Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to make photos color more vibrant?

Quote Originally Posted by RAIN_MAN
    ya someone mention abt PROFESSIONAL FILM,it helps?ARE those film really hav beta colour range?i always believe by overexposure will help to improve colour saturation...
    i personally do not tink that palorizer help to improve colour saturation but it definatly help produre blue sky and reduce reflection...

pls advise...
    Original poster is shooting D70, so comments about professional films doesn't really apply. Try shooting a roll of Velvia or even Reala... you'll literally see the difference.

ya someone mention abt PROFESSIONAL FILM,it helps?ARE those film really hav beta colour range?i always believe by overexposure will help to improve colour saturation...
    i personally do not tink that palorizer help to improve colour saturation but it definatly help produre blue sky and reduce reflection...
    yah that's why people pay a significant amount more for this little bit of nicer colour. but for most people even normal film would look pretty good if the photo was nicely taken.

polariser's effect is obvious if u have polarisable light (e.g. sunlight). it also needs to be reasonably direct - there is less effect if it's been diffused by cloud, for example (fill me in on the physics). it reduces glare, which makes the resulting colour look clearer, less washed out.

this thing about overexposing by 1 stop. u gotta try to understand how u're exposing here. r u overexposing the entire scene by 1 stop, based on what the auto scene meter is telling u? or overexposing the ambient light value by 1 stop? or overexposing the subject by 1 stop? the 3 situations give u different exposure values usually.

colours look fine if u just expose for that colour normally. meaning if u see a coloured object lit by a certain ambient light (the sun) and u expose for that light value, it should be ok. slide users sometimes prefer to darken it a little by 1/2 stop. negative users should tend to overexpose by 1 stop not to make the colour better but to make the photo in general a bit better. digital users (from what i hear) might do well to start with a slightly darker (underexposed) photo and fine tune the exposure, again for the sake of getting a good overall picture (u'll need to confirm this).

do note that if u meter for a colour like red, and u compare it to metering a yellow object, don't expect the same reading from your light meter/camera.

Yesterday, I read an article about COLOR FILTERS.

But this filters seems like, TOO MANY to buy! I know if we use the correct filter, the effect will be even better than using a polariser, provided the photog needs to know the ability of his film.

So my question here is that, how about using filters to enhance photos? Is there any general filters to buy?

digital fotogs: polariser. nothing much else is very urgent. all colour correction is done on the computer.

film: polariser, 81B is useful.

these are the basics. the other filters like effects filters would be if u feel u need it.

Quote Originally Posted by hyun
    digital fotogs: polariser. nothing much else is very urgent. all colour correction is done on the computer.

film: polariser, 81B is useful.

these are the basics. the other filters like effects filters would be if u feel u need it.
    81B? for general useage? or for certain coverage only.

I do have a polariser and it does make good saturation.

Alrite,will try some professional film and see..i normally overexposing the entire scene by 1 stop,will tak your suggestion on overexposing the ambient light value by 1 stop(never try that b4).

As for the digital part by underexposed the photo helps to preserve the details overexposed shot will result in wash out in the overexposed area.heard ppl say b4 digital are very sensitive to overexposure,its less tolerance to excussive light..

Correct me if iam wrong,new digital user...

Alrite,will try some professional film and see..i normally overexposing the entire scene by 1 stop,will tak your suggestion on overexposing the ambient light value by 1 stop(never try that b4).

As for the digital part by underexposed the photo helps to preserve the details overexposed shot will result in wash out in the overexposed area.heard ppl say b4 digital are very sensitive to overexposure,its less tolerance to excussive light..

Correct me if iam wrong,new digital user...
    Be very very sure of the exposure if you shoot slides. Slides has zero tolerance for exposure errors. Interestingly, it's the advice of some to go for underexposure rather than overexposure when shooting slides, and the reason is the same: washed out areas look like sh*t on slides.

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    81B? for general useage? or for certain coverage only.

I do have a polariser and it does make good saturation.
    if the entire day is rather shadowless, 81B can be stuck on for the whole day. and u lose only one third stop of light. but 81B would make it unnaturally warm for a really good day. so gotta use judgment.

even a rather bad day can be polarised, albeit just a little. a little's better than nothing, except that u lose 1.5 stops of light.

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia
    From here . Its a site with quite a number of PS actions, can try both the velvia and provia actions, i find both of these quite useful, esp if you dun want to mess around with selective colour manipulation urself.
    Managed to obtain some of the Actions but how to get it to work or instal in PS?

Default Re: how to make photos color more vibrant?

Hi. I'm new. Did a search on polarizing filter and found this interesting thread. Perhaps by now Paul is already a pro. I'm also considering getting a polarizer. the only thing is i'm not too sure how much a difference it'll make to a pic..i think i'll only find out if i get one myself.
    So Paul, have u tried it out and has it given u more vibrant and rich photos?

i recommend u to go see ami vitale's photos. simply awesome. super rich,vibrant and cool photojournalism. www.amivitale.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123