Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Discolor using CPL

  1. #1
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Discolor using CPL

    Hi guys... when I uses CPL to take photos through the windows or to take photo of cars, I noticed some discolor on the glass portion...



    Note the windscreen section got some greenish light... Is my CPL problem or am I suppose not to use CPL when taking photo with cars etc?

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Windscreen glass is not really clear glass, there are anti-reflection coatings and other add-ons. The tint is the result of the light reflected by the windscreen and the CPL filtering.
    EOS

  3. #3
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Thanks for the info... :-D

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Thanks for the info... :-D
    CPL will cause funky colors on LCD screens and processed (or tinted) glass...

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    CPL will cause funky colors on LCD screens and processed (or tinted) glass...
    You can even turn LDC black, since it also works with polarization
    EOS

  6. #6
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You can even turn LDC black, since it also works with polarization
    Erm... what is a LDC?

  7. #7
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Erm... what is a LDC?
    lcd he meant. typo

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Erm... what is a LDC?
    LDC means look to the left...

    Look Doh Chiu...

  9. #9
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Haha!

    I know it can turn LCD screen totally black as I have tried it before... haha! Guess I cannot use CPL when taking shots of cars or through bus windows etc... Guess it only affect those black tinted wan bah... If not wrong those clear clear wan should be ok....

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    If not wrong those clear clear wan should be ok....
    The "clear ones" (I hope my guess is right) only appear clear, but they are not. Have you used any polarizing sunglasses and looked at cars in the sun? If not, do it and you will notice some patterns that look like oil stains on water, but with a regular pattern. These patterns are caused by the manufacturing process. They will become visible the moment you use your CPL.
    EOS

  11. #11
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The "clear ones" (I hope my guess is right) only appear clear, but they are not. Have you used any polarizing sunglasses and looked at cars in the sun? If not, do it and you will notice some patterns that look like oil stains on water, but with a regular pattern. These patterns are caused by the manufacturing process. They will become visible the moment you use your CPL.
    Noted... Haven't really tried using CPL to check out those clear glasses... So far I experience this issue through car windows... Guess they are all design to be like that... maybe some UV protection or something like that...

  12. #12
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Noted... Haven't really tried using CPL to check out those clear glasses... So far I experience this issue through car windows... Guess they are all design to be like that... maybe some UV protection or something like that...
    Car glass is not plain glass. It is glass sealed in resin with god-knows what else is included in the processing. That is why it is shatter proof.. Also, most cars now have tinting film on top as well. So all theses add up, you are bound to see weird patter on auto glass.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Actually, I think it depends on how you do it... I have occasionally found all my photos having a blue tint to it, I have occasions where it turns out very well - my Highland day tour was one example as I shot out of the bus (glass) in some of my shots and it turns out great!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    hmmm.. out of curiosity, does this happen if those are not glass but plastic instead?

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Discolor using CPL

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFields View Post
    hmmm.. out of curiosity, does this happen if those are not glass but plastic instead?
    That depends again on the composition of the material. Similar to glass you can have all kinds of coatings, films and whatnot mixed in, giving you similar effects.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •