Thread: Slightly out of topic-Tripod for binocular

Default Slightly out of topic-Tripod for binocular

I wanted to get the GO 20x110 binocular for astro and found it is 7kg.

Tomorrow, I going to first get a tripod that can hold it and I am totally clueless about tripod and ballhead. Can I use the Sirui tripod to hold this 7kg binocular? This tripod claims to hold up to 10kg of load.

Another question is that can I use its accompanying ballhead (G10) to view the skies (As it is a photography tripod)? This is my first tripod and I totally clueless. Thanks a lot for helping. \

P/S: Sorry for not posting in the astro forum as the astro forum has little traffic and I hope to get an answer by today so that I can go buy it tomorrow.

Default Re: Slightly out of topic-Tripod for binocular

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    I wanted to get the GO 20x110 binocular for astro and found it is 7kg.

Tomorrow, I going to first get a tripod that can hold it and I am totally clueless about tripod and ballhead. Can I use the Sirui tripod to hold this 7kg binocular? This tripod claims to hold up to 10kg of load.

Another question is that can I use its accompanying ballhead (G10) to view the skies (As it is a photography tripod)? This is my first tripod and I totally clueless. Thanks a lot for helping. \

P/S: Sorry for not posting in the astro forum as the astro forum has little traffic and I hope to get an answer by today so that I can go buy it tomorrow.
    You may want to get a stronger ballhead as you'd be using it most of the time in the angled position.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

Default Re: Slightly out of topic-Tripod for binocular

depending if your bino is a porro-prism or roof-prism style...... I am guessing its porro-prism (the traditional style) ......... at THIS size (its HUGE for a bino) it usually comes with a tripod adaptor to attach this monster onto a tripod (its impossible to handhold steadily given its weight and magnification factor of 20x

irregardless, if not you will need to buy a clamp adaptor for it...... this adaptor is screwed onto the tripod ..... make sure the thread size is similar

most websites selling binos and birding/astronomy equiptment sites will list it for sale

p/s If u have not bought it yet, i strongly suggest getting an angled telescope with 30 to 60x magnification and a more decent sized exit pupil and eye relief ..... and can attach to camera to take pics of the stars too......

with a straight barrel telescope or bino for star-gazing (the unit will be pointing UPWARDS at varying angles) , you will need a VERY TALL tripod to avoid straining/breaking your neck....just me

Good Luck !!
    Last edited by ed9119; 17th September 2010 at 02:17 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast