Thread: any cheap dslr flashlight to recommend n where to get?

Question any cheap dslr flashlight to recommend n where to get?

am a beginner, currently using nikon d5000. do i need to get a flash tat compatible with my dslr brand or any china brand will do?

actually is it almost all photos need to be taken with flash even on sunny afternoon to compensate the fast shutter speed using hand held cos slow shutter will result in blur image, correct me if i'm wrong. y it is recommended to use external flash light or flash gun... y is the build in not suitable?

sorry if my questions r too noob here

Default Re: any cheap dslr flashlight to recommend n where to get?

Quote Originally Posted by cdxing View Post
    am a beginner, currently using nikon d5000. do i need to get a flash tat compatible with my dslr brand or any china brand will do?

actually is it almost all photos need to be taken with flash even on sunny afternoon to compensate the fast shutter speed using hand held cos slow shutter will result in blur image, correct me if i'm wrong. y it is recommended to use external flash light or flash gun... y is the build in not suitable?

if you want to get a flash, get a Nikon one.

You dun need a flash for daytime as the exposure will result in a high shutter speed already. Just try to shoot in A mode or Auto mode to check out the exposure level.

The only times you'd need a flash in the day would be to add in fill-flash for times when the subject is in the shadows or if the sky is over-cast and you need the subject to be brighter.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

actually is it almost all photos need to be taken with flash even on sunny afternoon to compensate the fast shutter speed using hand held cos slow shutter will result in blur image, correct me if i'm wrong.
    If that's the case with you I'd recommend a visit to your doc and let them treat the tremor
    It takes very very shaky hands, wrong technique or completely wrong settings to get blur images with a normal DSLR in afternoon. And flash is not necessary for normal daylight photography, unless you have backlight conditions or wish to blend natural and additional light. How many people do you see taking pictures during day time with additional flash?
    y it is recommended to use external flash light or flash gun... y is the build in not suitable?
    The built-in flash is just not as powerful as an external flash. Secondly, it's a very small light, resulting in harsh white images in center and dark corners when used. External flashes, together with diffusers and bounce technique (swivel head!) create a more even and soft light, much nicer. You will have much more control over the way the flash light illuminates the subject.
    EOS

get a diffuser for ur pop-up flash. =D simply $10 will satisfy ur need. if u r not a hardcore photographer.

there are many creative things you can do with a good flash, such as RPT flash, commander function, etc. if u r planning longer term, i would suggest save enough for the nikon SB900.

If u r nikon user, u can consider getting the nissin 622, its good enough for many purposes : )

Before considering getting a flash, I suggest you consider bringing your camera out and take photos. Try it out and see what happens first to get a feel of what you really need.

On a bright sunny day, flash is not neccesary unless you need to fill some shadows. For this, the built in flash might be good enough. If you had tried to take photos on a bright sunny day, you'll realise that how ever hard you try to shake the camera, the image will still be clear (unless it's out of focus) as the shutter speed would be at least 1/250s (depending how bright the ambient light). Seriously, please try it out.

However, for indoor or night shooting, you'll want to use a flash. Which flash to get depends on your affordabiliy. You got the cash, go for a Nikon. You won't go wrong.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

external flash gives u more flexibility as compared to build-in, u could get a cheap wireless trigger for it and u could play around with it. thats the diff. I suggest u get a nikon 1 as nikon flashes are well known for accuracy. It's worth paying a bit more =) On bright sunny afternoon u could use up till 1000+ or more shutter speed in which if u take shots from ur dslr on a F1 car traveling at top speed, it will not be blur. so no worries min shutter for hand shake if ur really stable u could go up till 1/30 but safety range is 1/100 - 1/160 which u can compensate with ISO as d5k ISO handling is awesome.
    Dots........