Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 550D Newbie here!

Default Re: 550D Newbie here!

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    okie, don't listen to all the price talk, since you already spent the $$ no point thinking negatively and upset yourself.. just know that next time you need to do 'price' homework first before purchasing...

then yes, please get a better filter, and not the Stein*#&$) one..

and lastly, for video, if you are recording at max resolution and all then its only natural to be limited by ur card.. and also video-ing for long periods subject ur sensor to larger amount of light and may heat up... just like using liveview for too long..
    yeah.. I actually wanted to do some research first but my father just suddenly told me that we were going to buy. So really had no time to research.. i have been to John 3:16 before. But it was closed on that day.

And what other Filters can i get? I dont think i have the money to spend on another filter already. And if i get a new one, what do I do with this Stein$%^&* one?
    Last edited by beebeeice; 14th September 2010 at 12:40 AM.

if got money then buy b+w. (Since we are talking about how lousy filters affect "quality")

no money then make due with what you have.

if you get a new one, you can put vaseline around the old one to do some weird effect. lol. do whatever la you wanna give to a friend that wants/just to start/stating also can.

easy.

Read the forum posting below. Looks like Class 4 is under specs for movie recording. Class 6 is minimum with some cards in the borderline case. To be very sure, use Class 10. I know, this is higher cost.

Here's the link:

http://vimeo.com/groups/eos550d/forumthread:13671

Quote Originally Posted by beebeeice View Post
    i got my stuff from Harvey Norman at Funan.. Wanted to go John 3:16 at first. But then i see Harvey Norman offer so many thing, i kena dumbfounded XD
    Never do your homework!!
    Welcome to CS!!
    Last edited by Hollander; 14th September 2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Canon EOS 7D| EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM| EF-S 15-85mm IS|580EX II

From wad I'be read and learnt so far, I think its the class of ur card limiting the recording.. cox the card can't write fast enough.. that's why it'll stop after several seconds.. well, at least this is what they say at the product training by Canon as well.. maybe you should sign up for it too? It's free anyway.. and you'll learn some stuffs from there if you're totally new to your cam!

Enjoy shooting!
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Sigh. I geuss I gotta get a better class card. Actually bought this cam cause I thought that I would be able to record videos down, since I go to a lot of concerts. The guy at john 3:16 told me that rather get this to record videos than camcorders..
    Ok, new problem. Lets say I want to record a video at 720p for AT LEAST 2 hours. Which card and where do I get them locally?

Welcome to CS ^^
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

As many here have advised, you can get a class 10 SDHC, you can check out memory world at funan, they have rather good deals for memory cards

i have already dropped the resolution to 720p at 50fps.. still recording at a few secs
    I think 720p at 25fps will be smooth enough. If not, at least get a class 6 or 8 SD card. As long as you record in HD, a faster SD will be needed.
    500px Mobile “The most important things in life aren't things”

Sigh. I geuss I gotta get a better class card. Actually bought this cam cause I thought that I would be able to record videos down, since I go to a lot of concerts. The guy at john 3:16 told me that rather get this to record videos than camcorders..
    Ok, new problem. Lets say I want to record a video at 720p for AT LEAST 2 hours. Which card and where do I get them locally?
    Hi,

Welcome to CS and the 550D family.

There is a file size limit for each movie clip, 4GB. This is ~ 12 mins of recording for 720P. Which means in 720P HD movie mode, 550D will produces approximately 1.7GB MOV files per 5 min clip.

Therefore if you want to record 2 hours of continuous video, this is not possible.
    But if you are willing to have a slight pause for the files to be written to the card, then for a 2 hour recording, you would need ~ 40GB card.
    Guess for your case, for recording concerts, you would have to pause between each songs/performance and hope that they do not last more than 12 mins.

Another fact, SDHC cards limit is 32GB, you would need to look at SDXC cards, which would be way out of your budget.

To answer your question, you would need to get SDXC cards if you do not which to swap the cards out during recording, which I do not think any of the shops here are carrying them as stocks, too expensive. Or get multiple 8/16GB Class 6 cards from SLS. Google for the price list.

cheers,
    Last edited by toothie; 14th September 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toothie View Post
    Hi,

Welcome to CS and the 550D family.

There is a file size limit for each movie clip, 4GB. This is ~ 12 mins of recording for 720P. Which means in 720P HD movie mode, 550D will produces approximately 1.7GB MOV files per 5 min clip.

Therefore if you want to record 2 hours of continuous video, this is not possible.
    But if you are willing to have a slight pause for the files to be written to the card, then for a 2 hour recording, you would need ~ 40GB card.
    Guess for your case, for recording concerts, you would have to pause between each songs/performance and hope that they do not last more than 12 mins.

Another fact, SDHC cards limit is 32GB, you would need to look at SDXC cards, which would be way out of your budget.

To answer your question, you would need to get SDXC cards if you do not which to swap the cards out during recording, which I do not think any of the shops here are carrying them as stocks, too expensive. Or get multiple 8/16GB Class 6 cards from SLS. Google for the price list.

cheers,
    Argh crap.. shouldnt have listened to the guy at John 3:16 T_T.. he really convinced me that the 550D is better or equivalent to a HD Camcorder.. ah well.. guess i gotta get a damn friggin Class 6/10 SD Card. T_T

and.. i haz another problem. is it normal for one eye to be blurry?

Cause after taking many pictures, one of my eye seems to be blurry. And i cant really see things clearly.

I use my right eye to see through the viewfinder. My left eye is the one that is affected.

lol. use your left eye to shoot.

Cause after taking many pictures, one of my eye seems to be blurry. And i cant really see things clearly.

I use my right eye to see through the viewfinder. My left eye is the one that is affected.
    Maybe you squinted too hard for long periods of time, rest or eyedrops might help

Because you squinted too long. Make sure to give your eyes a rest, look at distant objects, etc
    Alpha

PHEW!! I Thought i had to get glasses or something..

Another question. Roughly how much is a class 10 16GB SDHC card? Googled and i cant really find Singapore prices.

Argh crap.. shouldnt have listened to the guy at John 3:16 T_T.. he really convinced me that the 550D is better or equivalent to a HD Camcorder.. ah well.. guess i gotta get a damn friggin Class 6/10 SD Card. T_T
    he's not exactly wrong..

but you didn't tell him that you wanted to shoot 2 hours continuous~!!!!! heck man, i wasn't expecting such a thing too lor...

its nice to shoot video, short clips~! not FULL CONCERTS~! lol...
    don't even think about it la.. if you really wanna video full concerts go get a small handicam...

use the camera to the max of its wonderful capabilities...
    it will give you inspiring photos, and awesome video clips..

just unlikely that it will give you 2 hour concerts...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by Diluted View Post
    From wad I'be read and learnt so far, I think its the class of ur card limiting the recording.. cox the card can't write fast enough.. that's why it'll stop after several seconds.. well, at least this is what they say at the product training by Canon as well.. maybe you should sign up for it too? It's free anyway.. and you'll learn some stuffs from there if you're totally new to your cam!

Enjoy shooting!

I already signed up for e product training on 27th Sep.

PHEW!! I Thought i had to get glasses or something..

Another question. Roughly how much is a class 10 16GB SDHC card? Googled and i cant really find Singapore prices.
    Memory world at funan selling class 10 16gb at $55 and 32gb at $115, not sure if the offer is still available, you can go down and check. Brand not sure also

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    he's not exactly wrong..

but you didn't tell him that you wanted to shoot 2 hours continuous~!!!!! heck man, i wasn't expecting such a thing too lor...

its nice to shoot video, short clips~! not FULL CONCERTS~! lol...
    don't even think about it la.. if you really wanna video full concerts go get a small handicam...

use the camera to the max of its wonderful capabilities...
    it will give you inspiring photos, and awesome video clips..

just unlikely that it will give you 2 hour concerts...
    hmm.. yea.. maybe i should just record the favourite parts..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast