Thread: lens moist

Default lens moist

Hello CSers,

Need help on some issue. I put my camera and lens in a dry cabinet all the time.
    But on my past early morning shoots, I noticed that my lens start to moist after I take it out of the dry cabinet. My dry cabinet is at 49%RH.

You think my dry cabinet is spoil?

Thanks.

khalel04

Default Re: lens moist

Early morning shoot ? How about other times ? Still got the moist ? If not, then most probably its the early morning condensation.

was there a great temperature variance between your dry cabinet and the room? It might have the effect of coming out of a air-conditioned place into a hot and humid room if the variance is too great. The lenses will fog up with condensation.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

for the early morning I usually go out at 5:30am. other times no issue. so its natural?

Quote Originally Posted by khalel04 View Post
    for the early morning I usually go out at 5:30am. other times no issue. so its natural?
    Condensation occurs when a cold object is brought into a warmer environment with a relative humidity close to saturation (100%). Now check your conditions: Do you have the dry cabinet in aircon room? The RH conditions in early morning in Singapore are close to saturation. Usually dew point is about 23..25C. So yes, condensation is a natural process based on the conditions given.
    To verify the dry cab you could get a second hygrometer and do the salt test.
    EOS

Hi all,

may i ask whether it is advisable to put the dry-cab in 'non air-con' room rather than in air-con bedroom where room temperature is set to around 18șc ?

TIA
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    may i ask whether it is advisable to put the dry-cab in 'non air-con' room rather than in air-con bedroom where room temperature is set to around 18șc ?
    I'd advice to set your a/c temperature to something around 23..24 C. First it's healthier for you and your family not to sit or sleep in a fridge. Secondly you will save energy and money. But maybe it's just time to clean and service your a/c if you set to 18C to get something cool?
    For the dry cabinet and the equipment it doesn't matter at all. But the condensation sure is a sign that your storage conditions (especially temperature) are a bit over the top.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by khalel04 View Post
    Hello CSers,

Need help on some issue. I put my camera and lens in a dry cabinet all the time.
    But on my past early morning shoots, I noticed that my lens start to moist after I take it out of the dry cabinet. My dry cabinet is at 49%RH.

You think my dry cabinet is spoil?

Thanks.

khalel04
    You stay near any forest?