Thread: Drobo and hard disk specs

Default Drobo and hard disk specs

Question for you Drobo users. Does the cache level of the harddisk matter? Mainly because WD has 3 different 2TB HDDs and the main difference between them is the amount of cache (32MB vs 64MB) and the Caviar Black is just much more expensive than the Cavier Green.

So it is worth going for the more expensive one? Or is capacity all that matters when you chuck it in a Drobo?

Default Re: Drobo and hard disk specs

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    Question for you Drobo users. Does the cache level of the harddisk matter? Mainly because WD has 3 different 2TB HDDs and the main difference between them is the amount of cache (32MB vs 64MB) and the Caviar Black is just much more expensive than the Cavier Green.

So it is worth going for the more expensive one? Or is capacity all that matters when you chuck it in a Drobo?
    Drobo was designed at a time when HD cache was only 8MB then. So the more the merrier. What is more important is MTBF which will be the failure rate of HDD during 24/7 operation. I have been using WD Green in my home server for the past 6 years without problem. Having said that, I also have HD that fail on me within half a year. It was debated in CS for quite awhile as to which brand was more reliable.

You won't go wrong with Seagate and WD.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Default Re: Drobo and hard disk specs

With Ethernet and the Drobo controller in between I doubt that the difference will be very big. When using the disks directly at the motherboard / onboard storage controller of a server system the difference is more obvious.
    EOS