Thread: Jiuzhaigou - Chengdu Trip

Default Jiuzhaigou - Chengdu Trip

Hi all,

I will be going to Jiuzhaigou on 27 Oct - 3 Nov and I heard during that time they enter winter time.
    How to deal with such low temperature ( about 0 degree) and what should we do for prevent my camera and lens from problem that might occured?
    I'm planning to bring my 7D, 70-200, and 10-22 lenses

Thankss

Default Re: Jiuzhaigou - Chengdu Trip

yes, although its cold but it will not freeze your camera and lenses.

just take note not to blow away the dust on your lenses with your mouth, always use a blower especially in winter. you might be doing quite alot of walking and becareful of the ice on the ground to prevent slipping. If you are not shooting with your camera for the nxt 15mins, keep it in your bag, if the temperature is really freezing cold, put a heat pad inside your bag.

Enjoy!

Dont think it will be 0 deg C, unless winter comes early.
    At Jiuzhaigou, the 28-75 & 70-200 are very useful. Bring a 70-300 instead of a 70-200 if you have it.
    Tripod is a must. GND and CPL filters are very useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by KIS1984 View Post
    Hi all,

I will be going to Jiuzhaigou on 27 Oct - 3 Nov and I heard during that time they enter winter time.
    How to deal with such low temperature ( about 0 degree) and what should we do for prevent my camera and lens from problem that might occured?
    I'm planning to bring my 7D, 70-200, and 10-22 lenses

Thankss
    The time I was there was Dec 24 - 26 a few year back. The coldest temperature then was -12 degree but it was near late night or early morning. During the mid day it got warmer that I had to remove my warmer clothings as I climbed up the steps..My Nikon D300 then survivied without problems.

it will be cold as it's high altitude. Bring rain gear. some hotels have limited hot water supply for bathing and restrict the time you can shower with hot water. should be fun .....

I visited Jiuzhaigou + Chengdu last year from 3rd week of October 2009 to catch Jiuzhaigou + Huanglong. Huanglong may be closed nearer Nov month. The period when you visit Jiuzhaigou is highly recommended for Autumn season, as shared by some fellow clubsnap members. The autumn colors are more fully blown.

It was cold and there was short spell of light snow falls when I arrived at jiuzhaigou airport(located at mountain top) on 20 Oct 2009. Luckily, I got hand glove in advance to deal with cold. However, overall, I have no problem with my camera and lens except for the following situation:

1) It rained lightly when I visited jiuzhaigou and chengdu. Sometimes, I forgot to check for raindrop on len during jiuzhaigou. I only realised it when checking out photos on PC monitor. This is notwithstanding my lens hood was kept on.

Other than temperature consideration, you may want to consider the following:

1) If susceptible to altitude sickness, it is best to start taking supplements of rhodiola (红景天) herbal extract at least 2 weeks before going to Jiuzhaigou. Some of my tour members were down with sickness.

2) Tripod is useful especially for slow shutter waterfall shots. If there is a lot of people on same site, you may want to take note of possible vibration from boardwalk your tripod is resting on. I managed to shoot asap before getting much vibrations.

3) CPL and GND filters are useful too, as shared by another clubsnap member.

Hope you enjoy your trip. I enjoyed mine and it would be even better if the sky is clear blue.

Cheers

how about Emei Shan and Leshan? anybody got their experiences to share on trekking Emei Shan?
    D800 | N14-24 | N24-70 | N70-200 II | N50 1.4G | N60 macro 2.8G | N85 1.4G | SB800

Quote Originally Posted by wenbin0215 View Post
    how about Emei Shan and Leshan? anybody got their experiences to share on trekking Emei Shan?
    Leshan is not really a 山. It is the name of the town where you can see the Grand Buddha (乐山大佛)。

If you are planning for hiking in Emei Shan then you should take the most popular route which everyone takes for the hike.

This hiking route will take you via Long Life Monastery, Chu Temple, Elephant Bathing Pool and the to the summit. When you reach to the summit enjoy the sights and views for what you walked hard. And then walk down to Magic Peak Monastery after Elephant Bathing Pool which will leads you to Venerable Trees Terrace and Pure Sound Pavilion.

Another popular option for hiking is to take a bus to Wuxiangang and start hiking. You can stay at Jingshui and get a cable car which will take you to Long Life Monastery. From here, you can walk to the summit or get bus or cable car to take you to the summit because the hike is for 2 hrs because of the steep way to the top.

Just back from JiuZhaiGou, Leshan, Chengdu, Hailuogou + Emei 2 weeks ago. With the exception of Emei & Chengdu, there was rain (from light drizzle at Leshan to outright downpour at JiuZhaiGou) almost every day. My umbrella was on standby duty during the 12 days more often than the camera. Don't talk about taking out my tripod, my camera did not even come out of the bag for a 3 hr stretch while waiting for the rains to subside in JiuZhaiGou.

Don't mean to be a downer, but pls be prepared for the weather. Cheers and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    Just back from JiuZhaiGou, Leshan, Chengdu, Hailuogou + Emei 2 weeks ago. With the exception of Emei & Chengdu, there was rain (from light drizzle at Leshan to outright downpour at JiuZhaiGou) almost every day. My umbrella was on standby duty during the 12 days more often than the camera. Don't talk about taking out my tripod, my camera did not even come out of the bag for a 3 hr stretch while waiting for the rains to subside in JiuZhaiGou.

Don't mean to be a downer, but pls be prepared for the weather. Cheers and have fun.
    It's interesting how rapidly the weather can change in different parts of the country.
    Treetrunk, it was really good of you to inform all of the raining spell two weeks back.
    Our group will be reaching the shoals of Jiuzhaigou on 15th Oct.
    Hopefully there won't be too much rain then.

Did you manage to shoot red/yellow/green leaves (meaning, during your time there, has the leaves started changing colours)?

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    It's interesting how rapidly the weather can change in different parts of the country.
    Treetrunk, it was really good of you to inform all of the raining spell two weeks back.

Did you manage to shoot red/yellow/green leaves (meaning, during your time there, has the leaves started changing colours)?
    Sadly, my trip was at least 2-3 weeks too premature to capture the autumn foilage. Everything was still pretty green. Sigh!

Oh well, i think your timing is going to be better than mine. Happy hunting and stay safe.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post

hi limwhow, u are going there soon also? haha! coincidence because i'm also departing for Chengdu on the 15th Oct.. however Emeishan and Leshan will be my first stop over followed by Huanglong and JZG after the weekend (16 & 17)..

what are ur itenearies and where are the places that u will be covering? care to share them with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    Sadly, my trip was at least 2-3 weeks too premature to capture the autumn foilage. Everything was still pretty green. Sigh!

Oh well, i think your timing is going to be better than mine. Happy hunting and stay safe.

Cheers.
    hi Treetrunk, do u like to start a new thread on the travel photos that u have taken in Chengdu?
    D800 | N14-24 | N24-70 | N70-200 II | N50 1.4G | N60 macro 2.8G | N85 1.4G | SB800

I will be there from Oct 22nd with a small group of photographers.

JZG will be cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon and cold again at night. But not 0C. More like 8 or 10C at its lowest. So make sure u wear layers of clothing that can be peeled off and put back on again. Outer layer should be a thick jacket.

Inside the park, u will be walking on tar road or wooden platforms so it won't be slippery.

hi limwhow, u are going there soon also? haha! coincidence because i'm also departing for Chengdu on the 15th Oct.. however Emeishan and Leshan will be my first stop over followed by Huanglong and JZG after the weekend (16 & 17)..

what are ur itenearies and where are the places that u will be covering? care to share them with me?
    Hello wenbin0215.
    Here is the link to our group's itinerary:
    http://www.sgtrekker.com/event-details.aspx?id=22

Unlike Abbot Man's advice, I went up from Baoguo Si via Hongchun Ping, Xixiang Chi to the top as the locals say the view is better this side. Unless you are super fit, it is two nights on the mountain to reach the top.

My advice is NOT to trek this section alone. The monkeys are big and look menacing with sharp claws. You will need companions to look after each other's back as the monkeys are liable to jump on your back as you pass them.

Emei weather is famous for its variability. You will not find many people on this lower sections as very few appreciate what is in front of them.

PM me if you have speciifc questions.