Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: help @ the top

Clive,

I hope you find your direction soon. Life may be confusing and tough, but trying to find simplicity in this complex world may be your ultimate bliss.

I am quite disturbed as to how the young pple of our times feel they have experienced the world but yet not know how beautiful life can be or how much more life has to offer. They sulk and harbour dangerous ideas in the name of soul searching.

Think of simple things, how you can offer to society, or even how you can make your loved ones happy. Think of how you can make a difference in another's life. Instead of dwelling on your own problems, think of your blessings, think of blessing people with the blessings you had. Think simple.

I hope you truly listen to what some pple in this forum have to say, you do not know everything, nobody knows everything. Humility is often the key to a happier life. Pride brings you no where.

Finally, keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthunter
    XXXBoy...happy waiting hor...!
    This Clive guy telling me that he can take 1" handheld shoot using pro bodies SLR with tack sharp result about a year ago. Well, I been bloody waiting for his pictures ever since....
    Well, Mr. C still remember me? Unfortunately I don't have D100 anymore, but I have D1x maybe you can take 2" exposure handheld with this camera and get tack sharp result. Then I will learn your heavenly skill ..........
    This guy only Tua-Kang only la...you believe meh?
    Actually I had met many Tua-Kang-Yao-Siew like that jerk before..talk big only but cannot take good pictures.
    I am really waiting for that jerk pictures jus wanna see how 'top' is he!
    Maybe even me (not top yet) can even beat him flat with my Contax T3 compact camera! Come la...changelle me la

hmm..... leica....contax.... top-of-the-line-pro-slr....

still dunno which one produces the best photos....
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quite simple. Whatever camera Clive uses produces the best pictures.

So Clive, you still haven't answered my non-confrontational question. Please do. No red letters, no caps, no shouting.

And what Royal Society with Royal Suns thing in RI are you talking about?

Clive,

Get a wife lah. And a mistress. And a few girlfriends. That would be challenging Right?

And if you want to make photography more challenging, try to earn your first $20,000 from it even you don't need the money. I can see taking photos to hang on the wall or to post in a photo forum would be just too boring for you.

Enjoy life!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    This guy only Tua-Kang only la...you believe meh?
    Actually I had met many Tua-Kang-Yao-Siew like that jerk before..talk big only but cannot take good pictures.
    I am really waiting for that jerk pictures jus wanna see how 'top' is he!
    Maybe even me (not top yet) can even beat him flat with my Contax T3 compact camera! Come la...changelle me la
    even though he is not willing to take you on, what gives you the right to talk like that? you are certainly an example of humility and decorum.

come on people, we're not here to make enemies.
    we're here to talk about photography (in a non-confrontational way, of course).

why get to worked up?

relak lah.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    i dunno..as in like, given a scene rite, i can roughly imagine how the pic turns out in a say 5R print.
    that's not my point. i'm not concerned with whether you can imagine how the pic turns out. i'm asking how you can improve the pic itself! is that the best your imagination can do?

in my view photography is not about passively being "given a scene" to record (as you seem to imply above), it's about creating a vision to convey through a photograph.

don't just record for me what i could have seen with my own eyes; show me your unique vision of the world...

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    help!

i.ve sort of reached the top in many things

1. having "been there n done that" in the world of SLRs with canon 1 series pro bodies and L lenses, i find no more kick in slr photography. its coz 99% of the time wehn i see a scene with my eyes, i know how a pic is goign to turn out on film. thats why even digital SLR photography, with the chimping advantage, will not give me any kick anymore. the only thing that gives me kicks is shooting events with canon 1 series pro bodies and L lenses but not every event i get to shoot lor. and even with zek's G2, it basically goes back to the old days of PnS shootign + the chimping advantage and filmfree hassle..ie just soem good candids, thats all. i have no interest in nature and macro and MF and advanced photo theory and film developing and studio stuff and all those other niche areas... so photography to me is either : (1) shooting events with canon 1 series pro bodies and L lenses or (2) fun with digicams. so i guess i have reached the peak and theres no more to do as far as photography is concerned...haiz sianz

2. i am now living out my wildest childhood dreams of swim/bike/run and being a physically fit individual who is aerobically fitter than 90% of any randomly selected peers (circa 1979). so i am at the top already. last tiem they all outrun me but now i beat them 3 to 1. and at most the next big thing is going UW and taking my digicam to shoot marine life...but coz i have no interest in nature stuff, at most i will just shoot UW for fun and never bother to id all the fishes/ etc.

3. my diet is already optimally healthy: lots of carbos, 33% protein, lots of fruits n veges and some supplements (glucosamine+isotonics+vitamins+ healthy beverages), and occasional snacks.

4. my original quest for j pop is also more or less over. now, any new group comes along (eg ai otsuka), i just download their songs and thats it. not that the last time jpop songs no longer sound good, i mean jpop will always be the best thigns that life has to offer, it has become such a good staple that now the "new jpop stuff " kick is getting less n less. now i am a veteran jpop dude.

5. my reversi score at yahoo games is at a healthy average of 1900+. soemtimes cross to 2000+, sometimes meet a proggy cheater or bad connection and drop back to 1800+ . ie iam already a very strong human player, so the kick is also getting lesser. and i also dont waste tiem n money to play all those stupid games like CS, quake, soccer, FFX, and whatever rubbishy computer games there are right now.

6. i have solved all the colour combination problems in my wardrobe already. ie now i will never have problems choosing clothes/shoes/bags/accessories already. now i can be an official "colour consultant" for anyone still stuck wif colour combination woes .

7. i have solved all my money problems already. no more debts. now all i have to do is just wait for time to pass..then my money will grow. of course my spendign will continue..but it will always be in control from now onwards.

remember the korean pop song by kpop group <shin hwa>? they have this song called "perfect man". i feel that i am just like that.

can anyone help me suggest anything so that i can experience a "kick" from doign something again? pls dont tell me to drink beer/shoot nature or wildlife/ rear pets/ fly kite/or any non constructive comments...

coz i believe even at the top, there should still be some way to experience soem "kick" form somewhere else..but where??

y dun u get sumone to share all u'r interest with?
    it'll b much more constructive.

geez Clive,

life must be more interesting for you now after posting this thread. Look at the challenges hurled at you!!!!

come on guys, give him a break. afterall he is only 25?

peace.

Hang on. What Clive says is one thing. But "afterall he is only 25"? I didn't know being 25 gave me a reason to do certain things which I'm not currently doing.

In all fairness, what clive said is not exactly humble.

Internet lack the human touch and just plainy reading, we lose out a lot of other information. Take what he say with a huge pinch of salt.

Well i know Clive personally, he is a pretty nice guy. He is just at the phase where he need to set new goals for himself. I did see many amazing goal he attain from a non-swimmer to swimming 30 laps. (oh yah, did i mentioned he learn swimming from a book)

well, those are not exactly hard to attain or anything but i do see a lot of determination in this guy.

To those who put him down, i have nothing to say. To those who are rude and taunt people .... you think you are any better. Calling people names like rapist... comon. Be objective.
    Last edited by zekai; 26th May 2004 at 10:27 PM.

Well, i do know Clive in real life too, and to me, he's a really nice guy..

hrm.. actually, i think the one making a fool of himself here is XXX_BOY =)

agree with zekai. come on, give him a break. don't make personal remarks if you don't know him. judging a person just based on his thread doesn't say well for the replier, too. his original thread wasn't confrontational at all...he's just sharing with us the goals and achievements he had set for himself and reached. correct him on his seemingly lack of humility, yes, but have you considered why he made such a thread in the first place? believe him or not, like he said, he has had a bad childhood...something not everyone can understand. anyway, its good he's taken all the comments, good and bad, in his stride

Angry

Now that jerk Tua-Kang become my fault liao?!
    Then as his friend, you guys should tell him to humble abit la.

Yeah, when you stop calling people names =)

Default Whats are buddies for??

Yoyo, I gotta run liao lo.....
    His friend come to back him up liao lo...wew-we! Whats are buddies for?
    Last edited by XXX Boy; 26th May 2004 at 10:54 PM.

well, for a start you can be more civil. Which part of him tua kang. Did he say his picture is better than yours. But you did challenge him for his picture.......

He never compared with anyone but rather his own goals. What he type there was factual. Did he say he is an award winning photographer. He has reach the standard he set himself. (good or not, we are not qualified to judge)

I agree it was not humble but it never warranted your personal attack on him.

As his friend, i will defintely encourage him to set higher and new targets.

Default Doink...

Alamak...this saga not over yet ah??

[Added] Actually wanted to leave the post as per the above sentence, but decided to be more constructive...

Anyway, let bygones be bygones, clive didn't personally attack anyone, so just let the matter rest. For those who feel this is one helluva arrogant fella, he probably is...so let it be! I hope that didn't hurt anyone?

Let's all have a big heart and let this matter rest...let's save the kilobytes in the database and the bandwidth for more interesting things!
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 26th May 2004 at 11:21 PM.

aiyo relac lah..lolz..my pms mood swing is over oredi..hehe..ok what happened was i felt bored and possibly overwhelmed by lots of concurrent thigns happening these few days so i ranted too much too hard..and..alot of readers took my ranting too seriously and feedbacked wif a lot of too serious views

1. for all the serious feedback, yes, especially the part on humility, they are true and valid. on hindsight, beign the thrill-seekign crazy joker i am, such serious views i always overlook ie taking things for granted. there is this fuji tv jp dorama show starring Shingo from SMAP, its called <be nice to people>. a heartwarming show, all the nice values..etc. its when i run out of thrills, i forget to be humble and step into temporary arrogance. so i got to work on that. sorta liek a personality flaw..haha

2. for our dear knighthunter..well, yes, the exposure was : f2, 1 sec, focussed at 30+m away, 930pm at chijmes, kodak tcn400 iso set at 400, exposure comp set to -1. lens=nikkor 50/1.8, body=f100+mb16. the pic was printed out to 4R and it was underexposed by about one stop. grain and the telltale underexposure on print ..yes it can be seen on the pic. mmm ifeel its sharp enuff.. unless under a microscope then maybe can see faint signs of cam shake..haha..anyway..zek has seen the pic b4 but it was part of a pile of prints that i casually showed him and supposedly he also casually looked thru u were waiting for 1 year coz during that time i was servign my last 11 months of NS and had no money no scanner no time etc usual excuse..so the next time wolfie organises a paintball shoot, i promise to bring the pic along to show u. can? can ah..so dont wait for me..er..wait for wolfie..keke ;-)

3. for dear xxxboy..er i dont mind he skewer me left up down left right inside out..hehe..coz thsi is just a tokkok session..after all, he is a leica master..somethign liek yoda that level one..so he get angry wif a lost direction L lens joker like me..its not surprising. anyway it helps him de-stress too! =) u know, its just like <survivor>: they kill each other upside down i nthe show but at the end of it all they have this reunion thing where they trash it all out, laugh at each other and have a rolling good time

4 .for dear jed and other equally puzzled people..those royal sons empire thing are just flowery language used to describe how life was liek back in 1992~1995. its kinda like a private joke thing..haha..u got to be in that famous school durign those years to fully get the picture..lolz so..yah, its just a private joke.. but yeah those were the good ol days man =)

i mean, even alot of readers dun quite understand what im saying..is ok..at least there is soem real and appreciable feed back. soemthign to jog me outta this psycho downtime (as what boston rob calls "lowest-lows" in survivor lingo) people get to vent their thoughts and an avenue to let go soem steam too =) i mean, everybody reads something new n different and possibly learn more in soem way..no matter how slight..its just that from time to time i need a bit of shakign n scoldign to wake up from a bad dream. yeah. somethign like that =)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast