Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overexposure

Default Overexposure

Hi Guys,
    Would like your kind advise on this photo. I am using f1.8 at ISO200 with 1/12s with external flash. The shoot was in a resturant with yellow lightning. Why is the photo overexposed? The flash was facing up towards the ceiling at that point of time. Am I too near to subject?
    Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Overexposure

Quote Originally Posted by brlcc View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Would like your kind advise on this photo. I am using f1.8 at ISO200 with 1/12s with external flash. The shoot was in a resturant with yellow lightning. Why is the photo overexposed? The flash was facing up towards the ceiling at that point of time. Am I too near to subject?
    Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]
    what camera what flash and is your flash set to TTL? what exposure mode? what metering mode?

Ur setting f1.8 n long shutter speed of 1/12.
    Tho ur flash is bounced it will still overexpose the shot.
    Try changing ur shutter to 1/125 or 1/250

u use your flash in manual mode?

if u use TTL, it should not over expose..

ur flash exposure compensation is set to zero right?

Why on earth are you using 1/12s??

I suggest you go back to the box your camera came in, look for a little book called "Instruction Manual" and start reading about "metering" and "exposure".
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Why on earth are you using 1/12s??

I suggest you go back to the box your camera came in, look for a little book called "Instruction Manual" and start reading about "metering" and "exposure".
    best advice
    Last edited by garagez; 15th September 2010 at 04:13 PM.
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

Hmm Sorry i am also a Newbie still learning but from your situation i think is your Shutter speed that cos the over exposure. You can try adjusting your Shutter speed from 1/50 to 1/200, maybe your will get the right exporsure. Just play around with your shutter speed. =)
    [Canon 500D][EF-S 15-85mm][EF 50mm II][430EX II]
    HomePage's[http://cadefox.multiply.com/]

I think it is a case of shooting at f.1.8 but your flash setting is set to f.4 or f.5.6.
    Do not suspect it is due to the speed of 1/12 as there is no "yellow cast" thought you mention "The shoot was in a resturant with yellow lightning"
    Last edited by yqt; 15th September 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the comments so far. Pardon on my mistake, still on the learning curve.
    I am using a 500D with 580 ext flash. I was using Av mode at that time, guess I
    can't adjust my shuttering speed right?

Exposure Compensation at 0 and Metering Mode at Pattern.

I think I need more time on playing with the flash.. : p

It's strange that when you're on Av mode and the camera shutter speed is so slow. Can you compare what is the shutter speed using your built in flash and external flash?

Does this condition happen all the time?
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the comments so far. Pardon on my mistake, still on the learning curve.
    In Av mode the Shutther Speed is automatically set between 1/60 seconds (depend on camera make) and the camera’s maximum X-sync speed to match the lens aperture you have set. Maximum X-sync speed typically between 1/125 to 1/250. 1/12 seconds could be specific to Canon only.

Hi Guys,

Exposure Compensation at 0 and Metering Mode at Pattern.

I think I need more time on playing with the flash.. : p
    Was shooting during the Raya celebrations with family and friends using 500D and a 3rd party flash using TTL. But I always set it to Shutter Speed Priority mode, maybe because I wasn't interested in creating the blur background effect. Was using the kit lens 18-55 and the 75-300, but only problem was the face will be overexposed if picture was taken too close up and flash was set directly towards the subject.

Have you tried using Manual mode?
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

I will go back tonight to test again using both the ext and build in flash and see if the shutter speed is still the same at 1/12s. At the same time will try using manual mode as well.

I will go back tonight to test again using both the ext and build in flash and see if the shutter speed is still the same at 1/12s. At the same time will try using manual mode as well.
    Good idea to use Manual Mode.

A good tip for you is when using a flash is to set the Shutter Speed to your camera sync speed or slower.

Also try out Key Shifting, i.e you mix ambient light with flash light in the photo.

To do this you control the Shutter to show more or less ambient light by either slowing down the shutter or speeding it up.

Camera Maker: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 500D
    Image Date: 2010:09:06 21:20:56
    Focal Length: 85.0mm
    Aperture: f/1.8
    Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)
    ISO equiv: 200
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: Yes (Manual)
    Color Space: sRGB
    according to the exif, your flash is manual mode.

why?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

why?
    Last night, I went back to take a look at my camera and flash, the flash is set at ETTL,not manual mode. Strange, something different as what EXIF have?

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    In Av mode the Shutther Speed is automatically set between 1/60 seconds (depend on camera make) and the camera’s maximum X-sync speed to match the lens aperture you have set. Maximum X-sync speed typically between 1/125 to 1/250. 1/12 seconds could be specific to Canon only.
    I tried with both build in flash and ext flash on AV mode. Did not manage to obtain back 1/13secs. Photos taken was at 1/30secs for build in flash and about 1/25secs for ext flash. Are these camera settings ok? This is on 85mm f1.8. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

why?
    catchlights - how do you get the EXIF info. What is the process? I save the image from the forum, but I don't get to see the EXIF. Please teach how to get the info out, thanks.
    __________________________________________________ _
    http://living-a-good-life.blogspot.com

Frankly, 1/25s and 1/30s is still quite slow.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Frankly, 1/25s and 1/30s is still quite slow.
    Mind explain how you determine 1/25 and 1/30s are considered slow?

My understanding of Canon camera in Av mode is that it'll consider flash as fill light. Hence it will be metering for the ambient light regardless if flash is on or off. So the shutter speed should be the same with or without flash on. In reality however, shutter will be 1 stop faster for evaluative metering with flash on. For all other metering modes (partial, spot and center weighted average), shutter speed will be the same with or without flash.
    Last edited by GRbenji; 16th September 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast