Thread: Newbie: To get Nikon D3000 or D90?

Default Newbie: To get Nikon D3000 or D90?

D3000 is cheaper but i heard D3000 got some AF issue with lens????

student here. Any advise?

Is it better to get at a roadshow. Any coming up?

Default Re: Newbie: To get Nikon D3000 or D90?

Quote Originally Posted by layers View Post
    D3000 is cheaper but i heard D3000 got some AF issue with lens????

student here. Any advise?

Is it better to get at a roadshow. Any coming up?
    You should do more research before getting a camera, see what you need before you get one, D3000 and D90 are two cameras on different levels. The issue u say is that the D3000 doesn't have an AF motor, meaning some of your cheaper lenses can't auto focus on it.

Also, don't buy from roadshows, they are usually RRP, get from the recommended shops in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    You should do more research before getting a camera, see what you need before you get one, D3000 and D90 are two cameras on different levels. The issue u say is that the D3000 doesn't have an AF motor, meaning some of your cheaper lenses can't auto focus on it.

Also, don't buy from roadshows, they are usually RRP, get from the recommended shops in this forum.
    Sry but wat shld I look for? I do do research but i do not know wat to look out for. Basically just reading the con and advantages

Advise plz. Thanks.

the consent for me properly is the cost cos i dunno how Tuo Ru i will get into it ma. But alott of article i read seem to recommend D90.

Sry but wat shld I look for? I do do research but i do not know wat to look out for. Basically just reading the con and advantages

Advise plz. Thanks.

the consent for me properly is the cost cos i dunno how Tuo Ru i will get into it ma. But alott of article i read seem to recommend D90.
    You have to see what area in photography you are interested in and see if the camera will limit you in anyway eg. frames per second, ISO range. The D90 is recommended simply because its a better camera than the D3000, that's why it costs more too
    Last edited by spree86; 20th September 2010 at 01:32 AM.

get D90 is recommended

You have to see what area in photography you are interested in and see if the camera will limit you in anyway eg. frames per second, ISO range. The D90 is recommended simply because its a better camera than then D3000, that's why it costs more too
    Ok ISO i understand but how does frame/sec work?

I have no idea wat i am into yet. New ma. Most probably on nature, landscape, ppl, animals??

this is bad ~_~

u mention lens got AF? but i thought most DSLR got AF, so there is 2 AF at use? better?

If you have the budget to afford the D90, then get it. If not get the D5000. Avoid the D3000.
    A580| A300|18-55|55-200|18-250|50F1.8|30F2.8 Macro|35 F1.8|

Ok ISO i understand but how does frame/sec work?

I have no idea wat i am into yet. New ma. Most probably on nature, landscape, ppl, animals??

this is bad ~_~

u mention lens got AF? but i thought most DSLR got AF, so there is 2 AF at use? better?
    Frames per second means how fast the camera is and how many shots it can capture in a second. the more the fps the faster the camera.

Some of the nikon lenses are not equipped with a motor in them, in this case, you would need a camera with an AF motor to drive the autofocus mechanism. The D3000 (as well as D5000) does not have one, so for some lenses you will have to do manual focusing when mounted on the camera
    Last edited by spree86; 20th September 2010 at 01:45 AM.

Frames per second means how fast the camera is and how many shots it can capture in a second. the more the fps the faster the camera.

Some of the nikon lenses are not equipped with a motor in them, in this case, you would need a camera with an AF motor to drive the autofocus mechanism. The D3000 (as well as D5000) does not have one, so for some lenses you will have to do manual focusing when mounted on the camera
    so higher FPS, finer image??

Isnt D3000/D5000 more of a disadvantage w/o a AF motor??

so higher FPS, finer image??

Isnt D3000/D5000 more of a disadvantage w/o a AF motor??
    Higher fps means you can take pictures faster, comes in handy when you are photographing something like sports, nothing to do with finer images.

Well yes they are at a disadvantage, that's why they are priced lower too and are at the lower end in the range of Nikon DSLRs. It ok as long as you don't use the lenses or you are fine with manual focusing. They still take fantastic images afterall.
    Last edited by spree86; 20th September 2010 at 02:09 AM.

suggest you read this http://mansurovs.com/dslr-purchase-guide

read the followings too
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/

do extensive research online 1st or use the search function above to read up on CS on your queries. end of the day, you'll be handling that cam. honestly,no one can advise you the optimal answer. hope this helps
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

Higher fps means you can take pictures faster, comes in handy when you are photographing something like sports, nothing to do with finer images.

Well yes they are at a disadvantage, that's why they are priced lower too and are at the lower end in the range of Nikon DSLRs. It ok as long as you don't use the lenses or you are fine with manual focusing. They still take fantastic images afterall.
    OIC thanks for explaining

Wat is the Diff btw AF and MF. MF give u more control? SInce AF is auto?

wat do u mean i dun use the lens? tot no lens cant take photo???

D3000 seem a bad choice now

OIC thanks for explaining

Wat is the Diff btw AF and MF. MF give u more control? SInce AF is auto?

wat do u mean i dun use the lens? tot no lens cant take photo???

D3000 seem a bad choice now
    MF means you have to do the focusing yourself, AF, the camera does it for you. What i mean is don't use the lenses without the motor built in and get the lenses which have the motor.

D3000 is not necessarily a bad choice, if a camera fits your needs, it a good choice, if not, then its bad choice. That's how it is. I suggest you go to a store to test and hold the cameras, sometimes how the camera fits into your hand will also affect your choices.

MF means you have to do the focusing yourself, AF, the camera does it for you. What i mean is don't use the lenses without the motor built in and get the lenses which have the motor.

D3000 is not necessarily a bad choice, if a camera fits your needs, it a good choice, if not, then its bad choice. That's how it is. I suggest you go to a store to test and hold the cameras, sometimes how the camera fits into your hand will also affect your choices.
    sry i dunno how the focusing work during MF

OIC. hmmmmm i understand now abt wat u mean abt the lens.

also abt tripod, i thk its amust to get good pic? what shld i look out for when getting 1? heard go good and bad tripods?

sry i dunno how the focusing work during MF

OIC. hmmmmm i understand now abt wat u mean abt the lens.

also abt tripod, i thk its amust to get good pic? what shld i look out for when getting 1? heard go good and bad tripods?
    In MF, you turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus your image.
    A tripod is one of the things you should buy among many others, its necessary for long exposure and certain night shots, the one that come free are usually pretty flimsy. You will get the hang of this these things pretty soon. I suggest you focus on getting your camera first before considering other things and also, hang around this forum and read the existing threads, you can learn a lot, use the search function if you want to know more about certain topics

In MF, you turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus your image.
    A tripod is one of the things you should buy among many others, its necessary for long exposure and certain night shots, the one that come free are usually pretty flimsy. You will get the hang of this these things pretty soon. I suggest you focus on getting your camera first before considering other things and also, hang around this forum and read the existing threads, you can learn a lot, use the search function if you want to know more about certain topics
    K thanks

I read abt something call shutter remote? watz that?

K thanks

I read abt something call shutter remote? watz that?
    Well, as its name suggests, its a remote control for your camera, you can trigger the shutter without pressing the shutter actuation button on the camera.

Blog Entries

As a student myself i find shooting within budget is most impt. You can always upgrade. I find using a very basic camera or MF is fine. I feel that there is more to learn from basics by using MF or a cheapo camera. I think all camera are good, just what you use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    As a student myself i find shooting within budget is most impt. You can always upgrade. I find using a very basic camera or MF is fine. I feel that there is more to learn from basics by using MF or a cheapo camera. I think all camera are good, just what you use it for.
    which did u buy then?