Thread: yashica electro 35

Default yashica electro 35

bros - i received yesterday a yashica electro 35 which belonged to my late father. It is in poor condition, but i would like to restore it completely. Any comments to help me understand what i am getting into, and some places i can restore them in Singapore would help.

Info on how much a full resto will cost (ranges are helpful) and lenses. It came with a bunch of Cokin filters and some cannon lenses...

Understand they are cheap to buy online from time to time, but sentimental value ... so i want to restore it.

Default Re: yashica electro 35

Hi try P&G photographic centre at the Adelphi, look for David. Hes a very polite man and has very good workmanship for his repairs. You can get a free consultation from him. UPS for P&G. highly recommended.

I did own a Yashica Electro 35 once..... lovely camera too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gargle View Post
    bros - i received yesterday a yashica electro 35 which belonged to my late father. It is in poor condition, but i would like to restore it completely. Any comments to help me understand what i am getting into, and some places i can restore them in Singapore would help.

Info on how much a full resto will cost (ranges are helpful) and lenses. It came with a bunch of Cokin filters and some cannon lenses...

Understand they are cheap to buy online from time to time, but sentimental value ... so i want to restore it.
    i'll give u a rough quote that i got. pad of death+ general servicing is abt 150. i sold mine off instead

thanks very much to all of you! I'll head to P&G this week.
    Is there anyone on the forum who owns or has owned this camera? Hi Pandukades - you used to have one? Can i buy you a coffee one of these days?

Blog Entries

condolences on the passing of your loved one

The Electro 35 is a wonderful little rangefinder from the 70s with a sweet 35mm f1.8 lens and also one of the best/brightest viewfinders I have seen on a Jap rf from that era (also one of the very RARE Jap rf's that has Aperture Pirority ) ..... yes repair is in that $150+ ballpark area ..... it uses film and if i remember the one i had years ago, really good to use

More info on your 35 can be found inside here

http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm
    ..... just search around

Keep it to remind yourself of your father........... its not a rare collectible ....... just a cam with a very good reputation during its time

Prayers for your family and may u have the cam fully restored
    Last edited by ed9119; 21st September 2010 at 05:37 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

thanks very much to all of you! I'll head to P&G this week.
    Is there anyone on the forum who owns or has owned this camera? Hi Pandukades - you used to have one? Can i buy you a coffee one of these days?
    I own one. Just sent it to David at P&G. Mine had a cracked viewfinder glass and fog inside the viewfinder. Waiting for it to come back. I know his workmanship is good because the CS'er who sold me his GSN owns a GTN, who got his camera fully restored by David a few months back. David quoted me 85 dollars, at the same time he will give the camera a full cleaning. So his quotations are pretty reasonable compared to the other camera shops i've visited. One shop inside Penin quoted me $120, luckily the CS'er recommended me P&G, if not i would have spent another 35 bucks extra haha

did he show you another Electro 35 he has there? i asked him to repair mine, which is in pretty bad shape. but it's a nice camera, 45mm f1.7 with many electronic functions for it's era.
    5D Mark II| 7D| EF50f1.4 | EF85f1.8| 16-35L| 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 150 f2.8 Macro

Sorry forget to add. the $85 he quoted me was inclusive of a UV filter and lens cap i bought from him! So its even cheaper for just a repair

Hi Andrew, Ed and Jimmy - thanks for the wishes and comments. The camera quest article was very informative, and the price guides are helpful too. I am sure David will be happy to talk through what needs to be done, and that in itself will be a joy for me - i.e. to learn more about this precious camera.

I'll be heading down today to see David - very excited!

I still use my Electro 35 bought in the mid 1970s.

Try this link for more dedicated info on it.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/

Blog Entries

TS, my condolences.

Get it fixed TS, it is worth more than its weight in gold in memory of your dearly departed.

Hi Andrew, Ed and Jimmy - thanks for the wishes and comments. The camera quest article was very informative, and the price guides are helpful too. I am sure David will be happy to talk through what needs to be done, and that in itself will be a joy for me - i.e. to learn more about this precious camera.

I'll be heading down today to see David - very excited!
    i think i saw a Electro 35 at David's place. not sure if it's yours. still in pretty good condition. but the lens.....
    5D Mark II| 7D| EF50f1.4 | EF85f1.8| 16-35L| 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 150 f2.8 Macro

yep thats probably the one - badly fungus lens, viewfinder and internals. its been untouched for so many years, and i did not even know it existed until recently.

David quoted $220 for a full recon job including electronic circuit replacement. He will try and if cannot succeed, then he will refund me the deposit, which i think is very nice of him.

i had a bunch of old canon MF lenses which he promptly declared pretty low end and thus not worth restoring/saving, same goes for the yashica flash and another flash that was in the stash that my family gave to me.... other flash i can't really recall the name.

I guess I can't really blame David as he probably doesn't want to get my hopes up. I would have been happy to clean up the lenses and the flash if it can be saved. Maybe when i pick the camera up from him, i will ask him. Must forge ahead!

Thanks for the replies and encouragement bros! And that yashica guy link is great!!

i can't figure out why the unrelated canon lenses are with the yashica... was there a canon lying around somewhere? So many questions but where to find the answers? Anyway this weekend i will try to clean out the manual lenses (at least the externals) and do some research about them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewseow View Post
    Hi try P&G photographic centre at the Adelphi, look for David. Hes a very polite man and has very good workmanship for his repairs. You can get a free consultation from him. UPS for P&G. highly recommended.
    i had mine CLA'ed there too... around sgd170 if i remember correctly... did a few rolls and haven't find a prob...

Wow is $170 normal for CLA? Can share the condition of your Yashica? Cos I just bought one from a seller and wants to bring it for a professional to check and clean the viewfinder cos it's very dull and I can't seem to see the focus properly. Other than that fires well to me and lens look fine. Not sure about the POD how worn is it.

bros - i just collected the yashica from David. It looks fantastic. He also had the batteries, wrist strap, lens cap etc. All in all, $240. He has agreed to look at recon for the lens pack that came with it and the flash (since its all original) and i will happily use it while my wife can use our other cameras.

My camera was in very bad shape comparatively to what i have seen. David has replaced everything to stuff that won't deteriorate so quickly and the lens and viewfinder are clear. I will test it out today, i hope!

Vanilamint: If it is something you want to recondition, my take is just go for it. At 100 - 200 bucks, it may very well be a nifty camera, looks great, wonderful lens by all accounts and considering how much we are prepared to spend for f/f, its a steal, don't you think?!

For me there are special reasons, so i can't put a price on it. I am very happy that i will be able to pass this on to the next generation.

Blog Entries

bros - i just collected the yashica from David. It looks fantastic. He also had the batteries, wrist strap, lens cap etc. All in all, $240. He has agreed to look at recon for the lens pack that came with it and the flash (since its all original) and i will happily use it while my wife can use our other cameras.

My camera was in very bad shape comparatively to what i have seen. David has replaced everything to stuff that won't deteriorate so quickly and the lens and viewfinder are clear. I will test it out today, i hope!

Vanilamint: If it is something you want to recondition, my take is just go for it. At 100 - 200 bucks, it may very well be a nifty camera, looks great, wonderful lens by all accounts and considering how much we are prepared to spend for f/f, its a steal, don't you think?!

For me there are special reasons, so i can't put a price on it. I am very happy that i will be able to pass this on to the next generation.
    TS, happy to hear that that dear piece of equipment is now back to life.

found the adaptor that was at the bottom of the box. now i know why the canon lenses are there. they come in a set - wide andle and tele in a leather case. the flash that came with the camera and lenses will be sent to David for some TLC.

Took the first few shots this morning - what a glorious sunny day!