Thread: Introspection

Default Introspection

DSC_0381a by cljw226, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    framing, lighting. Does it convey the feeling of introspection of more of loss and lonliness?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    ?
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    night at henderson waves.
    Aperture f/22.0
    Focal Length 18 mm
    ISO Speed 400
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    o course i would think it fits the title

Default Re: Introspection

judging by ur settings, it's pretty impressive that ur subject can keep so still for so long

anyway, i wanna clarify.. which is ur subject? the bridge or the guy sitting down?

in this case u shld apply the rule of thirds. for me, i will position the guy in the bottom right point of interest in the frame. this will convey the mood better.

u can read up bout rule of thirds here : http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rule-of-thirds

just my 2 cents
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Not really a pro but in my opinion if the guy is the subject thn show more of him. His legs are cut off. =/

Hi, yes, the image of the guy be larger and therefore nearer to camera.
    Last edited by henry soh; 17th September 2010 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    judging by ur settings, it's pretty impressive that ur subject can keep so still for so long

anyway, i wanna clarify.. which is ur subject? the bridge or the guy sitting down?

in this case u shld apply the rule of thirds. for me, i will position the guy in the bottom right point of interest in the frame. this will convey the mood better.

u can read up bout rule of thirds here : http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rule-of-thirds

just my 2 cents
    yea the guy is the subject. wow thanks man, very useful read-up, never really made a concious effort to apply the rule of thirds.

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, yes, the image of the guy be larger and therefore nearer to camera.
    mm point noted. if i moved closer i wouldn't be able to take as much of the bridge as i would like. perhaps i should've moved the camera back and lowered my tripod.

This pic doesnt really work for me. Its too dark to begin with and u also used B&W.

Other than that yes the guy should be filling more of the frame. But i do like that you plan your shots at least, know what you want, instead of just seeing the moment and capture it like a candid.

Good attempt! hope to see more next time.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    This pic doesnt really work for me. Its too dark to begin with and u also used B&W.

Other than that yes the guy should be filling more of the frame. But i do like that you plan your shots at least, know what you want, instead of just seeing the moment and capture it like a candid.

Good attempt! hope to see more next time.. =)
    mm noted. i figured the B&W would convey a colder n still atmosphere, hence the title

i think the guy should be seated further away from the camera, to make it more "lonely".

nice shot... could be improve as per all the comments given...

keep up the work~!
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

why is it called introspection?
    Was he holding a DSLR in his hands?

introspection:
    1.b&w feel conveys, cold and silent atmosphere for reflective thinking
    2.lone subject = reflective

yes dslr

thank you.

Framing not Bad. Image is underexposed. The black patch of blackness with trees behind is quite out of place, but can live with it. What you can do is use a Bigger f stop say, 9 or 10 is enough so that your image won't be under exposed and your subject will not suffer from stone-ing

Quote Originally Posted by antotsang View Post
    Framing not Bad. Image is underexposed. The black patch of blackness with trees behind is quite out of place, but can live with it. What you can do is use a Bigger f stop say, 9 or 10 is enough so that your image won't be under exposed and your subject will not suffer from stone-ing
    mm due to the nature of the image, if i increase the exposure, wouldn't the subject be over exposed?

Quote Originally Posted by charliechaps View Post
    mm due to the nature of the image, if i increase the exposure, wouldn't the subject be over exposed?
    It should be the same, because your current exposure of the subject is same as those lights. If you bring up your exposure a little more, you picture will turn out clearer also.