Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using 12-24mm for event

Good thing about 12-24 Sigma is that it responds very good to USM, really very good. F8 onwards it's decently sharp, some careful USM can bring out pretty sharp results printable at S8R easily (and viewing at arm's length, not 15cm away).

Seriously do you all expect a 1.5k 12mm zoom to have no distortion even in DX format ??. If level correctly it looks OK. BTW the 5mm (12mm-17mm) is alot in wide angle terms unlike say a 20mm in the tele range.

Quote Originally Posted by ical
    Watcher, the distortion from AFS 12-24 with a digital camera is much greater than AFS 17-35 with a film camera. If you've the following, judge it for yourself. That's the reason why most photographer find that AFS 12-24 look wider and odd while AFS 17-35 is alright. I feel the same way too, the distortion is too great for my liking. I only use it for very tight environment.

sigma has done it though. The 12-24 has minimal distortion according to the review below:

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/R..._f4.5-5.6.html

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    sigma has done it though. The 12-24 has minimal distortion according to the review below:

Because it is full frame...
    On a digital, you only get the crop of the center part which has far less distortion. Of course, the compromise of having a larger front diameter and a "pop-eye" allows it to be full-frame.

The above makes external front filters almost impossible to put on. Good filters cost a lot and 82mm is hard to find besides pricey.
    Last edited by Watcher; 17th June 2004 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ical
    Watcher, the distortion from AFS 12-24 with a digital camera is much greater than AFS 17-35 with a film camera. If you've the following, judge it for yourself. That's the reason why most photographer find that AFS 12-24 look wider and odd while AFS 17-35 is alright. I feel the same way too, the distortion is too great for my liking. I only use it for very tight environment.
    I had taken model shoots and events on the 12-24 before. I had not heard comments about the distortion, especially on the 24 mm. At 12, you normally have space to crop afterwards or to avoid the "moustache" distortion.

I have tried the 17-35. It is a very good lens, I agree. However, note that it cost about 60% more. If the distortion is a little too great, use Panotools. It is an external software that can correct all these problems and is free IIRC. There is also DXO but they are a bit expensive at the moment so...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjørn Rørslett
    Geometric distortion is low for such a wide lens and although the predictable barrel distortion does show up at 12 mm, the amount is not alarming and in fact much less than found in the 17-35 AFS (@17 mm). At 24 mm, a slight pincushion distortion can be seen

I would prefer the 17-40 over the 12-24 anytime for this kind of shoot. You need to consider the distortions. Only if pressed for space would I use the 12-24.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Seriously do you all expect a 1.5k 12mm zoom to have no distortion even in DX format ??. If level correctly it looks OK. BTW the 5mm (12mm-17mm) is alot in wide angle terms unlike say a 20mm in the tele range.
    Precisely. Check out the price of the 14mm and 18mm primes!

still recomended 17-40 f/4 L canon

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    I have tried the 17-35. It is a very good lens, I agree. However, note that it cost about 60% more. If the distortion is a little too great, use Panotools. It is an external software that can correct all these problems and is free IIRC. There is also DXO but they are a bit expensive at the moment so...
    Panotools look interesting. Will check out it. Btw, the 14mm is great! But at a price of course.

If anyone is interested, the Sigma 12-24 only costs 1.05k btw. Try beating that. And no problems with built, dropped it from 50cm at a wedding once.
    Last edited by 2100; 17th June 2004 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza

am very impressed with the pictures..............btw has anione used this on a 300D and the results??......................btw its a linear or circular distort??..............=>

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    am very impressed with the pictures..............btw has anione used this on a 300D and the results??......................btw its a linear or circular distort??..............=>
    I think you meant barrel distortion when you said circular. Nope, there is the barest hint of it. Perspective "distortion", of course it will be there for ultra WA esp if you tilt the plane up or down.....this is unavoidable, laws of physics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12