Thread: What do you do with your Pictures?

Default What do you do with your Pictures?

Hello guys. Was wondering what do you do with your pictures after a long day of photography.

It has been a week since my 550D and i have already taken over 3k pictures! Dont really know whether I should delete some of them or not. Cause its like wasted and maybe some day when i look back, i might think to myself that i should not have deleted those pics.

What do you guys do?

Default Re: What do you do with your Pictures?

You can store them on a 1TB HDD.

the more brutally you discard your images, the better you will be.
    beside, if you don't, one day you will be buried by all your photos,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

store only the keepers

Assuming thread starter is computer savvy, thread starter may install free photo management software and start cataloging the images captured. Without cataloging and providing background information, one will start to forget the significance or purpose of the image taken.

For a more savvy user, the cataloging will embed the followings into the RAW or JPEG or TIFF file:
    • Title of the shoot
    • Longer description of the shoot
    • Location of the shoot taken (including geo-tagging where possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Assuming thread starter is computer savvy, thread starter may install free photo management software and start cataloging the images captured. Without cataloging and providing background information, one will start to forget the significance or purpose of the image taken.

For a more savvy user, the cataloging will embed the followings into the RAW or JPEG or TIFF file:
    • Title of the shoot
    • Longer description of the shoot
    • Location of the shoot taken (including geo-tagging where possible)
    Ah.. a photo management software.. i see.. shall go download one now

I'd first sort through all the photos, and discard all those that are not that good.

For my catalog style, normally I will just use folders; something like "September 19 - Marina Bay - Kites". Just the old Windows Explorer will do if you don't have a photo management system.

Then I'd backup all the photos and folder structure I want to keep into an external harddisk or DVDs. Storage is cheap nowadays.

Oh...just realized....you are using a Canon 550D.

You should have the software Canon Digital Photo Professional. That is a photo management software....

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the more brutally you discard your images, the better you will be.
    beside, if you don't, one day you will be buried by all your photos,
    especially if u shot in raw.

that reminds me to do some housekeeping.

oh.. thanks for the inputs guys.. i downloaded Picasa.. seems to be great.. but doesnt sort by months.. gonna try the Canon Photo Manager that came with the 550D now..

Normally I will discard the sub-standard ones and keep the good ones as albums. Sometime will also use them to practise Photo editing and try out different function offered by the Photo editing software.
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Keep tons of pics can be a headache.... nowadays i try to keep only the more decent ones... the thing is.. all these pics.. some u might not even touch it. but some of us dont bear to del it.. haha i'm like this too.. but i try to del as much as possible since the file size is also pretty big for new cameras nowadays..

I delete those blur , under exp or over exp. Create one side folder to keep that day photos so I can look back when I need it......

Apart from the decent ones, I kept some bad ones to remind myself of the mistakes. Thing is, after some time, I couldn't remember exactly as to why I kept it, so it eventually goes into the bin.

Blog Entries

read the 2nd line of my signature to be a better photog
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    read the 2nd line of my signature to be a better photog
    Very true! Nothing more annoying than an album of 200 photos when 20 or even 2 would be much better and would have more impact

I would usually choose about 10 best shot from a total of 50. Like what ed9119 do. Keep 1% and the rest throw away. This way it save your disk space it also allows u to go on and shoot better photos.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

usually will roughly sieve through the pile of images for the first round.. After that, when
    doing some light pp-ing, will discard those which i don't feel good about along the way..

Quote Originally Posted by beebeeice View Post
    Hello guys. Was wondering what do you do with your pictures after a long day of photography.

It has been a week since my 550D and i have already taken over 3k pictures! Dont really know whether I should delete some of them or not. Cause its like wasted and maybe some day when i look back, i might think to myself that i should not have deleted those pics.

What do you guys do?
    first, you must differentiate photos you take for memory and photos you take for the act of photography, i.e. to capture something you wish to convey, a mood, a scene.

those for memory you choose to keep, based on how important they are to you. lousy, out of focus, etc, doesn't matter. usually i will resize the less important ones for storage space issues... at least can print 4r next time when you want to look back. the better ones can keep at max res.

for photography, if it's bad, it's bad. i think about why, then i delete. usually i do that on the way home, since i travel quite far to shoot sunset, etc...

if it's good, then keep. if it's worth reworking next time (i.e. more than just good) i keep the raw file as well.

this is just my way of doing it... 3 years on, i only have about 10gb of photos (all inclusive).