Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: help @ the top

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Clive,

ANSWER ME YOU BLOODY COWARD!
    XXX Boy... what is wrong with u?????

your childish attacks on clive have done some serious disservice to yourself..

it looks as if his grandfather offended your grandfather and now you're out for a revenge...

cool down brother... lets keep this civilised.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    i mean, even alot of readers dun quite understand what im saying..is ok..at least there is soem real and appreciable feed back. soemthign to jog me outta this psycho downtime (as what boston rob calls "lowest-lows" in survivor lingo) people get to vent their thoughts and an avenue to let go soem steam too =) i mean, everybody reads something new n different and possibly learn more in soem way..no matter how slight..its just that from time to time i need a bit of shakign n scoldign to wake up from a bad dream. yeah. somethign like that =)

good

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there

When people say they've reach their top are just lost. We just need to bring them back to reality.....but need not be too harsh.

"He who throws mud loses ground"

But again diff guys, diff style.
    Last edited by Aton; 27th May 2004 at 12:10 AM.

mmm ifeel its sharp enuff.. unless under a microscope then maybe can see faint signs of cam shake..
    You know, this is part of serious advice and I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything. But seriously, this statement just backs up the belief that perhaps you have your standards set way too low. I cannot imagine anyone who has genuinely reached the top in photography being confident in saying that they can hand hold a camera steady for a full second, and then back that up by saying that his 4R print is passable.

You need to aim higher, I cannot honestly remember the last time I based sharpness or anything else on the basis of a 4R print.

4 .for dear jed and other equally puzzled people..those royal sons empire thing are just flowery language used to describe how life was liek back in 1992~1995. its kinda like a private joke thing..haha..u got to be in that famous school durign those years to fully get the picture..lolz so..yah, its just a private joke.. but yeah those were the good ol days man =)

Actually, I'm still no closer to understanding you. And the strange thing is, I was "in that famous school during those years" and I still don't in the least fully get that picture. At all.

The ironic thing is that you and I seem to have a fair bit in common. That "famous school", followed by the "famous" junior college (although I hasten to add that I didn't get thrown out), and then on to photography. We're both also 25. Admittedly, I will probably struggle to swim a single lap these days, forget 3.8km in 2.5hr as in your signature. But at the same time, I reckon (although I'm not claiming) I've done more in photography than you have, and on no account am I at the stage where I think that I have reached the top, let alone using that as the lead into a rather staggering claim that, in short, boils down to "I have arrived, accomplished everything I set out to do, and I'm bored now, nothing much poses a challenge any more".

The difference between you and me is, I'm still loving photography as much as the day I first picked up the camera, if not a whole lot more. You need to discover that love, otherwise clearly photography is not for you. If owning and using 1 series bodies and pro lenses is all that used to drive you, then clearly you are more of a technophile than a photographer. I own all that and more but for me it's just an avenue to take more, and hopefully better images.

And finally, a point that has already been made numerous times in this thread in many different ways. To borrow your language RE physical fitness, you are an "egotistical individual who is more arrogant than 90% of any randomly selected peers (circa 1979)." Try to sort that out too.

PS you still haven't answered my question. Are you at the top and have no where to go as per your first post, or are you a complete failure in life intermittently wracked by brain numbing bouts of clinical depression?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Hang on. What Clive says is one thing. But "afterall he is only 25"? I didn't know being 25 gave me a reason to do certain things which I'm not currently doing.
    no, of course being at 25 doesn't give him an excuse to do whatever he did. what i meant is that i don't expect clive, at 25, to speak about life like a 'been thru it all' wise old man.

yo brother jed..this is news to me...ever since i signed up a long in id here, somehow i was under the impression that u were somethign like..40+ years old..someone like Ian...a knowledgeable, wise old dude.. i was really surprised when u mentioned u r also 25...lolzz. i must be dreaming. ah that means u still have that pale yellow booklet containing everybody's names n address n contact? remember in the middle 2 pages there is this photo of everyone from class95 in their ECA attire posing infront of the assembly balcony? my gawd..i didnt know u n me were 2 small toots in that pic back then! small world man... u from GEP rite?

yah i think u hit it right: u r a real passionate true to the heart photographer, while i am a dabbler. something like a smiling joker trying to be jack of all trades. u had a real interest in photography..u know the detailed theory well wheareas i got convinced that photography is somethign i should try just for fun, to add on to my "jack's trade" base, after watching takashi sorimachi shoot so cooly with the f5 as a press photog in <overtime>...lolz! yes me a technophile. know a bit here n there.. roughly can shoot can already, none too discerning. no doubt about it. but i mean yeah its good u r committed to your art n the love of it. wow..the same famous school can produce both a true gentleman and a smiling joker..no wunder that school so famous..lolz!

as for whether really being on top or being fraught with regular bouts of depression..mmm actually neither. keke..frankly im not really recognised for anything (except perhaps for comign up wif a lot of crazy silly things to tok about) nor do i have real medical/clinical problems. lolz..i was just bored, thought too much and ranted a bit too much, wrote too much also...haiz sianz.

just now while watching k dorama on TCS 8, i had an idea. its a long ago idea but yeah, why not. i'll go try do some cooking. not maggie mee..maybe possibly anything...i'll look up soem ideas. one of the aims is to come up with an original dish..something health conscious perhaps..=)

get a sportscar . race competitively. The ultimate thrill . Street or Track. Try to be the best there

I think we should close this thread. Honestly the more I read the more confused I get. One minute Clive is at the top in photography the next he is just dabbling in it. My advise is get a close friend and really sit down and open up your heart to him/her. You need to untangle the knots in your life. You cannot be just dabbling in something and then say you've reached the top. I have been in photography for more than 20 years but I cannot say I am good at it. Others are better than me. But I try my best. Oh by the way I'm still learning. Like amny have suggested, go do something new but don't get bored with it after only a short time. Imagine how it would be like in a marriage if you get bored easily. So bro take it from an old timer there is more to life than reaching your goals. Do something spontaneous. Life itself is a goal you will never reached. There will always be something new in it. So smile, be happy, care for others and be careful....cause life will kick you in the ass every once in a while. It's sort of a wake up call for you to re-evaluate yourself.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I think we should close this thread. Honestly the more I read the more confused I get. One minute Clive is at the top in photography the next he is just dabbling in it. My advise is get a close friend and really sit down and open up your heart to him/her. You need to untangle the knots in your life. You cannot be just dabbling in something and then say you've reached the top. I have been in photography for more than 20 years but I cannot say I am good at it. Others are better than me. But I try my best. Oh by the way I'm still learning. Like amny have suggested, go do something new but don't get bored with it after only a short time. Imagine how it would be like in a marriage if you get bored easily. So bro take it from an old timer there is more to life than reaching your goals. Do something spontaneous. Life itself is a goal you will never reached. There will always be something new in it. So smile, be happy, care for others and be careful....cause life will kick you in the ass every once in a while. It's sort of a wake up call for you to re-evaluate yourself.

Clive,

Really sorry to use harsh words on you. But pls listen to my advice :-
    'Be humble'.

Rdgs,

Clive,

'Be humble'.

Rdgs,
    awwww............so sweet

Clive,

'Be humble'.

Rdgs,
    yes Sir

Talking

yes Sir
    No prob!

yo brother jed..this is news to me...ever since i signed up a long in id here, somehow i was under the impression that u were somethign like..40+ years old..someone like Ian...a knowledgeable, wise old dude.. i was really surprised when u mentioned u r also 25...lolzz. i must be dreaming.
    Clive, age is not relevant to maturity, Jed is wise beyond his years in many areas and that is a good and positive thing to be in the professional world of photography.

My suggestion is to do something completely different, take up surfing for example, or go and play cricket (that will keep you frustrated for a very long time)....
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

just stay happy!!

remember the korean pop song by kpop group <shin hwa>? they have this song called "perfect man". i feel that i am just like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Clive, age is not relevant to maturity, Jed is wise beyond his years in many areas

eh clive, can start singing your korean pop song to Mr Jed liao...

Now that you've fulfilled all your earthly desires maybe you should go meditate, seek the meaning of life and achieve Nirvana... or set higher goals for yourself like

1) Swim around Singapore and raise funds for charity
    2) Run from here to Thailand and back and raise funds for charity
    3) Go to Singapore Sports Council and tell them you want to enrol in the decathlon and win Singapore's first gold Olympic medal.

hmm..

how come i've never heard of famous sons and what royal sons of the what empire.. ? hurh ?

lol.

give clive a break. he simply posted for opinion, he did not offend anybody. why are you all offended? as zekai said, the internet is not a medium of proper communication, you're reading a sentence and you could perceive the writer as angry while typing, or smiling while typing. it's all your own perception.

as for challenging him to take photos, i'm glad it's stopped. i don't see any of the american idol contestants challenging simon cowell to sing better than them.

to clive : photography is never ending. i like how somebody put it - it's how you convey a scene rather than just record. try to achieve something streetshooter has in his sig : to change every perceive subject into a subject, or something along that line.

all the best to everyone in their lives.

it's nice to see members here dicussing more than just photography. heartfelt stuff. great.

IMHO. Success is a state of mind. feel free. everyone's entitled to feel being at the top of the world. everyone.

I agree with Jed, interestingly I would be your senior at your so called "royal sons" whatever crap you wanna call it all the way from sec to JC. however I don't understand this title or insider joke nor do I understand the need for you to refer to it. I doubt everyone really wants to know which school you come from.

I think you have a problem with self esteem. Not flaming you here, but there's a difference btwn self confidence and arrogance bred from low self esteem. if you're empty inside, you'll always feel the need to blow your own trumpet, to always want to feel superior to others. but if you're simply self confident, you know and believe what you possess, there's absolutely no need to tell anyone else. And I think whatever little you have listed is peanuts. makes we wanna laugh in all honesty and frankness. things like "reversi champion" "wardrobe colour coordinator champion" and one of the best ... "veteren jpop dude" spring to mind, c'mon look at these objectively and think for yourself, just what in the world are you talking about? I"m gg to be a bit harsh here but you're already 25, and you're harping on things like reversi champion? wardrobe? jpop? and feeling very very proud about these? doesn't sound like you're very connected to life, how about things like career, family, fulfilment of dreams?

On photography (since this is a photo forum after all) you keep wavering btwn arrogance and humility (sincere or not? donno?) which is very confusing and speaks volumes. for all your gear, have you achieved anything substantial other than your tack sharp 4R print? competition prizes? exhibitions? reputation? if not the ONLY thing I think you possess bragging rights to, is the good fortune of being able to afford very expensive gear. look at the pros here, or rather those who do it for a living, do you see them boasting about their abilities? do you see them posting their pics regularly? do you think they have less expensive equipment than you? learn from them some humility.

here's my advice since you started the post asking for advice to begin with: look at yourself again, see your strengths, accept them as good fortune, don't blow them up, feel lucky, NOT proud, next see your weaknesses, dwell on them, focus on eliminating them. next time post a thread on your weaknessess and ask for advice on how to eliminate them, I think you'll get a much more positive and constructive response.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast