Thread: calibrating monitor colour against camera LCD

Default calibrating monitor colour against camera LCD

Hi guys,
    having quite a big problem with respect to colour calibration.

My current primary setup is a canon 50D paired with a 24-105mm and I really like the colours and exposure that Im seeing out of my camera LCD when using the 'Neutral' picture style

However here's the thing, whenever I hook up the 50D to my monitor I realise that the images turn out ALOT less saturated and noticeably darker(underexposed) compared to what i see on the camera LCD screen. As for RAW files on LR3.2 , i use "Camera Neutral" profile setting to replicate(although not 100% similar) the Neutral picture style as DPP would. Truth be told, "Camera Standard" profile is much more similar to what i see on the camera LCD(w/ Neutral picture style).

End of the day, i have to spend a painstaking 15mins on each image trying to tune blacks, brightness, contrast, vibrance, saturation and individual colour saturation. This eats up my camera battery and isn't good towards LCD life as well.

Is there a way where I can find a decent import setting or at least a workflow process for me to determine my own favourite settings for RAW as well as JPEG images on Lightroom 3.2 ?
    Canon 5D Mark II

Default Re: calibrating monitor colour against camera LCD

I think the purpose of calibration is to ensure your display device is showing accurate colors which conforms to a "standard" on which everyone else who does calibration can see what you are trying to present.

For your case, you need to find out which of your display (camera lcd or monitor) is displaying wrong color, luminance, etc or are they both wrong? Twicking the settings of one to match the other might result in other people not seeing the way you want your photos to be if both are wrong. For all you know the brightness of your camera lcd might be too high.
    Last edited by slth123; 14th September 2010 at 01:34 PM.

i dnt know abt canon but nikon raw files are always underexpose and under saturated, gives more room for PP, so can be canon also same case?

Quote Originally Posted by slth123 View Post
    I think the purpose of calibration is to ensure your display device is showing accurate colors which conforms to a "standard" on which everyone else who does calibration can see what you are trying to present.

For your case, you need to find out which of your display (camera lcd or monitor) is displaying wrong color, luminance, etc or are they both wrong? Twicking the settings of one to match the other might result in other people not seeing the way you want your photos to be if both are wrong. For all you know the brightness of your camera lcd might be too high.
    Hi there,

I have seen various pictures thru my laptop monitor as well as other desktop monitors and I'm pretty sure the one displaying inaccurate colours is the camera LCD screen. I understand your point about brightness of the LCD screen and laptop monitor and I do make it a point to match their brightness as close as possible before any post-processing.

Unfortunately I am in love with the colours coming from the LCD screen and thus I would like to find an import setting which is able to reproduce the colours and exposure that I observe from my LCD screen on my laptop monitor as close as possible.

Is there any guide or tutorial that teaches me how to do so?
    Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    i dnt know abt canon but nikon raw files are always underexpose and under saturated, gives more room for PP, so can be canon also same case?
    RAW files, being unprocessed, is usually under saturated but I'd think exposure should be kept constant? After all, most people judge exposure thru the displayed image while the more professional photographers judge by histogram. For myself, I judge based on both
    Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by zarray View Post
    RAW files, being unprocessed, is usually under saturated but I'd think exposure should be kept constant? After all, most people judge exposure thru the displayed image while the more professional photographers judge by histogram. For myself, I judge based on both
    well, i do have same probs like you last time and exposure was in the list, so i'm jus guessing.

well, i learnt to live with it and my PP got faster, thou it still quite sian.

think it's the RAW files lah, i read that if take in jpeg then not much prob cause the LCD shows a jpeg version

Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    well, i do have same probs like you last time and exposure was in the list, so i'm jus guessing.

well, i learnt to live with it and my PP got faster, thou it still quite sian.

think it's the RAW files lah, i read that if take in jpeg then not much prob cause the LCD shows a jpeg version
    Unfortunately for my case, both RAW-converted JPEGs(with the use of Canon's DPP software) and in-camera JPEGs appear different when comparing between laptop monitor and camera LCD.

Sigh...quite sad. So much for finding the right camera setting to minimize PP time only to realise that the LCD image rendition is far-off from monitor image rendition.
    Canon 5D Mark II

Unfortunately for my case, both RAW-converted JPEGs(with the use of Canon's DPP software) and in-camera JPEGs appear different when comparing between laptop monitor and camera LCD.

Sigh...quite sad. So much for finding the right camera setting to minimize PP time only to realise that the LCD image rendition is far-off from monitor image rendition.
    i realize tht a smaller pic also looks diff, so seeing it on a big screen and small screen might matter too. hahaha, it might jus be me lah

Hi there,

I have seen various pictures thru my laptop monitor as well as other desktop monitors and I'm pretty sure the one displaying inaccurate colours is the camera LCD screen. I understand your point about brightness of the LCD screen and laptop monitor and I do make it a point to match their brightness as close as possible before any post-processing.

Unfortunately I am in love with the colours coming from the LCD screen and thus I would like to find an import setting which is able to reproduce the colours and exposure that I observe from my LCD screen on my laptop monitor as close as possible.

Is there any guide or tutorial that teaches me how to do so?
    In that case you shouldn't be calibrating your monitor to match your camera lcd. You can twick the photo after you import and save it as a preset. Next time when you import other photos you just need to apply the preset onto the photos. It should take less than 1 min.

Is there a way where I can find a decent import setting or at least a workflow process for me to determine my own favourite settings for RAW as well as JPEG images on Lightroom 3.2 ?
    LR has the ability to apply settings directly upon importing. You can record all your changes and create your own development presets which get's applied to all images then.
    But: bear in mind that the camera applies certain settings (e.g. WB) after analyzing the image how it was recorded. So the level of Auto WB correction will differ from image to image, depending on real conditions. LR cannot do this, unless you press the button "Auto Exposure" manually.
    But first: please calibrate your computer LCD. No point doing any editing without a clear reference point. Your camera LCD is far from being accurate. It's just a display for settings.
    EOS