don't think it'd be useful for weddings instant previews.
    The only solution i can think of is like livestudios.sg style, with assistants in real-time managing the slideshow (ie deleting the older pix). Else imagine you take 80 pix and each look you view back the most recent one, very sian. So this means additional costs - justifiable if you are doing Live Prints.

    Definitely not recommended for professional usage. (which ballroom is like 10m length max? )
    Err.... have you try with ipad or iphone ?
    Canon 60D| EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 24-105 IS | 580EX II

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?


  20. #20

    Default Re: Where to get Eye Fi in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    I see, we can upload the pix to online galleries no issue - this part I understand.

    My bad, I think I have not mentioned the term "Live preview to guests" projected on the screen via LCD proj or also on notebook LCD screen (same thing technically I guess), while I am shooting.

    That's the main hurdle. So general Question again, you know of any photo s/w (of coz the usual Windows Fax/Pic Viewer can display slideshow via F11 key) that can display the lastest shot image automatically. ie, you have 10 images in the folder and it is displaying the 10th pix. You shot 1 new pix and uploaded to notebook bringing it to 11, after a few seconds the View displays the 11th image automatically.

    More difficult Question, any viewing s/w that can display the last 3, 5 or whatever images that you have shot, in a slideshow loop?

    As a start I think I'll just bring my current Buffalo G300HN router and netbook + Buffalo 150N high-power USB adapter to the regular spots that I think will be using to site survey first. It looks good in my home, but wanna try all sorts of apartments/condo/landed/ballrooms. I have ample experience with 2WIRE in condos/landed (PC/notebook built in Intel chip <-> router), that's a can of worms!
    Check out www.faststone.org for free software, for auto updating slideshow from eye-fi folder as it's uploaded. For PC.
    For Mac NOT FREE go to http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/c...lkPTE5Mw_.html
    Hope this is what you are looking for and works for you.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by slow trekker; 9th November 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •