Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: AF-S 35mm f/1.4G Nano

Default Re: AF-S 35mm f/1.4G Nano

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    PS. You just got me worried again. I just tried out ~ 100 frames on the 24/1.4, on the TV, on faces, on subjects, various distances....all no issue and 100% hit. Decently dim lighting 1/60-1/200 f1.4 ISO 1600. Apparently only in the demands of weddings and in reality (subjects are always moving, you are talking and trying to control the environment, shooting with just one hand etc) always screws it up, and some ballrooms are so damn dark that you need bounced flash to fill in a bit. It is very different.

But if there is really a chance, think will also rent the 35/1.4 but really need to put it in real use, at least for my usage.
    100% hit with AF-S 24 f/1.4G

I hope that this AF-S 35 f/1.4 G is as good as the 24 one
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

orient photo has stock but paiseh, i din't ask in case i get tempted.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post

At home controlled conditions plus during my recent Taiwan trip ie Travel photography (actually I posted pix in the FM 24/1.4 wide open thread and over here in CS) 3-5 seconds slowly pump AF and making sure your AF area is "workable"....the hit rates are incredible. I remember shooting at Xi Men Ding coz it was extremely rushed thanks to 1hr period given that I did not even chimp, no issue. I'm sure if lighting were lower and subjs moved it'd quicky go down.
    But then in weddings its usually sweat conditions esp when you are trying to capture Ze Moment, too many variables including the very often overlooked "fatique" factor. (try shooting 3 in a row and test at 5AM/10.30PM at the end of it, how to compare man)
    Last edited by 2100; 12th December 2010 at 11:24 PM.

I'm hoping the new Samyang 35 1.4 comes out soon. If its as good as their 14 f2.8 , their 8mm FE and their 85 1.4 I'll get it...So far I love the 14 and the Fish eye....Off course they are all manual focus but the auto focus indicator (green dot) still works on my bodies, so no big deal...I hear you guys compairing the new Nikon AF lenses to the Leica and Zeiss glass but both are manual focus , than every body laughs when Samyang glass is mentioned... It seems like if its not an auto focus lense than its not good...And I truly would like to see the "bokah" diference of 1.4 vs 1.8 with a moving subject...I'm sure there is some but I think the main issue is how difficult it is to focus at such wide lens openings with subject movement anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the new "G" glass from Nikon will be a true winner, but at what a price! Right now I'm using my Nikon 28 f2 on my DX bodies to cover the "normal" field of view...And its been good enough for several years....Of course I have my trusty Nik 17-35 f2.8 as a back up (no "NANO" coating of course).

Just my 10 cents worth...

Cheers
    www.snakephoto.blogspot.com
    Last edited by george671; 13th December 2010 at 02:32 AM.

Looks as good, but smaller. I would think the 35mm would outperform the 24mm for the simple reason that the 24mm is more extreme in the focal length. I will shoot a few shots and see how it goes this weekend.

Yup exactly. It is very sharp even at f1.4. Very contrasty and nice colour. Simply an awesome lens for full frame. I couldn't find a better word to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    To me is tack sharp wide open, contrasty n great color rendition.. Love at 1st sight..
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Just picked up mine last night. I agree on sharpness and contrast wide open. However, does anyone find the focus speed a bit slow though? In comparison, my 35 f/2 seems to snap to focus faster.
    Nikon D80,D300,D700.Tokina 12-24,Tamron 90,Nikon 18-200, 70-200, 80-400, 50, 85, 17-55, 24-70 & no $

I never use 35 f/2 so I can't compare. I find that its speed is normal on my D700 as I haven't tried to shoot fast-moving object with this lens yet. Anyway, which camera did you use?
    According to KenRockwell.com, if you use DX camera, it's better stick to the 35mm f1.8. The 35 f1.4G is designed for FX. However, Ken Rockwell maybe wrong. I have no idea yet

Quote Originally Posted by mrbinks76 View Post
    Just picked up mine last night. I agree on sharpness and contrast wide open. However, does anyone find the focus speed a bit slow though? In comparison, my 35 f/2 seems to snap to focus faster.

is normal for the 1.4 lens af-s to be a bit 'slow'... cos they prioritize the accuracy over the speed..
    with the 1.4 lenses, u notice all of them.. 24, 35, 85 1.4 are slower than the 24-70 2.8 70200 2.8 kinds which are more forgiving to error cos of the depth of field.

any sample pic???

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I never use 35 f/2 so I can't compare. I find that its speed is normal on my D700 as I haven't tried to shoot fast-moving object with this lens yet. Anyway, which camera did you use?
    According to KenRockwell.com, if you use DX camera, it's better stick to the 35mm f1.8. The 35 f1.4G is designed for FX. However, Ken Rockwell maybe wrong. I have no idea yet
    i remember having the misfortune of reading an article, a camera review, from ken rockwell. till today, i still cannot quite forgive myself for the stupidity of my bashful youthfulness. woe is me, indeed!

till today, ken rockwell is the one and only fotographer who can give a review of a yet-to-be-released camera solely based on his own discretion and absolutely vivid imagination.

says much about him and his so-called reviews.

anyway, for DX version, i would suggest would-be buyers to give Sigma AF30 f1.4 a try. this is an amazing and under-rated lens.

just got mine for AP yday. susposedly 3rd lens sold from SL location and they have 10guys on the waiting list!

bookeh very nice, takes abit of practice at 1.4. AF is slower comp to 35mm f2 but pic comes out sharp imo(i will still use 35mm f2 for travel though...light compact+d3s body)

THE THING IS...

there is abit of AF hunting going on, *low light & close subject*. I have had instances I could not fire off, and it reminded me somewhat of the same experience i had with the canon 50mm 1.2 + 5d(i had it for 36hours and returned). something that occured during close distance and challenging lightning.

Again, this ONLY happens up close and challenging lighting(d3s body). I believe it could somewhat lens specific as in my brief experience i had slapped on my 24-70 immediately as i have had it on my side and it had fired off every shot under the same constraints(shot 100++)

BUT
    pic quality is very contrasty, sharp, very nice. I remember having gone through this af/hunting knickpick on the canon 50mm 1.2, it was a great lens nevertheless but that 50mm was abit too tight for my use and hence I could easily give it up. The new nikon 35mm 1.4 however just reignite all my lust for prime lens since canon days and its the first quality prime i have had in the nikon camp(i thought 14-24/24-70/70-200 do the job).

my further 2cents
    I will expect some trolls to kick up the slow af/hunting issue and topics like canon 35 1.4 vs nikon 35 1.4 bla bla but I think the new nikon 35mm is an exceptional lens and compliments well into nikon's recent succesful pipeline of prime lenses(24mm, 85mm) ..AND it beats the canon 35 1.4 imo.

Those peeps that jumped ship to nikon but still hold on to their canon primes for dear life can now....let them go in peace....

hahaha.. maybe we all have been fooled by ken at one point or another.

@kentwong81 : bro, same cam as yours, D700.

@ZeroDivine - thanks for the input. I have the screw driven primes and the AF-S zooms, but no AF-S primes to compare against.

Have not tried really with subject moving across the frame but have tried with continuous focus moving towards an object. Performs OK in that aspect with subject in most shots in focus as distance to subject changes.
    Nikon D80,D300,D700.Tokina 12-24,Tamron 90,Nikon 18-200, 70-200, 80-400, 50, 85, 17-55, 24-70 & no $

Quote Originally Posted by blueweed View Post
    THE THING IS...

there is abit of AF hunting going on, *low light & close subject*. I have had instances I could not fire off, and it reminded me somewhat of the same experience i had with the canon 50mm 1.2 + 5d(i had it for 36hours and returned). something that occured during close distance and challenging lightning.

Again, this ONLY happens up close and challenging lighting(d3s body). I believe it could somewhat lens specific as in my brief experience i had slapped on my 24-70 immediately as i have had it on my side and it had fired off every shot under the same constraints(shot 100++)
    That's normal. But if you are getting like > 10% missed shots on seemingly normal circumstances and with subjects which are slightly moving, and its not ultra challenging like 1/10s 1.4 ISO1600, then something is not right. 85/1.4 also not easy to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    i remember having the misfortune of reading an article, a camera review, from ken rockwell. till today, i still cannot quite forgive myself for the stupidity of my bashful youthfulness. woe is me, indeed!

till today, ken rockwell is the one and only fotographer who can give a review of a yet-to-be-released camera solely based on his own discretion and absolutely vivid imagination.

says much about him and his so-called reviews.

anyway, for DX version, i would suggest would-be buyers to give Sigma AF30 f1.4 a try. this is an amazing and under-rated lens.
    He has lot of friends, fans, and also foes mah.
    He also has received donations for some of the gears.

Have you checked his website ?
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/donate.htm

He has special page for Automatic Monthly Donations, from US$2 - US$50.
    Once you have subscribed, it will automatically deduct the money from your account.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    That's normal. But if you are getting like > 10% missed shots on seemingly normal circumstances and with subjects which are slightly moving, and its not ultra challenging like 1/10s 1.4 ISO1600, then something is not right. 85/1.4 also not easy to shoot.
    yup its only in low light/challenging circumstances and I must report I have taken out for a spin at B-gardens this evening and its 100% spot on

+sorry all, dont have any meaningful shots to post yet, all I have been doing is taking senseless shots and admiring the bokeh...guilty pleasures...

He has lot of friends, fans, and also foes mah.
    He also has received donations for some of the gears.

Have you checked his website ?
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/donate.htm

He has special page for Automatic Monthly Donations, from US$2 - US$50.
    Once you have subscribed, it will automatically deduct the money from your account.
    i dun consider myself his fan, fren or foe. i jus treat him as looney rooney. kekeke

waseh, donations siah!!

still remember he said he started the webby out of passion and love for fotography and he gets his $$ from doing shoots. hehehehe

well, who would get sick of $$? the more the merrier! HUAT AH!

it must have been quite a blessing to me for i've not been to his webby for years and i don't intend to break the cycle.

Are you all satisfied with the 35mm f1.4G?

Somehow I felt mine is not as sharp as my Sigma 50mm and the af sometimes might be frustating.

Does NSC do lens calibration? Thinking to bring it there for them to check ^^;

No such issue for my copy although it was bought in JB. It's sharper than the Nikon 50mm f1.4G that I used before at wide open f1.4.
    Anyway, sharpness is not the 1st priority for me. No need to be sharpest, as long as it is sharp then it's good enough. According to KenRockwell.com, only beginners will care about sharpness. Is Ken Rockwell right or wrong?
    Also I never test a lens to its extreme limit, like in extreme dark condition or capturing very fast moving cars, etc. As long as it can provide fantastic results for my normal usage, I'll be satisfied.
    Maybe it has the focusing issue like reported some of the 24mm f1.4G copies, which is common for the 1st batch shipment, but mine is luckily ok. You may send it to NSC and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by amachi View Post
    Are you all satisfied with the 35mm f1.4G?

Somehow I felt mine is not as sharp as my Sigma 50mm and the af sometimes might be frustating.

Does NSC do lens calibration? Thinking to bring it there for them to check ^^;
    Last edited by kentwong81; 15th December 2010 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    No such issue for my copy although it was bought in JB. It's sharper than the Nikon 50mm f1.4G that I used before at wide open f1.4.
    Anyway, sharpness is not the 1st priority for me. No need to be sharpest, as long as it is sharp then it's good enough. According to KenRockwell.com, only beginners will care about sharpness. Is Ken Rockwell right or wrong?
    Also I never test a lens to its extreme limit, like in extreme dark condition or capturing very fast moving cars, etc. As long as it can provide fantastic results for my normal usage, I'll be satisfied.
    Maybe it has the focusing issue like reported some of the 24mm f1.4G copies, which is common for the 1st batch shipment, but mine is luckily ok. You may send it to NSC and see what they say.
    Sharpness-wise, as I used Sigma 50mm and Nikon 24-70mm before, I would expect 35mm f1.4 to be at least on par with one of those. Well, maybe not with 24-70, but at least the sharpness should be on par with Sigma 50mm considering 35mm price tag is this high.

I'll pay a visit to NSC later today, see what they say

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast