Thread: Food Photography

Default Food Photography

Hi, I am thinking working as a free lance food photographer. I wonder how a local food photographer charged to his/her customer? I also want to know the rate. Thanks.

Default Re: Food Photography

I did food photography.

For market prize is around $600 for 4 short. This is for restaurant. For fifth, $80 per shoot.
    (You must use studio light for shooting)

For small shop, eating house, the prize can be lower. (Hotel restaurant will higher, because pay is not easy to get!)

Every food you must shoot few different angle, and make sure they approve before next short.

How to let fishball floating on soup, how to show the different between abalone and fish cake when cut into pice.
    This is the thing you will face.

Wish you Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Tay View Post
    I did food photography.

For market prize is around $600 for 4 short. This is for restaurant. For fifth, $80 per shoot.

For small shop, eating house, the prize can be lower. (Hotel restaurant will higher, because pay is not easy to get!)

Every food you must shoot few different angle, and make sure they approve before next short.

How to let fishball floating on soup, how to show the different between abalone and fish cake when cut into pice.

Wish you Good luck!
    Hi, Thanks for your information.

One more, you must know the food prize well. If the food cost $5 you must shoot it look like more than $5!

If the food cost $10, after you shoot it look like $3! They will not happy of the shooting.

Wish you good luck and happy shooting!

Hop to see your photo in any restaurant!

One more, you must know the food prize well. If the food cost $5 you must shoot it look like more than $5!

If the food cost $10, after you shoot it look like $3! They will not happy of the shooting.

Wish you good luck and happy shooting!

Hop to see your photo in any restaurant!
    Hi Tay, I am working hard to move to this direction. All the best to you!

So Mr. Ah Tay, is the prize money $600 for 4 short or you price your 4 shots at $600?

I did food photography.

Wish you Good luck!

If you bring your camera, lenses, Macbook, lights, softbox, reflectors, snoots, spare fuses/bulbs, the various clamps and stands, triggers/receivers and other thing, take a taxi all the way to the restaurant to shoot a plate of rice noodles,it only cost $3 and they only pay you $50 (your may pay $30 to taxi for two way) how were you feel?

For client, $50 can order 16 plates of rice noodle still can get $2 back! (This is they always think!)

So you must have minimum food to shoot (3 -6) that can cover your cost and minimum price that keep yourself and your clients happy! And will keep you on going!

Good luck my friend and wish you Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

If you bring your camera, lenses, Macbook, lights, softbox, reflectors, snoots, spare fuses/bulbs, the various clamps and stands, triggers/receivers and other thing, take a taxi all the way to the restaurant to shoot a plate of rice noodles,it only cost $3 and they only pay you $50 (your may pay $30 to taxi for two way) how were you feel?

For client, $50 can order 16 plates of rice noodle still can get $2 back! (This is they always think!)

So you must have minimum food to shoot (3 -6) that can cover your cost and minimum price that keep yourself and your clients happy! And will keep you on going!

Good luck my friend and wish you Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!
    Hi Tay, do you learn food styling? Do you know where to learn food styling in Singapore?

Try this!

I learn food styling by myself, I read a lot of book and web, I have been left inhouse photographer job and work in the restaurant kitchen for few months.

And also did some free job for some restaurant that need help to try up my skill.

Thanks Tay, a very good website. Do you own the website?

Quote Originally Posted by hippofat View Post
    Hi, I am thinking working as a free lance food photographer. I wonder how a local food photographer charged to his/her customer? I also want to know the rate. Thanks.
    Hi

The rates vary quite a bit in the scale. I do know that one of the top food photographers charges anything from S$300 to $1000 per shot.

That said, some photographers are charging a day rate ($1000-$1500/day) and $200-300 per shot.

Day rate is to make sure the client commits to the shoot either willfully or otherwise.

Best
    Wesley
    Last edited by wesley; 23rd September 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Hi

The rates vary quite a bit in the scale. I do know that one of the top food photographers charges anything from S$300 to $1000 per shot.

That said, some photographers are charging a day rate ($1000-$1500/day) and $200-300 per shot.

Day rate is to make sure the client commits to the shoot either willfully or otherwise.

Best
    Wesley
    Hi Wesley, Thanks for the info.

Nice food photography! Any possibility of showing us your usual setup?