Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

  1. #21

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    I will get canon 5D2 because of HD recording. Not sure if full HD.
    Although my camera is nikon.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Me not sure whether to have char kway tiao or hokkien mee for lunch tomolo ?

  3. #23

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    to users that have tried both the canon and nikon, is it true that nikon has a faster AF? i have tried d300 vs my 7d, found that d300 focus is a tad faster than my 7d, and of course, the images are a lil sharper too...

    perhaps it takes a L lens to bring out the same feel on my 7D...

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    5DmarkII or D700 ??? or a used D3 worth to try ?
    Please understand that on a D3, noise levels are quite high also. It doesn't mean that just because it is a FF, there is no noise. But with the noise in the D3, you still have very good details. So when you do NR, it will look better.

    If you really want performance and super low noise, go for the D3s.

  5. #25
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    U're absolutely correct bro, it appears until f/2.8. Any smaller than that wouldn't be so obvious. Back to the topic, I think D700 has one advantage on this part as the 51-points AF + 3D tracking will help to resolve this kind of back-focus issue coz I can simply move the AF-point to the desired area while recomposing, but how about any other aspects like image quality, sharpness, WB sensor, build quality and high-ISO performance compared to 5DmarkII ???
    for the note, that 51-points AF + 3D tracking will not fix ur back/front-focus problem, u need to calibrate the lens or trial and error with the micro adjust function either on D700 or 5Dmk2 to fix it, cheers

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Don't misunderstand. But such questions have almost no answers ... I have often discussed why we chose specific brands with my fellow colleagues. Gets us nowhere.
    Best solution, get both. You would then need deep pockets for good lenses from both brands + the mother of all dry cabinets.

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by willdoang View Post
    for the note, that 51-points AF + 3D tracking will not fix ur back/front-focus problem, u need to calibrate the lens or trial and error with the micro adjust function either on D700 or 5Dmk2 to fix it, cheers
    He was not talking about front/back focusing due to lens AF accuracy.

    He was talking about OOF problems when he used the compose-focus-recompose technique due to too thin DoF.

  8. #28
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    He was not talking about front/back focusing due to lens AF accuracy.

    He was talking about OOF problems when he used the compose-focus-recompose technique due to too thin DoF.
    my bad, just got up when post this, brain still half way starting up lol , in this case i think D700 will do a bit better IMO but from the TS needs i think either 5Dmk2 or D700 would suffice

  9. #29

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    Thanks for your tips alcohollywood... I read some review saying that D700 performs better in hi-ISO (less noise compared to 5DmII) under low light situations but I'm not sure how big is the difference.
    If I scale down the image to 70-75% of the original 21MPx from 5DmII, I assume I would get a sharper image rather than the full-size 12MPx from D700. Let me know if I'm wrong
    as a wedding photographer, why are u shooting at high ISO?

    Im not a wedding photographer, but every single wedding I attended, the photographers will be taking indoor shoots during the wedding with flash. ISO should be as low as possible.

    Outdoor shots even more chance to use multiple flash or natural light, so again high ISO isnt needed.

  10. #30
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    as a wedding photographer, why are u shooting at high ISO?

    Im not a wedding photographer, but every single wedding I attended, the photographers will be taking indoor shoots during the wedding with flash. ISO should be as low as possible.

    Outdoor shots even more chance to use multiple flash or natural light, so again high ISO isnt needed.
    not all wedding photographers uses flash... it depends on their shooting styles. Some only uses it when they have to, usually they are shooting with primes and higher ISO (but if you are using 5DMKII, the ISO control is so good that even if you use ISO 800-6400, the noise level is not very significant and visible as compared to entry level DSLR).

  11. #31
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    as a wedding photographer, why are u shooting at high ISO?

    Im not a wedding photographer, but every single wedding I attended, the photographers will be taking indoor shoots during the wedding with flash. ISO should be as low as possible.

    Outdoor shots even more chance to use multiple flash or natural light, so again high ISO isnt needed.
    Errrmm...

    have you shot with flash in low light environment before?

  12. #32
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    not all wedding photographers uses flash... it depends on their shooting styles. Some only uses it when they have to, usually they are shooting with primes and higher ISO (but if you are using 5DMKII, the ISO control is so good that even if you use ISO 800-6400, the noise level is not very significant and visible as compared to entry level DSLR).
    Even with flash, need to bump ISO up to get a balance of ambient lighting and subject lighting...

    If shoot at base ISO with flash, most of the pictures will look like those from PnS - lighted subjects but dark dark or black background.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Even with flash, need to bump ISO up to get a balance of ambient lighting and subject lighting...

    If shoot at base ISO with flash, most of the pictures will look like those from PnS - lighted subjects but dark dark or black background.

    agreed with daredevil.. even with flash, ISO & aperture needs to adjust to closely match the desired shutter speed too, in order to achieve the 1/focal length rule.

    Different photographers have their unique style.
    Indeed 5Dm2 has a good control in higher ISO..
    Last edited by hiikaru; 20th September 2010 at 02:11 PM.

  14. #34
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by hiikaru View Post
    agreed with daredevil.. even with flash, ISO & aperture needs to adjust to closely match the desired shutter speed too, in order to achieve the 1/focal length rule.

    Different photographers have their unique style.
    Indeed 5Dm2 has a good control in higher ISO..
    Actually 1/focal length rule is not as critical in flash photography because flash is very fast light, and it is able to freeze motion.

    High ISO is so as to expose the background properly so as not to drag too long a shutter speed.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    as a wedding photographer, why are u shooting at high ISO?

    Im not a wedding photographer, but every single wedding I attended, the photographers will be taking indoor shoots during the wedding with flash. ISO should be as low as possible.

    Outdoor shots even more chance to use multiple flash or natural light, so again high ISO isnt needed.
    I don't use the flash for indoor shoots unless if the lighting requires me to do so and I will use the flash to fill the subject as much as possible to keep the balance between foreground and background intensity.
    The hi-ISO is more needed for outdoor-casual night photos in the pre-wedding sessions, many clients like this style (especially in the CBD area) and normally they asked me to capture the natural lighting so I have to get the correct exposure of the backgrounds as well.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    I had the same problem a month ago, and I bought the 5D mk II. So, what I can say is this:
    - AF is great, I really can't see an advantage of a 51point AF
    - high ISO, well I really don't know if I will ever use the high ISO performance the mk II offers, I mean how many times are there that you really need more than 3200 ISO (I'm not criticizing, just pointing out that this camera performs really well in low light - I just had a shoot recently, it was getting dark, no flash, f/5.6, ISO 100, 24-105mm lens, and I just couldn't believe the quality of the image in that light situation)

    Summa summarum:
    Both great cameras, you can't go wrong with either one of them. In the end I liked the 5D mk II better even though I had a Nikon system before that.





    -

  17. #37

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    I attended Ms Singapore (World) this year. All photojournalists used Canon, 1DIV or 5DII. If you used all 51 pts from D700, its like using P&S AF, too slow.

  18. #38
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by KW Phua View Post
    I attended Ms Singapore (World) this year. All photojournalists used Canon, 1DIV or 5DII. If you used all 51 pts from D700, its like using P&S AF, too slow.
    Could it be they were sponsored, rather than a canon-better-than-nikon-or-vice-versa thing?

  19. #39

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by KW Phua View Post
    I attended Ms Singapore (World) this year. All photojournalists used Canon, 1DIV or 5DII. If you used all 51 pts from D700, its like using P&S AF, too slow.
    If they all, the photojournalists used Canon, 1DIV or 5DII, were to jump off a bridge, Would you follow them?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Advice needed - Canon 5DmarkII or Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Could it be they were sponsored, rather than a canon-better-than-nikon-or-vice-versa thing?
    Astute observation
    “Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •