Thread: lamp for viewing photos

Default lamp for viewing photos

I read from a book saying that I need a 5000k lamp to view the photos so that the color looks correct.

Is that necessary? Currently I am using a florescent (daylight) bulb for my room. Is necessary where can I get a 5000k lamp. I just checked courts, they do not know what the temperature of their lamp is.....

hah? Are you sure the book is not talking about the colour temperature of a light box for slide viewing?

no leh. The book said photos will look different under different lighting conditions so it is better to dim your room and rely on a 5000k lamp.... supposedly 5000k light is the standard for judging pictures....???

hmm, make sense. After all, looking at pictures under an orange light is gonna give you an orange cast But personally, daylight's good enough for me, cos its available everywhere (esp in Singapore), it's free, and you ain't gonna get more daylight balanced than true daylight

Even the sun can have temperature variations. It is "whiter" at noon compared to mornings and evenings.

Most "daylight" florescent tubes are at 6500K, therefore likely to have a slight shift to the blue side. It shouldn't cause a lot of problem unless you are really picky. Some labs just use normal florescent tubes to construct a lightbox for customers to have a quick scan of their negs.

If you want 5000K light, go for lightboxes. They will do your slides justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Even the sun can have temperature variations. It is "whiter" at noon compared to mornings and evenings.

Most "daylight" florescent tubes are at 6500K, therefore likely to have a slight shift to the blue side. It shouldn't cause a lot of problem unless you are really picky. Some labs just use normal florescent tubes to construct a lightbox for customers to have a quick scan of their negs.

If you want 5000K light, go for lightboxes. They will do your slides justice.
    The most accurate way to view prints of coz, via a viewing booth with a 5000K lamp with the correct brightness. But that's not going to be cheap....

Regards
    CK

So anyone has any ideas on a Cheap Lamp (less than $100) in Singapore for viewing photo prints???

I just got a cheap desk lamp and I find the light from it TOTALLY different from what I see in the day. waste money

I saw recommendations from books and websites for brands like ott-lite. Is this brand sold in singapore?