Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Nikon / Canon

  1. #1

    Default Nikon / Canon

    hi all, 1st post here

    Just curious, is there a specific type of photos these brands are better at?
    Like maybe either one brand is better at taking landscape? or Indoor? or wildlife?

    Pretty noob here but interested to learn more from ur experience.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Part of Singapore
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    I believe both can do pretty well in those areas, depending on the lens and the skill of the photographer. Its more of a branding thingy between the 2, thats my personal opinion.
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    I have personally heard from 2 professional photographer say that they prefer nikon because it gives warmer skin tones in people portraits. That's a personal preference.

    Some say canon makes better landscapes because it gives more neutral colors

    This nikon/canon debate have been going on for decades.

    I personally don't like warm skin tones in Asian skin because it makes us look too yellowish. I like a neutral skin tone

    however with today's technology, all there can be change via controlling the white balance or thru post processing

  4. #4

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by leng85 View Post
    hi all, 1st post here

    Just curious, is there a specific type of photos these brands are better at?
    Like maybe either one brand is better at taking landscape? or Indoor? or wildlife?

    Pretty noob here but interested to learn more from ur experience.
    Its the photographer that matters, better photographer = better pictures not the brand of the camera.

    Expect to get some harsh comments, this topic has come on far too many times

  5. #5
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by leng85 View Post
    hi all, 1st post here

    Just curious, is there a specific type of photos these brands are better at?
    Like maybe either one brand is better at taking landscape? or Indoor? or wildlife?

    Pretty noob here but interested to learn more from ur experience.
    Nothing is better to each other, It's only depends on your taste.

    But I will agree to some extent on Sports, AF is very important thing to consider.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Hehehe this topic has been discussed to death.
    Both are huge companies with extensive lineup of digital cameras.
    Both constantly try to outdo each other.

    I don't agree that _____ is better than ____ for certain genres, etc.
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    They are practically neck and neck in terms of what they offer to the market. If you're looking to buy a camera, you ought to know what sort of stuff you are most likely to shoot, then identify your needs, shortlist some models that fit your budget, and try holding them and playing around with their interface to ensure you are comfortable with the ergonomics. Even within the same brand, the button and menu layout may be different, so don't jump to conclusions on a brand simply from the interaction with one camera body. Ideally you should get what you are comfortable with, then use the equipment to its full potential.

    Another thing you should consider is the lens lineup by each camera brand. Some brands may have 'better' lenses for certain types of photography, so you should bear that in mind too. I have not mentioned any particular brand, simply because I think you should make the decision yourself, after having tried out the gear that's available on the market. It's likely to be a tedious process, but it will be worth your while when you've found one that suits your photographic needs.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Thx for all who posted so far.
    I think u guys r right. None really excel the other. Its really up to individual pref.

  9. #9
    Member/Tangshooter jawzsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Moi live in a flat
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    .. try both and see how... the one you like less can pass to me afterwards....
    651D90 Mk II cameller™ ...... "Ai Camel Mai ?"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Welcome to CS . . .

    Your own preference in terms of the brand . . . try both and see which one is suitable for you.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by leng85 View Post
    Just curious, is there a specific type of photos these brands are better at?
    No difference.

  12. #12

    Wink Re: Nikon / Canon

    Why not considerate Sony / Olympus ?

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    I have personally heard from 2 professional photographer say that they prefer nikon because it gives warmer skin tones in people portraits. That's a personal preference.

    Some say canon makes better landscapes because it gives more neutral colors

    This nikon/canon debate have been going on for decades.

    I personally don't like warm skin tones in Asian skin because it makes us look too yellowish. I like a neutral skin tone

    however with today's technology, all there can be change via controlling the white balance or thru post processing
    If talking about skin tones in Jpeg out of cam, nothing beats Fuji S series DSLRs... S5pro S3pro and S2pro...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If talking about skin tones in Jpeg out of cam, nothing beats Fuji S series DSLRs... S5pro S3pro and S2pro...
    Naaah, I prefer the A900 skin tones.
    Alpha

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Naaah, I prefer the A900 skin tones.
    Nah, I prefer Zeiss lens on Canon camera for skin tones
    Home is where the heart is.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Nah, I prefer Zeiss lens on Canon camera for skin tones
    Naaah, I prefer Zeiss autofocus lens on A900 for skin tones.
    Alpha

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Naaah, I prefer the A900 skin tones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Nah, I prefer Zeiss lens on Canon camera for skin tones
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Naaah, I prefer Zeiss autofocus lens on A900 for skin tones.
    So you see TS... there is no best. Everyone's best is different.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    So you see TS... there is no best. Everyone's best is different.
    And that's the real moral of the story.
    Alpha

  19. #19

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    Its all about preferences. Welcome

  20. #20

    Default Re: Nikon / Canon

    I bought Nikon caused most of my friends use it. Main thing is we can share lenses. I borrow his 70-200, he borrow my 85 1.4 etc...etc....

    One of my friend bought Nikon because he says it felt better in his hands. Some bought Canon because of the HD video.

    In summary, buy what is best for u. But do check out the new D7000. The specs is amazing for this price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •