Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How often do you need a monopod?

  1. #1

    Default How often do you need a monopod?

    Hey guys,

    I am planning to get a sirui tripod. I had been reading abt other previous post, the basic of choosing a tripod are weight,
    Sturdiness and price.

    I had choose to go with sturdiness and weight, reason being the usage will be more traveling.
    The heaviest set up will be 550d + grip + 10-22mm.




    Pardon for the long winded introduction.
    I am currently deciding between sirui T2204 and N2204.

    N2204 comes with a detactable monopod which I wonder how often does a photographer require it.
    I am not into sports photography, most of my outing will be landscape and portrait. Whenever I am in a confine space, I will usually extend the legs of the tripod without spreading apart. This will act as a tempoary monopod.

    Can someone pls share ur view and experience.
    Thk u
    Canon

  2. #2

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    it depends on what you shoot.

    i think a monopod might be more useful for things like macro (daytime).

    for me, i primarily shoot landscapes, architecture and cats. so a tripod will do, i don't need a monopod.

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    If you have the budget,why not go for the one with monopod option?You'll never know when you'll get a lens which needs a monopod for support

  4. #4

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    Monopod is useful (to me) when the place I am going has little space for my tripod to spread its legs or when I need to move around (e.g. birding with walking around looking for them) and I need the extra support from the monopod. I find it is faster to set up or keep a monopod compared to a tripod and saving such time might be crucial if say, I see a bird somewhere and it might fly away anytime. So i just need to "pull" out 1 leg rather than 3 legs.

    If you go hiking, your monopod can be ur treking stick too hahha.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    I use my monopod when I use my 300mm. That's the only time I use it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    Almost everytime. It works very well when you have heavy glass, limited space to function and expected to stay there for possibly hours.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    As a guide:

    Shuttle speed < 1/30s = Handheld
    Shuttle speed 1/30s - 1/4s = Monopod
    ...With IS,SSS,VS, etc enabled

    Shuttle speed > 1/4s = Tripod
    ...With IS,SSS,VS, etc disabled

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    I use my monopod as a boom for lifting my cameras into the air ^^
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  9. #9
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    I got the N2204, monopod option is one of the main reasons I went for it... Sure, I've used it at least once so far... If you only shoot Landscape, you probably won't need it so much. But if you use your DSLR like your second eye, and given the cramp conditions of Singapore... a Monopod is good to have, if you budget permits it... Take it this way, once you got the N2204, you probably won't need to think about monopods in the future... (One less item to hang around in your room).
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  10. #10

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    I got the N2204, monopod option is one of the main reasons I went for it... Sure, I've used it at least once so far... If you only shoot Landscape, you probably won't need it so much. But if you use your DSLR like your second eye, and given the cramp conditions of Singapore... a Monopod is good to have, if you budget permits it... Take it this way, once you got the N2204, you probably won't need to think about monopods in the future... (One less item to hang around in your room).

    I second that. The N2204 is compact and light enuff to fit into my bookbag.

    Besides, won't a tripod function like a monopod if u didnt spread out its legs?
    Insert Ego Here

  11. #11
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by BaneMKII View Post

    I second that. The N2204 is compact and light enuff to fit into my bookbag.

    Besides, won't a tripod function like a monopod if u didnt spread out its legs?
    Sometimes if you know you won't get to use the tripod at all, it's better to shed excess weight and just carry the monopod... Like if you're going to attend the F1 race night...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    As a guide:

    Shuttle speed < 1/30s = Handheld
    Shuttle speed 1/30s - 1/4s = Monopod
    ...With IS,SSS,VS, etc enabled

    Shuttle speed > 1/4s = Tripod
    ...With IS,SSS,VS, etc disabled
    Its shutter not shuttle...

  13. #13

    Default Re: How often do you need a monopod?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Its shutter not shuttle...
    Opps ! ...my bad !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •