Thread: Focus point for portrait ?

Default Focus point for portrait ?

Hi all sifu, got a quesion here.

when using the Av mode for taking a portrait for two person and there is a gap between them, where should i place my focus point in order to get focus on two subject ?

or i should just focus to one of them ?

thanks for advice..
    Last edited by ksl279; 20th September 2010 at 01:31 PM.

Default Re: Focus point for portrait ?

Depends on the shot... If both are supposed to be in focus, you need to make sure you use an aperture that gives you enough depth of field to have both in focus. If it's a close-up of both faces, both their eyes should be in focus, unless you're going for a diagonal shot effect where only one is in focus.

This all boils down to your own creativity and what kind of shot you want to achieve, really.
    Alpha

thanks for advise.

it's a wedding event actually. let's say i'm using f9 for aperature, the thing i need to know is, should i place the focus point on either one subject or ? in order i want to get both subject in focus....

Quote Originally Posted by ksl279 View Post
    thanks for advise.

it's a wedding event actually. let's say i'm using f9 for aperature, the thing i need to know is, should i place the focus point on either one subject or ? in order i want to get both subject in focus....
    Either one will do...

varied your photos will be good . . . some of them both clear, then 1 of them blur . . .

try different angles and shoot more . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Blog Entries

depends on which f-stop you are usingon what focal length lens ..............and study the dof tables

as a personal habit (not good or bad just personal) I usually shoot at f5.0 or higher and lock focus on the person who is farther away (if 2 persons) or someone in the middle of the group
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

thanks for advise.

At f/9, your DOF is very deep. So you can focus on either subject. you could even try f/5.6, but then the focal length comes into play.
    Alpha

thanks for the input.

one more thing, currently i'm only having a kit lens (18-105) and a prime 50mm which is good for low lite. which recomendation to use from all sifu ?

for info, flash gun also avail for the event.

i am not sifu . . .

but i think you should be using 18-105 for most of the shots. i don't think you want to move yourself forward and backward by using the 50mm.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

thanks for the input.

one more thing, currently i'm only having a kit lens (18-105) and a prime 50mm which is good for low lite. which recomendation to use from all sifu ?

for info, flash gun also avail for the event.
    What good is the 50mm if you're shooting at f/9? How far do you think you'll need to stand away with your 1.6x multiplier to get a group shot, and do you think you will have that space?

Are you *sure* you really should be shooting pictures at this wedding event before you have a basic understanding of photography and an understanding of your gear?
    Alpha

when using the Av mode for taking a portrait for two person and there is a gap between them, where should i place my focus point in order to get focus on two subject ?
    As long as you don't focus on the gap between them ..
    Most cameras today come with more than one focus point. Depending on the overall situation you could try using the Auto-AF mode. If the subjects cover the center of the viewfinder the camera stands good chances to pick up the focus accurately. Canon cameras also have the A-DEP mode, more details on your manual
    I do hope you are just snapping casually for your own records. You need to know a lot more before you could handle an official assignment. Gear questions must be solved and answered long before so that you can focus on the actual scene and the creative part.
    EOS

are you shooting as a main photographer for a fren or just shooting to capture the scenes at the wedding??

makes alot of difference what kinda photos you are supposed to deliver at the end of the day...

and if you're not sure, just use the 18-105... best not to fumble during the event...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    are you shooting as a main photographer for a fren or just shooting to capture the scenes at the wedding??

makes alot of difference what kinda photos you are supposed to deliver at the end of the day...

and if you're not sure, just use the 18-105... best not to fumble during the event...
    it just for own record snapshot for friend, there will be another main photgrapher for it... i will bemor on candid shot...

if there is no group (>3) photos involved.. just
    walkabout candid shoot.. I will suggest u use 50mm
    and use your flash as a fill flash?

my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFields View Post
    if there is no group (>3) photos involved.. just
    walkabout candid shoot.. I will suggest u use 50mm
    and use your flash as a fill flash?

my 2 cents..
    Since you don't know about space limitations or framing, I would NOT bring the 50mm.
    Alpha

it just for own record snapshot for friend, there will be another main photgrapher for it... i will bemor on candid shot...
    okie la, since you're not the photg.. then don't stress... just take it as anyhow snapshot around... you can use the 50mm and then carry another PnS... you don't need quality pics right? just for show around how the event went and some casual shooting...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams